FoodBanter.com

-   -   [TN] Hirsch GV (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/407892-tn-hirsch-gv.html)

Mark Lipton[_1_] 29-05-2011 05:22 AM

[TN] Hirsch GV

Tonight marked the arrival of fresh, wild-caught salmon back in our
local fishmonger's. With a wood-grilled filet of Copper River Sockeye,
I opened:

2008 Hirsch Grüner Veltliner Heiligenstein (Kamptal)
nose: green/herbal, honey, stone fruit
palate: moderate acidity, rich, long finish

Initially, this wine was a bit reticent, but upon warming it was
transformed into one of the finest GVs I've had in quite a while. I had
bought this on the presumption that it would have Federspiel-like
weight, but in fact it came across more as the equivalent of a Smaragd.
Regardless, it was lovely and went splendidly with the salmon.

Mark Lipton

Mark Lipton[_1_] 29-05-2011 06:16 PM

[TN] Hirsch GV

Mark Lipton wrote:
> Tonight marked the arrival of fresh, wild-caught salmon back in our
> local fishmonger's. With a wood-grilled filet of Copper River Sockeye,
> I opened:
>
> 2008 Hirsch Grüner Veltliner Heiligenstein (Kamptal)
> nose: green/herbal, honey, stone fruit
> palate: moderate acidity, rich, long finish
>
> Initially, this wine was a bit reticent, but upon warming it was
> transformed into one of the finest GVs I've had in quite a while. I had
> bought this on the presumption that it would have Federspiel-like
> weight, but in fact it came across more as the equivalent of a Smaragd.
> Regardless, it was lovely and went splendidly with the salmon.
>
> Mark Lipton

Correction: it was the '09. I somehow entered it wrong in Cellartracker.

Mark Lipton

Michael Pronay 05-06-2011 09:11 AM

[TN] Hirsch GV

Mark Lipton wrote:

> 200[9] Hirsch Grüner Veltliner Heiligenstein (Kamptal)
>
> I had bought this on the presumption that it would have
> Federspiel-like weight, but in fact it came across more
> as the equivalent of a Smaragd.

I thought that the alcohol was something like 13% or more -
but finally I see that it's 12.5, so I can follow your
thoughts.

M.