Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: cheap wines- mostly so-so, a few good values

Sunday Betsy made it back from Colgate just*in time to make a big
batch of*potato salad, meanwhile I made*8*lbs of baby back ribs.*Then
we traveled*to a*goodbye party for*a couple, good friends*semi-
retiring to Asheville*NC.*There was bbq chicken, lots of salads,*lots
of*nibbles, vegetables,and dessert.*Lovely night on an expansive porch
and backyard*with a*great view of the Hudson and sunset.
*
Bubbly
Sciarpa*Prosecco
light, good acidity, but rather dilute. B-/C+

NV Moissenet-Bonnard Cremant de Bourgogne (mag)
Fairly full, bread, apple and nut aromas, but short and a bit boring.
B-
*
NV Cristalino cava
Light, simple, straightforward, cheapest is the best deal in this
case. *B-

Still wines
2010 Lanycre Rose (Pic St Loup)
Fairly full for rose, herbal notes over strawberry fruit, nice. B
*
NV Marietta "Lot 54"
Only red I tasted. Sweet, simple, straighforward, short. B-/C+
*
2009 Evening Lands "Etoile" Pouilly Fuisse
Clean easy Chardonnay, but nothing that says Lafon, Pouilly Fuisse, or
"worth $20+." B-

2008 Pieropan Soave
Ripe, full, bright, nutty. B

2008 Ermita de Nieve Rueda
Light, lean, this is getting a little tired already, C+/B-

Fun night, but friendship was generally better than the wines

With whole wheat linguine with meat ragu sauce, the 2007 Masciarelli
Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. This wine has a perennial place in my "just
grab them" winerack- like the Pepiere Muscadet, Iche "Les Heretiques",
Guion Bourgueil, etc it's a solid value year after year. Fresh, red
berry and cherry fruit, bright, not complex but not striving for it
either. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 29, 4:17*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Sunday Betsy made it back from Colgate just*in time to make a big
> batch of*potato salad, meanwhile I made*8*lbs of baby back ribs.*Then
> we traveled*to a*goodbye party for*a couple, good friends*semi-
> retiring to Asheville*NC.*There was bbq chicken, lots of salads,*lots
> of*nibbles, vegetables,and dessert.*Lovely night on an expansive porch
> and backyard*with a*great view of the Hudson and sunset.
> *
> Bubbly
> Sciarpa*Prosecco
> light, good acidity, but rather dilute. B-/C+
>
> NV Moissenet-Bonnard Cremant de Bourgogne (mag)
> Fairly full, bread, apple and nut aromas, but short and a bit boring.
> B-
> *
> NV Cristalino cava
> Light, simple, straightforward, cheapest is the best deal in this
> case. *B-
>
> Still wines
> 2010 Lanycre Rose (Pic St Loup)
> Fairly full for rose, herbal notes over strawberry fruit, nice. B
> *
> NV Marietta "Lot 54"
> Only red I tasted. Sweet, simple, straighforward, short. B-/C+
> *
> 2009 Evening Lands "Etoile" Pouilly Fuisse
> Clean easy Chardonnay, but nothing that says Lafon, Pouilly Fuisse, or
> "worth $20+." B-
>
> 2008 Pieropan Soave
> Ripe, full, bright, nutty. B
>
> 2008 Ermita de Nieve Rueda
> Light, lean, this is getting a little tired already, C+/B-
>
> Fun night, but friendship was generally better than the wines
>
> With whole wheat linguine with meat ragu sauce, the 2007 Masciarelli
> Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. This wine has a perennial place in my "just
> grab them" winerack- like the Pepiere Muscadet, Iche "Les Heretiques",
> Guion *Bourgueil, etc it's a solid value year after year. Fresh, red
> berry and cherry fruit, bright, not complex but not striving for it
> either. B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I'm a fan of the Marciarelli also. Consistantly tasty.