Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '96 Remelluri Rioja

Today our weather returned to a comfortable seasonal temperature. To
celebrate, we cooked a rack of lamb and I brought up a red wine from the
cellar:

1996 Remelluri Rioja
nose: pencil lead, old wood, dusty cherries, leather
palate: high acidity, medium body, decent length

None of the Brettiness that people have reported with this producer.
Quite a nice example of Tempranillo and a good match for the lamb.
Bricking at the edges shows the age of this wine and, while I would say
that it's fully mature, I wouldn't yet call it past its prime. Then
again, I'm not too focused on fruit ;-)

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 23:29:46 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Today our weather returned to a comfortable seasonal temperature. To
>celebrate, we cooked a rack of lamb and I brought up a red wine from the
>cellar:
>
>1996 Remelluri Rioja
>nose: pencil lead, old wood, dusty cherries, leather
>palate: high acidity, medium body, decent length
>
>None of the Brettiness that people have reported with this producer.
>Quite a nice example of Tempranillo and a good match for the lamb.
>Bricking at the edges shows the age of this wine and, while I would say
>that it's fully mature, I wouldn't yet call it past its prime. Then
>again, I'm not too focused on fruit ;-)
>
>Mark Lipton

Mark, this is the Gran Reserva? Obviously not a Crianza from the notes
on old wood and for that matter that it has lived so long.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 6/10/11 9:25 AM, Joseph Coulter wrote:

> Mark, this is the Gran Reserva? Obviously not a Crianza from the notes
> on old wood and for that matter that it has lived so long.

Neither Reserva nor Gran Reserva AFAICT. Dunno if they use the Crianza
designation in La Rioja Alavesa, but that's probably what this was.
Here's the label:

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1704

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 10:30:37 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>On 6/10/11 9:25 AM, Joseph Coulter wrote:
>
>> Mark, this is the Gran Reserva? Obviously not a Crianza from the notes
>> on old wood and for that matter that it has lived so long.

>Neither Reserva nor Gran Reserva AFAICT. Dunno if they use the Crianza
>designation in La Rioja Alavesa, but that's probably what this was.
>Here's the label:
>
>http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1704
>
>Mark Lipton

Of course as soon as I sent the inquiry I noted in my Johnson Pocket
Wine Book that some producers in Rioja are skipping the traditional
labeling. So much for knowing your stuff. This is probably akin to the
Italian super tuscan wish to be freed from constraints, but it leaves
the consumer less knowledgeable in the long run.

Anyway always good to hear from you and get a note on Spanish wines as
well as they are about the only euro denominated wines that leave my
pocketbook semi intact these days.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 6/10/11 1:40 PM, Joseph Coulter wrote:

> Of course as soon as I sent the inquiry I noted in my Johnson Pocket
> Wine Book that some producers in Rioja are skipping the traditional
> labeling. So much for knowing your stuff. This is probably akin to the
> Italian super tuscan wish to be freed from constraints, but it leaves
> the consumer less knowledgeable in the long run.

Well, they do make a Reserva, so they haven't totally abandoned the
classifications.

> Anyway always good to hear from you and get a note on Spanish wines as
> well as they are about the only euro denominated wines that leave my
> pocketbook semi intact these days.

Dunno what your price point is, but these days I do most of my bottom
feeding from the Loire (Muscadet, Anjou, Touraine) and the Beaujolais
(esp. Brun and Vissoux's lower-end bottlings), as my notes probably
indicate.

Mark Lipton

2001 La Rioja Alta "Viña Ardanza" Reserva Especial Rioja Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 4 07-05-2016 11:51 PM
TN: CA, WA, NZ, and Rioja, mostly cheapies DaleW Wine 2 06-07-2009 03:22 PM
How long to keep Rioja Yorkshiresoul Wine 1 15-04-2005 07:51 AM
Rioja Tam Wine 1 28-02-2005 01:01 AM
Some Rioja's Michael Bartlett Wine 1 11-03-2004 08:59 PM