Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '07 Txomin Etxaniz

With today's weather in the blistering range, approaching an historical
high (high 97-98 F), we were in the mood for a light dinner of fish and
white wine. The fish, provided by our local fishmonger at the Farmer's
Market, was fresh, wild-caught mahi-mahi and some fresh scallops.
Though I'd initially planned to grill the mahi-mahi outdoors, severe
thunderstorm warnings and tornado watches -- along with the incredible
heat -- dissuaded me from spending much more time out of doors.
Instead, we salt broiled the fish and pan seared the scallops. For a
wine I opened a fairly recent purchase:

2007 Txomin Etxaniz Getariako Txakolina
nose: citrus, a hint of salinity
palate: moderately crisp, light, clean

The light yellow color the wine was the first indication (after the fake
cork that I'd pulled out) that this wine might be less fresh than my
previous Txakolina experiences. Fortunately, neither Jean nor I could
detect any hint of oxidation in the nose or on the palate, so it was
fine if rounder and less crisp than younger examples have been.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '07 Txomin Etxaniz

On Jun 4, 11:36*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> With today's weather in the blistering range, approaching an historical
> high (high 97-98 F), we were in the mood for a light dinner of fish and
> white wine. *The fish, provided by our local fishmonger at the Farmer's
> Market, was fresh, wild-caught mahi-mahi and some fresh scallops.
> Though I'd initially planned to grill the mahi-mahi outdoors, severe
> thunderstorm warnings and tornado watches -- along with the incredible
> heat -- dissuaded me from spending much more time out of doors.
> Instead, we salt broiled the fish and pan seared the scallops. *For a
> wine I opened a fairly recent purchase:
>
> 2007 Txomin Etxaniz Getariako Txakolina
> nose: citrus, a hint of salinity
> palate: moderately crisp, light, clean
>
> The light yellow color the wine was the first indication (after the fake
> cork that I'd pulled out) that this wine might be less fresh than my
> previous Txakolina experiences. *Fortunately, neither Jean nor I could
> detect any hint of oxidation in the nose or on the palate, so it was
> fine if rounder and less crisp than younger examples have been.
>
> Mark Lipton

We get zero Basque wines in New Mexico so I haven't had this producer
since 2005. I always drink these within 2 years of bottling because I
like the fresh clean acidity. With that kind of weather and probably
the humidity to go with it, crisp and acidic would probably be nice.