Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Spanish, Italian whites, cheap Pomerol, Champers

So we fly back in Wed, but Betsy's cousin and her husband arrive same
day for a short visit. We welcome them before dinner with the NV Pehu
Simonet Grand Cru Brut. A bit of a creamy edge, decent acids, a little
short. OK, but not looking to buy more. B-

Dinner was artic char over soba in a Meyer lemondressing, with
spinach on the side.

2006 Castellroig Terroja de Sabate i Coca Xarello
Lemon, orange zest, chalky. Big, balanced, quite a nice wine, I could
drink this regularly. B+

2007 Feudi di San Gregorio Falanghina (Sannio) 375 ml
I've had mixed luck with this batch of halves, but this is a nice
bottle- good acidity, crisp fruit, almond nuttiness. B

Betsy spent day in city at luthier and then with cousin at MOMA, when
she came home I had dinner almost ready- grilled lamb chops and
squash, she was in charge of sauteeing the mushrooms.

2009 Martinsancho Verdejo
Nice, ripe but not flabby, a bit grassy (you could tell me this was SB
and I'd have believed it), no apparent oak, tropical/pineapple and
citrus, good length. B/B+

2007 Ch. Plince (Pomerol)
Hey, not bad for $10 Pomerol. Blackcurrant, cocoa, tannins a bit hard,
mediumbodied, not real long, but fine for price. B-

with pasta with clams and cherry tomatoes, the 2008 Pieropan Soave
(screwcap). Green apples, lemon, flowers and a light nutty edge on
nose. Very food friendly, nice wine/ B/B+