Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Oak Leaf Pinot Grigio

On a recent excursion to Wal Mart, my curiosity was peaked when I saw
several varietals under the Oak Leaf label. At home, I Googled several
references and comments from others. Yesterday, I decided to make the
plunge and part with $2.77 for scientific research. As fortune would have
it, my expenditure came out to less for I scored a 25 cent piece in the
parking lot on the way in. Over the years, I have found quite a bit of
money by training my eyes downward as I walk, whereas I have never found
anything of value in the sky.

It turned out to have a clean varietal nose, with a slight mineral
overtone. The acidity was a bit much for the balance, but not
overwhelming. Food friendly would be an appropriate description, and it
went well with the Classic Risotto that I prepared for dinner. In recent
years, I have been using Dry Vermouth in the preparation of my Rissotti,
but this time I substituted some of the Pinot Grigio. In this
application, the acidity did throw off the balance somewhat. In the
future, I shall revert to using the Dry Vermouth.

One should approach a wine like this not expecting to discover an
unheralded Chateau D'Yquem. Over the years, I have experienced many worse
wines, some that I would call MUCH MUCH worse at MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE
price tags. Would I purchase it again? With my present expenses and
income plus the recent addition of a weekly babysitter for my Alzheimer
spouse, the answer is an unqualified YES. I will even try some of the
other Oak Leaf varietals in the future. Just set a different standard
before one pours. My days of drinking Haut Brions and Lafites are now
sadly past.

Godzilla

TN: 2 '13 Loire SBs, 1 98 St. Emilion, 1 Pinot Grigio DaleW Wine 0 19-11-2014 03:08 PM
Pinot Grigio will never be the same aesthete8 Wine 0 13-10-2010 07:12 PM
Pinot Grigio dickr2 Wine 24 24-11-2009 10:45 PM
[TN] 2005 Movia Pinot Grigio Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 14-07-2008 04:23 AM
TN Quartzit QbA, Pinot Grigio, old Santenay DaleW Wine 0 21-08-2007 03:05 PM