Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1996 Montelena Estate and Mondavi Reserve Cabernets

Continuing with my cellar reduction program I opened a couple of
cabernets from a couple ofmy favorite Napa producers during the 90's.
Chateau Montelena and Robert Mondavi. While 1996 was not my favorite
vintage from Napa in the 90's, it was a good year for producing
structured and long lived cabernets. I decanted both wines an hour
before pouring.
1996 Chateau Montelena Estate Napa Cabernet-Still inky black showing
virtually no age in the glass. Nose of cassis, blackberry, black
pepper, mint and espresso. Medium weight on the palate with firm
powerful tannins. The wine was muscular as Montelena often is and had
a lot of similarities to Pauillac. Plenty of lead pencil, anise,
cassis and a loamy eathy note. Still quite young, this wine will last
easily another 10-15 years if not longer. "A-"

1996 Robert Mondavi Reserve Napa Cabernet-Dark reddish with a bit of
brick at the edge. The Mondavi was showing a touch more age than the
Montelena with more mature aromas of leather and cedar but
predominantly plum, currants and Napa dust. Very smooth and rich on
the palate with red and black fruits, quite complex and plush with
soft resolved tannins. A bit more complexity than the Montelena at
this point. "A-"

These wines are really interesting to compare as they are variations
on a theme. Hard to pick a winner.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 24, 11:48*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> Continuing with my cellar reduction program I opened a couple of
> cabernets from a couple ofmy favorite Napa producers during the 90's.
> Chateau Montelena and Robert Mondavi. *While 1996 was not my favorite
> vintage from Napa in the 90's, it was a good year for producing
> structured and long lived cabernets. *I decanted both wines an hour
> before pouring.
> 1996 Chateau Montelena Estate Napa Cabernet-Still inky black showing
> virtually no age in the glass. *Nose of cassis, blackberry, black
> pepper, mint and espresso. *Medium weight on the palate with firm
> powerful tannins. *The wine was muscular as Montelena often is and had
> a lot of similarities to Pauillac. *Plenty of lead pencil, anise,
> cassis and a loamy eathy note. *Still quite young, this wine will last
> easily another 10-15 years if not longer. "A-"
>
> 1996 Robert Mondavi Reserve Napa Cabernet-Dark reddish with a bit of
> brick at the edge. The Mondavi was showing a touch more age than the
> Montelena with more mature aromas of leather and cedar but
> predominantly plum, currants and Napa dust. *Very smooth and rich on
> the palate with red and black fruits, quite complex and plush with
> soft resolved tannins. A bit more complexity than the Montelena at
> this point. "A-"
>
> These wines are really interesting to compare as they are variations
> on a theme. *Hard to pick a winner.

Sounds great. One of our friends with an enormous Italian Cellar is
going to do a reduction party this weekend. He is keeping it close to
the vest.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 24, 6:15*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
> On May 24, 11:48*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > Continuing with my cellar reduction program I opened a couple of
> > cabernets from a couple ofmy favorite Napa producers during the 90's.
> > Chateau Montelena and Robert Mondavi. *While 1996 was not my favorite
> > vintage from Napa in the 90's, it was a good year for producing
> > structured and long lived cabernets. *I decanted both wines an hour
> > before pouring.
> > 1996 Chateau Montelena Estate Napa Cabernet-Still inky black showing
> > virtually no age in the glass. *Nose of cassis, blackberry, black
> > pepper, mint and espresso. *Medium weight on the palate with firm
> > powerful tannins. *The wine was muscular as Montelena often is and had
> > a lot of similarities to Pauillac. *Plenty of lead pencil, anise,
> > cassis and a loamy eathy note. *Still quite young, this wine will last
> > easily another 10-15 years if not longer. "A-"

> > 1996 Robert Mondavi Reserve Napa Cabernet-Dark reddish with a bit of
> > brick at the edge. The Mondavi was showing a touch more age than the
> > Montelena with more mature aromas of leather and cedar but
> > predominantly plum, currants and Napa dust. *Very smooth and rich on
> > the palate with red and black fruits, quite complex and plush with
> > soft resolved tannins. A bit more complexity than the Montelena at
> > this point. "A-"

> > These wines are really interesting to compare as they are variations
> > on a theme. *Hard to pick a winner.

