Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: cooked white Burg, good white Burg, Barolo

Sunday was a gorgeous Father's Day (78, sunny, low humidity).. I hung with the
dog while Betsy played with Royal Danish Ballet, then when she came home
we prepared for dinner with a friend and his dog. Grilled veal chops, corn,
a white bean salad (with shaved asparagus, radishes, and fennel), and
mizuna salad (and marrow bones for the pooches). Lovely night on patio,
with several wines:

1999 Boasso Barolo Serralunga
Not sure why I have couple bottles of this, I usually only buy producers I
know, maybe I had at a store tasting? But glad I do have, rather a nice wine.
I was a little concerned about browning color as I decanted, but it seemed
to resolve and there was only minimal bricking in glass. Plenty of red fruit,
some smoke and tar, violets. Fairly supple tannins for Barolo, balanced
acidity, good length, very nice. B+/A-

2004 Guyon (Domaine Hippolyte Thevenot) Corton Charlemagne
I knew this was a longshot, picked up for $7 because of bad storage.
$7 wasted, this was undrinkable. Color actually good, no flavors of stewed
fruit or madeirazation, not obviously oxidized, just nothng there. Very flat
on palate, clipped/non-existent finish. There were cases of this sold, with
the store warning of storage, I wonder if any of them ended up on winecommune
or other sites selling for normal price. D
(NB: I usually like Guyon, and am sure well treated bottles would be ...a treat).

2009 Pernot Bourgogne Blanc
Ripe, balanced, fresh white fruit with a little hint of soil and nuttiness.
Very very good for the level. B+

Fun night with a good friend though touched with sadness. Betsy has been
playing principal with several pieces with exposed cello solos, the
orchestra had presented her with flowers during bows; she was really
touched - and a bit sad as future looks grim for NYCO orchestra. Bittersweet.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

Interesting bunch of wines, Dale. When I find bottles in the cellar
that I didn't buy, they usually are typically on the order of Yellowtail
or Riunite

> Fun night with a good friend though touched with sadness. Betsy has been
> playing principal with several pieces with exposed cello solos, the
> orchestra had presented her with flowers during bows; she was really
> touched - and a bit sad as future looks grim for NYCO orchestra. Bittersweet.

What a nice gesture by the orchestra! As we discussed in NYC, I hope
for both Betsy's sake and NYC's sake that the NYCO can pull through.
It'll be a shame if they can't.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 00:21:24 -0400, Mark Lipton wrote:

> DaleW wrote:
>
> Interesting bunch of wines, Dale. When I find bottles in the cellar
> that I didn't buy, they usually are typically on the order of Yellowtail
> or Riunite
>

>> Fun night with a good friend though touched with sadness. Betsy has
>> been playing principal with several pieces with exposed cello solos,
>> the orchestra had presented her with flowers during bows; she was
>> really touched - and a bit sad as future looks grim for NYCO orchestra.
>> Bittersweet.

> What a nice gesture by the orchestra! As we discussed in NYC, I hope
> for both Betsy's sake and NYC's sake that the NYCO can pull through.
> It'll be a shame if they can't.
>
> Mark Lipton

With orchestras all over the states going belly up left and right
(even the venerable and world renowned Philadelphia Orchestra declared
chapter 11 recently) I am glad that I made the decision to leave that "so
called profession" a half century ago.

Godzilla

TN: value white Burg- Pernot DaleW Wine 2 01-12-2010 02:34 PM
White Burg, Cal Cab Bi!! Wine 0 13-08-2010 06:54 PM
TN: white Burg, high and low DaleW Wine 0 05-03-2010 08:58 PM
TN: 3 good wines- 2 Burg (red and white), one MSR DaleW Wine 3 17-01-2010 01:44 AM
TN: so-so & worse VdP, good white Burg and Beaujolais DaleW Wine 0 06-01-2006 02:14 AM