FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Gallo Family Zinfandel (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/407800-tn-gallo-family-zinfandel.html)

Emery Davis[_3_] 25-05-2011 10:28 PM

TN: Gallo Family Zinfandel

Adele picked this up in a fit of misguided sentimentality. With a very
good simple cheese souffle and salad.

Nose: Unfortunate combination of home brewery and old cave mold.

Color: "Smoke on the water, and fire in the skiiy.." (Sung to the tune of).

Mouth: Cherry cola? No... sweet Robitussin? No... Pediacare cherry
flavored? (Those with kids will know).

Truly and historically awful. I'd give it a D on the Dale Scale for
showing up, but we had no hot water for 3 days and the elevator broke
down twice today. Not feeling that charitable. I don't honestly
remember the taste of the Mad Dogs of my mis-spent youth, but I can't
imagine they were worse. We each drank a half glass -- it went far
better with salad than with the souffle -- and poured the rest down the
sink to mingle with its fellows in the sewer.

-E

Mateusz Papiernik 25-05-2011 10:30 PM

TN: Gallo Family Zinfandel

W dniu 2011-05-25 23:28, Emery Davis pisze:
> Adele picked this up in a fit of misguided sentimentality. With a very
> good simple cheese souffle and salad.
>
> Nose: Unfortunate combination of home brewery and old cave mold.
>
> Color: "Smoke on the water, and fire in the skiiy.." (Sung to the tune of).
>
> Mouth: Cherry cola? No... sweet Robitussin? No... Pediacare cherry
> flavored? (Those with kids will know).

Hm... interesting. Was it a "Turn Leaf" version, or an ordinary
Zinfandel from Gallo Family?

it's been some time since I drank the ordinary one, but I remember I
always enjoyed their Zins are cheap plain party wines with no bells &
whistles. Never - seriously, never - had this kind of traumatic
experience with these bottles.

It's sad to hear their quality is going down :(

--
Mateusz Papiernik
, http://www.maticomp.net

Emery Davis[_3_] 26-05-2011 09:31 AM

TN: Gallo Family Zinfandel

On 05/25/2011 11:30 PM, Mateusz Papiernik wrote:
> W dniu 2011-05-25 23:28, Emery Davis pisze:
>> Adele picked this up in a fit of misguided sentimentality. With a very
>> good simple cheese souffle and salad.
>>
>> Nose: Unfortunate combination of home brewery and old cave mold.
>>
>> Color: "Smoke on the water, and fire in the skiiy.." (Sung to the tune of).
>>
>> Mouth: Cherry cola? No... sweet Robitussin? No... Pediacare cherry
>> flavored? (Those with kids will know).

> Hm... interesting. Was it a "Turn Leaf" version, or an ordinary
> Zinfandel from Gallo Family?
>
> it's been some time since I drank the ordinary one, but I remember I
> always enjoyed their Zins are cheap plain party wines with no bells &
> whistles. Never - seriously, never - had this kind of traumatic
> experience with these bottles.

This was the regular Zin, from the taste most of it had never seen a
leaf much less a turning one. ;) A seriously fabricated beverage.

-E

Mateusz Papiernik 27-05-2011 07:14 PM

TN: Gallo Family Zinfandel

W dniu 2011-05-26 10:31, Emery Davis pisze:
> This was the regular Zin, from the taste most of it had never seen a
> leaf much less a turning one. ;) A seriously fabricated beverage.

Thanks for you review, Emery :) It's a sign I should stay away from
their wines for a while. Honestly, I have tried a Cab from one of their
estates lately and it was less than acceptable. Maybe these wines were
different some time ago, or maybe my palate has grown a bit since then.
Either case, there are better wines out there to enjoy :)