> Sounds great. One of our friends with an enormous Italian Cellar is
> going to do a reduction party this weekend. He is keeping it close to
> the vest.

I have one scheduled for next Saturday the 4th. I'm taking most of my
orphans and placing a couple bottles on each table with instructions
to wander and pour at will. I found some very strange stuff down there
in the orphan bins. 1987 B R Cohn Olive Hill Cab, 1991 Cafaro Merlot,
1999 Ilona Howell Mountain cab, 1999 Luna Canto Napa Sangiovese/Merlot
blend, 1990 Raymond Private Reserve Meritage, 1998 Burgess Enveiere,
1991 Michel-Schlumberger Cab, 1991 Optima Alexander Valley Cab, 2000
Anomaly Napa Cab etc.. I'm also opening a 5 litre of 1994 Chateau
Montelena as a reward for drinking through the various and sundry
bottles that will be opened.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 25, 11:53*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On May 24, 6:15*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
>

> > On May 24, 11:48*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > Continuing with my cellar reduction program I opened a couple of
> > > cabernets from a couple ofmy favorite Napa producers during the 90's.
> > > Chateau Montelena and Robert Mondavi. *While 1996 was not my favorite
> > > vintage from Napa in the 90's, it was a good year for producing
> > > structured and long lived cabernets. *I decanted both wines an hour
> > > before pouring.
> > > 1996 Chateau Montelena Estate Napa Cabernet-Still inky black showing
> > > virtually no age in the glass. *Nose of cassis, blackberry, black
> > > pepper, mint and espresso. *Medium weight on the palate with firm
> > > powerful tannins. *The wine was muscular as Montelena often is and had
> > > a lot of similarities to Pauillac. *Plenty of lead pencil, anise,
> > > cassis and a loamy eathy note. *Still quite young, this wine will last
> > > easily another 10-15 years if not longer. "A-"

> > > 1996 Robert Mondavi Reserve Napa Cabernet-Dark reddish with a bit of
> > > brick at the edge. The Mondavi was showing a touch more age than the
> > > Montelena with more mature aromas of leather and cedar but
> > > predominantly plum, currants and Napa dust. *Very smooth and rich on
> > > the palate with red and black fruits, quite complex and plush with
> > > soft resolved tannins. A bit more complexity than the Montelena at
> > > this point. "A-"

> > > These wines are really interesting to compare as they are variations
> > > on a theme. *Hard to pick a winner.

> > Sounds great. One of our friends with an enormous Italian Cellar is
> > going to do a reduction party this weekend. He is keeping it close to
> > the vest.

> I have one scheduled for next Saturday the 4th. *I'm taking most of my
> orphans and placing a couple bottles on each table with instructions
> to wander and pour at will. I found some very strange stuff down there
> in the orphan bins. *1987 B R Cohn Olive Hill Cab, 1991 Cafaro Merlot,
> 1999 Ilona Howell Mountain cab, 1999 Luna Canto Napa Sangiovese/Merlot
> blend, 1990 Raymond Private Reserve Meritage, 1998 Burgess Enveiere,
> 1991 Michel-Schlumberger Cab, 1991 Optima Alexander Valley Cab, 2000
> Anomaly Napa Cab etc.. *I'm also opening a 5 litre of 1994 Chateau
> Montelena as a reward for drinking through the various and sundry
> bottles that will be opened.

Sounds good. I am salivating as to what will be put out. I'm bringing
short ribs in Barolo.

1996 Chateau Montelena Estate Napa Cabernet Bi!! Wine 0 29-08-2016 03:58 PM
1998 Chateau Montelena Estate Bi!! Wine 2 26-04-2013 04:05 PM
Napa Reserve, Ducru, Montelena, Torbreck Bill S. Wine 1 16-12-2007 08:25 PM
74 Mondavi Reserve winoman Wine 9 17-11-2006 03:15 AM
'01 Montelena Estate Wine 3 28-02-2005 12:07 AM