Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Effect of blending on terroir

I would have thought that the more blended a wine is, the more terroir
is obscured.

Or is the function of blending to highlight terroir?
Posted to alt.food.wine

aesthete8 wrote:
> I would have thought that the more blended a wine is, the more terroir
> is obscured.
>
> Or is the function of blending to highlight terroir?

There has been the opinion expressed that terroir is most easily found
in monocepage (i.y,e., unblended) wines with Pinot Noir from Burgundy as
the exemplar. However, Bordeaux has traditionally produced blends and
many would argue that the signature of terroir in Pauillac is different
from that of neighboring St. Estephe. Personally, I find it all a bit
too focused on language and not enough on wine.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

In message >
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> aesthete8 wrote:
>> I would have thought that the more blended a wine is, the more terroir
>> is obscured.
>>
>> Or is the function of blending to highlight terroir?

> There has been the opinion expressed that terroir is most easily found
> in monocepage (i.y,e., unblended) wines with Pinot Noir from Burgundy as
> the exemplar. However, Bordeaux has traditionally produced blends and
> many would argue that the signature of terroir in Pauillac is different
> from that of neighboring St. Estephe. Personally, I find it all a bit
> too focused on language and not enough on wine.

> Mark Lipton

I agree that it can all become a bit geeky but it is always
fascinating to see how different wines can be from different terrois
but in the same Appellation even though they are of the same vintage
made by the same grower and of roughly similar proportions of their
constituent varieties. Many of the growers in the area I know best -
Saint-Émilion — are actively experimenting to discover more about some
aspects of their terroir, notably in determining details of soil type
which, of course, varies considerably not only across the Jurisdiction
but also across many individual estates. They are seeking to plant
the varieties which give the best results, or those they like best, on
those particular soil types. I would certinly argue that those who
know their business best, the growers, are entirely correct to say
that terroir, in all its aspects, not only soil types, plays a real
and vital part in wine. The best growers, in my view, work with
terroir: indeed I would argue that it is not blending but a refusal to
recognise terroir or a willingness to overpower it with over-extracted
fruit and tannins and too much oak which obscures it.

Tim Hartley
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 14:01:42 +0200, Mike Tommasi >
wrote:

>On 11/06/2011 02:46, aesthete8 wrote:
>> I would have thought that the more blended a wine is, the more terroir
>> is obscured.
>>
>> Or is the function of blending to highlight terroir?

>Aesthete, you definitely sound like a bot, you ask too many questions... :-)
>
>Terroir is not specific to a grape variety, you find it in Bordeaux
>blends and Burgundy single variety wines. As long as you reason in terms
>of grapes you will never see terroir. Whatever that is :-)

OH Mike, It has been too long since we have had an old fashioned
donnybrook here at a.f.w though your point seems well taken.

And then to the point, as long as the blending wine doesn't come via
boat from N. Africa . . . or train from Italy etc. the wine can and
stilll does express the fullness of its appelation.

Terroir and blends Dee Dovey Wine 33 22-12-2009 09:49 PM
So much for terroir Martin Field Wine 16 18-03-2008 07:26 AM
Logic of terroir Max Hauser Wine 16 16-04-2007 10:44 AM
FT: Stop the war on terroir Sufaud Wine 0 30-08-2004 10:53 AM
Sancerre and terroir Tom S Wine 16 23-04-2004 01:53 PM