Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] 2009 Causse Marines Marcillac

With tonight's dinner of roast chicken, I opened:

2009 Causse Marines Marcillac
nose: initially, grapey/carbonic macercation, pepper; later turning
smoky with graphite notes
palate: fleshy, balanced acidity, medium body, smooth tannins

The previous edition of this wine (the '08) was one of my wines of the
year in 2010. This year's version is fleshier and more full-bodied,
though still not a ponderous or heavy wine. Also, the more herbaceous
qualities of last year's wine were not much in evidence in the '09. In
both years I got a resemblance to Cab Franc, but whereas the '08 called
to mind the Cab Francs of the Loire, the '09 puts me in mind of St.
Emilion with its more torrefactive notes. Still lovely, but I'm keeping
my second bottle of this in the cellar to see how it develops with time.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2009 Causse Marines Marcillac

On May 13, 1:32*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> With tonight's dinner of roast chicken, I opened:
>
> 2009 Causse Marines Marcillac
> nose: initially, grapey/carbonic macercation, pepper; later turning
> smoky with graphite notes
> palate: fleshy, balanced acidity, medium body, smooth tannins
>
> The previous edition of this wine (the '08) was one of my wines of the
> year in 2010. *This year's version is fleshier and more full-bodied,
> though still not a ponderous or heavy wine. *Also, the more herbaceous
> qualities of last year's wine were not much in evidence in the '09. *In
> both years I got a resemblance to Cab Franc, but whereas the '08 called
> to mind the Cab Francs of the Loire, the '09 puts me in mind of St.
> Emilion with its more torrefactive notes. *Still lovely, but I'm keeping
> my second bottle of this in the cellar to see how it develops with time.
>
> Mark Lipton

Torrefactive? LOL! I looked it up and I still don't know what it
means!! As close as I can determine...smokey?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/13/11 8:17 AM, Bi!! wrote:

> Torrefactive? LOL! I looked it up and I still don't know what it
> means!! As close as I can determine...smokey?

Yup, smoke/fire/char, that sort of thing. After googling for the term,
I'll have to put the blame on David Schildknecht as he seems to be the
only other person who uses the term. ;-)

Mark Schildlipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 13, 9:27*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 5/13/11 8:17 AM, Bi!! wrote:
>
> > Torrefactive? *LOL! *I looked it up and I still don't know what it
> > means!! *As close as I can determine...smokey?

> Yup, smoke/fire/char, that sort of thing. *After googling for the term,
> I'll have to put the blame on David Schildknecht as he seems to be the
> only other person who uses the term. ;-)
>
> Mark Schildlipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I thought it was one of those highly technical molecular physics sort
of terms. As google defines torrefaction as: "Torrefaction of biomass
can be described as a mild form of pyrolysis at temperatures typically
ranging between 200-320 °C. During torrefaction the biomass properties
are changed to obtain a much better fuel quality for combustion and
gasification applications. Torrefaction combined with densification
leads to a very energy dense fuel carrier of 20-25 GJ/ton." BTW, I
don't know if you know David Schildknect but he takes wine geekdom to
another level.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 13, 1:32*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> With tonight's dinner of roast chicken, I opened:
>
> 2009 Causse Marines Marcillac
> nose: initially, grapey/carbonic macercation, pepper; later turning
> smoky with graphite notes
> palate: fleshy, balanced acidity, medium body, smooth tannins
>
> The previous edition of this wine (the '08) was one of my wines of the
> year in 2010. *This year's version is fleshier and more full-bodied,
> though still not a ponderous or heavy wine. *Also, the more herbaceous
> qualities of last year's wine were not much in evidence in the '09. *In
> both years I got a resemblance to Cab Franc, but whereas the '08 called
> to mind the Cab Francs of the Loire, the '09 puts me in mind of St.
> Emilion with its more torrefactive notes. *Still lovely, but I'm keeping
> my second bottle of this in the cellar to see how it develops with time.
>
> Mark Lipton

thanks for notes. I should have fought my way thru crowds at Dressner
tasting to get to Causse Marines table.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/13/11 4:21 PM, DaleW wrote:

> thanks for notes. I should have fought my way thru crowds at Dressner
> tasting to get to Causse Marines table.

No crowds at the Causse Marines table in Chicago, but no Virginie,
either However, Kevin McKenna did an admirable job of pouring and
informing us about the wines. Alas, one of the facts he told us was
that 2010 will be the last vintage for this wine as the vineyard owners
are unwilling to commit to organic viticulture and the Causse Marines
folks are unwilling to compromise. What this means is that I'll have to
look for the Domaine du Cros Marcillac and try Causse Marines's other
wines (Gaillac and Peyrezoulles).

Mark Lipton

OT Kittens in Afghanistan rescued by US Marines pavane[_3_] General Cooking 3 16-07-2010 03:06 PM
[TN] Marcillac! Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 01-12-2009 03:40 PM
A Mossad truck bomb that killed 242 US marines in 1983 Beirut Bent Attorney Esq.[_2_] General Cooking 0 11-09-2009 09:40 PM
US marines for 911 truth ... [email protected] General Cooking 23 15-08-2007 07:25 AM
Marcillac AyTee Wine 2 21-01-2006 02:35 AM