Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: SOBER does Burgundy, Alsace, Tuscany, and Bordeaux

SOBER at Mike's place last night, and a very pleasant evening it was. Started with an excellent glass of Bernard Bremont "Cuvee Prestige" Brut, and then we sat for the blind wines.

Wine #1 (solo, Mike said this one doesn't really count)
Lemon, apple, Mark says Chardonnay immediately and that seems right. There's actually a little lemon pledge edge I don't care for, others don't get.* Once I get past that pretty good, good length. It's the 2006 Leroy Bourgogne (unsure if domaine or negoce). B-

After that, 4 flights of 3, each with a food pairing (and a bread pairing, as Franco said "everyone should do a different bread with each course)

First flight, with fish (halibut?) and* broccoli

Wine #2- Tropical, rich, mature but balanced, easily my favorite of flight. 1990 Latour Corton-Charlemagne. B+

Wine #3- the smelll of this was weird. Some called it oxidized, I'm sticking with weird. Nose of plastic and coconut. Quite unpleasant. Palate is a touch better, raising score to C. 2000 Latour Corton-Charlemagne, C

Wine #4- Full, woody, needs time. 2007 Latour Corton-Charlemagne. B-

Second flight
with a great cold carrot soup, and cornbread (Mike did well with pairings oveall , but this stood out)
Mark and Andy said Gewurz immediately, I agreed on first 2 but thought last (#7) was dessert Riesling.

Wine #5- just a hint of sugar, lychee, musk, good depth, length, my favorite of flight. 1992 Zind-Humbrecht "Hengst" Gewurztraminer. B+

Wine #6- jGauva, lychee, a big bitter streak (Craig also thought #5 had the bitter streak, I didn't). Edging hot. 1993 Zind-Humbrecht "Herrenweg de Turckheim" Gewurztraminer. B-

Wine #7- Darker color, quite sweet (guesses were SGN), rich, peaches and petrol. Not really my style of sweet, others liked more.* 1995 Zind-Humbrecht "Herrenweg de Turckheim" Gewurztraminer VT, B/B-

Third Flight
I think someone made an errant guess of Piedmont,then several got Tuscany. I was thinking bolder Chianti, but someone quickly got Brunello vertical.I gave up guessing, as I don't know Brunello producers well. Terrific lasagna..

Wine #8-big fruit, slight pruney edge but not unpleasant. low to medium acids, good length. 1997 Altesino "Montosoli" Brunello di Montalcino. B

Wine #9- a hint of animal/brett that bothered some others more than me,
full, dynamic. 2001 Altesino "Montosoli" Brunello di Montalcino B+

Wine #10
A bit of a lifted edge to nose, but palate is deep and rich. Big but balanced. 2004 Altesino "Montosoli" Brunello di Montalcino. B+

Flight Four
with a great cheese plate- Comte, a cheddar, an excellent domestic goat cheese, and Hayley Bazen blue

I think Bordeaux was pretty apparent, but I was surprised it was a horizontal, as some seemed younger.

Wine #11- some funk, ripe, mature, good. 1996 Clos du Marquis B+

Wine #12- sweet cassis, a little forest floor, young fruit, complex, excellent length. 1996 Pontet-Canet B+/A-

Wine #13- very herby/minty, I was thinking RB with significant CF, but I was wrong. Hard to get a fix on, fruit profile seems fairly mature, but drying tannins. 1996 Cos D'Estournel B/B-

Really fun night, interesting wines, great food, excellent pairing..

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

TN: Tuscany, Ruwer, Alsace DaleW Wine 0 28-02-2014 10:44 PM
TN: SOBER with Champagnes, Burgundies, Bordeaux, Calis, Loire, Alsace DaleW Wine 1 13-09-2011 05:09 PM
TN: SOBER at my place- Piedmont, Alsace, CA, Burgundy, Champagne,Port DaleW Wine 8 07-12-2009 11:55 PM
TN: SOBER at my house (Bdx, Burgs, Alsace, Rioja, and MSR) DaleW Wine 3 07-11-2008 01:29 AM
TN: Bordeaux, Tuscany, Burgundy, Galicia DaleW Wine 1 16-06-2008 02:49 PM