Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1991 Simi Alexander Valley reserve Cabernet sauvignon

In my quest to clear orphans from my cellar I came upon this 1999 Simi
Alexander Valley Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon in my orphan bin last
night. WIne was quite dark with a faint hint of brick at the rim.
Nose was starting to show some mature notes of plummy raisiny aromas
and a bit of cedar. Still fairly big tannic structure on the palate
with some cassis and plum with a fairly strong herbal note to the
finish. OK but not great. "B-"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 19, 9:30*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> In my quest to clear orphans from my cellar I came upon this 1999 Simi
> Alexander Valley Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon in my orphan bin last
> night. *WIne was quite dark with a faint hint of brick at the rim.
> Nose was starting to show some mature notes of plummy raisiny aromas
> and a bit of cedar. *Still fairly big tannic structure on the palate
> with some cassis and plum with a fairly strong herbal note to the
> finish. *OK but not great. "B-"

Always wonder what to expect from a winery where the buses stop. They
haven't been good since the early 90's.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 19, 2:53*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
> On May 19, 9:30*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > In my quest to clear orphans from my cellar I came upon this 1999 Simi
> > Alexander Valley Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon in my orphan bin last
> > night. *WIne was quite dark with a faint hint of brick at the rim.
> > Nose was starting to show some mature notes of plummy raisiny aromas
> > and a bit of cedar. *Still fairly big tannic structure on the palate
> > with some cassis and plum with a fairly strong herbal note to the
> > finish. *OK but not great. "B-"

> Always wonder what to expect from a winery where the buses stop. They
> haven't been good since the early 90's.

I'm quite sure that the bottle was a gift from someone which is where
a lot of the bottles in my orphan bin come from. It always puzzles me
when people/friends who know my background in the wine business and my
cellar bring me bottles of wine. I can't tell you how many bottles of
Sutter Home White Zin or Turning Leaf Chardonnay I have received over
the years.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/20/11 1:06 PM, Bi!! wrote:

> I'm quite sure that the bottle was a gift from someone which is where
> a lot of the bottles in my orphan bin come from. It always puzzles me
> when people/friends who know my background in the wine business and my
> cellar bring me bottles of wine. I can't tell you how many bottles of
> Sutter Home White Zin or Turning Leaf Chardonnay I have received over
> the years.

Same here, Bill. I guess the thinking is "They like wine. I should
bring them something. Oh, here's a nice-looking bottle!"

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" > wrote in message
| In my quest to clear orphans from my cellar I came upon this 1999 Simi
| Alexander Valley Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon in my orphan bin last
| night. WIne was quite dark with a faint hint of brick at the rim.
| Nose was starting to show some mature notes of plummy raisiny aromas
| and a bit of cedar. Still fairly big tannic structure on the palate
| with some cassis and plum with a fairly strong herbal note to the
| finish. OK but not great. "B-"

Thank you, but just for the record, which year was the Simi Cab?

pavane

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 20, 4:07*pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "Bi!!" > wrote in message

> | In my quest to clear orphans from my cellar I came upon this 1999 Simi
> | Alexander Valley Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon in my orphan bin last
> | night. *WIne was quite dark with a faint hint of brick at the rim.
> | Nose was starting to show some mature notes of plummy raisiny aromas
> | and a bit of cedar. *Still fairly big tannic structure on the palate
> | with some cassis and plum with a fairly strong herbal note to the
> | finish. *OK but not great. "B-"
>
> Thank you, but just for the record, which year was the Simi Cab?
>
> pavane

Sorry. Typo. 1999
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 19, 11:30*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> In my quest to clear orphans from my cellar I came upon this 1999 Simi
> Alexander Valley Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon in my orphan bin last
> night. *WIne was quite dark with a faint hint of brick at the rim.
> Nose was starting to show some mature notes of plummy raisiny aromas
> and a bit of cedar. *Still fairly big tannic structure on the palate
> with some cassis and plum with a fairly strong herbal note to the
> finish. *OK but not great. "B-"

thanks for clarification, If a 1991 I was going to be surprised a Simi
was holding at 20, but '99 is more what I'd expect. Good notes.