Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Ridge 1973 California Cabernet Sauvigon Monte Bello

The wine is Ridge 1973 California Cabernet Sauvigon Monte Bello. It
was from 2300 - 2600 ft elevation, had 12.8% alcohol, and was bottled
in Oct. 1975. It has been stored properly since release.This was my
last bottle, and I decided to drink it because the level in the bottle
had dropped a bit below the neck. I am glad I opened it, because the
cork was nearing failure. It crumbled easily, but I finally got it out
without dropping cork crumbs in the bottle.

The color is still fairly deep with a bit of age showing around the
rim. It is typical Ridge in bouquet and taste and still has enough
fruit and some medium tannin. It is a much better food wine than many
of the monsters made in the 70s. It is a bit lighter than some of the
Monte Bellos from more famous years. The wine was holding much better
than the cork.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 30, 5:39*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> The wine is Ridge 1973 California Cabernet Sauvigon Monte Bello. It
> was from 2300 - 2600 ft elevation, had 12.8% alcohol, and was bottled
> in Oct. 1975. It has been stored properly since release.This was my
> last bottle, and I decided to drink it because the level in the bottle
> had dropped a bit below the neck. I am glad I opened it, because the
> cork was nearing failure. It crumbled easily, but I finally got it out
> without dropping cork crumbs in the bottle.
>
> The color is still fairly deep with a bit of age showing around the
> rim. It is typical Ridge in bouquet and taste and still has enough
> fruit and some medium tannin. It is a much better food wine than many
> of the monsters made in the 70s. It is a bit lighter than some of the
> Monte Bellos from more famous years. The wine was holding much better
> than the cork.

Thanks for the notes. I still have a few bottles of Monte Bello from
1976 and 1978 as well as a few from the 80's. I better drink-
up...it's on my list for 2011.
Posted to alt.food.wine

cwdjrxyz wrote:
> The wine is Ridge 1973 California Cabernet Sauvigon Monte Bello. It
> was from 2300 - 2600 ft elevation, had 12.8% alcohol, and was bottled
> in Oct. 1975. It has been stored properly since release.This was my
> last bottle, and I decided to drink it because the level in the bottle
> had dropped a bit below the neck. I am glad I opened it, because the
> cork was nearing failure. It crumbled easily, but I finally got it out
> without dropping cork crumbs in the bottle.
>
> The color is still fairly deep with a bit of age showing around the
> rim. It is typical Ridge in bouquet and taste and still has enough
> fruit and some medium tannin. It is a much better food wine than many
> of the monsters made in the 70s. It is a bit lighter than some of the
> Monte Bellos from more famous years. The wine was holding much better
> than the cork.

As I've said before, you do drink well, CW. 1973 was a quite highly
regarded vintage in certain CA wine circles, but it was overshadowed by
the success of the following year (1974). No surprise that Ridge made a
very good wine in '73, either. Monte Bello is one of the few CalCabs
that I still pay attention to.

Mark Lipton