FoodBanter.com

-   -   Need recommendations for Bordeaux (Pomerol, Pauillac, St. Julien,Haut-Medoc) (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/407372-need-recommendations-bordeaux-pomerol.html)

Jay Kay 10-05-2011 03:03 AM

Need recommendations for Bordeaux (Pomerol, Pauillac, St. Julien,Haut-Medoc)

Greetings

I am planning on a wine tasting evening with some friends for which I
want to focus on Bordeaux (left and right bank). I need recommendations
for some Bordeaux in the inexpensive range (US$15-$40) from the following
appellations.

Pomerol,
Pauillac,
St. Julien,
Haut-Medoc

I'd like the vineyard/winery and year and if possible what you paid for/
from which store (US) (so that I know the rough range).

I have decided on one (maybe two) as below:

Saint Emilion Grand Cru Chateau Bernateau 2005
2005 Château Haut-Faugeres St. Émilion Grand Cru

The wines will be enjoyed with beef or venison medallions

Please post your response as a followup instead of responding via email.

Thanks in advance.

Jay Kay

santiago 10-05-2011 10:29 AM

Need recommendations for Bordeaux (Pomerol, Pauillac, St. Julien, Haut-Medoc)

For Pomerol, you could try with Chateau Mazeyres, an underlooked state
that makes good wine (ok, no Petrus!) at a price. 2005 (which I have not
tasted) is available in the U.S.A. for $25, and 2006 should be a bit
cheaper, with 2006 being an excellent vintage for Pomerol (actually
better than 2005 as an average).

For Pauillac is not easy because of the price, but Haut Bages Liberal
2006 is quite good for the money ($40 or around) and I think it has quite
Pauillac character.

Saint Julien... I would say Langoa Barton 2005 is a good idea of what a
traditional Saint Julien is, but it would be out of your budget. Perhaps
a Clos du Marquis (second wine of Leoville Las Cases) from a lesser year
(say 2004, 2006, 2001 if you can find it).

Haut-Medoc... go for a La Tour Carnet, a modern style Haut Medoc with a
great QPR. A fav of mine. 2005 goes for around $30.

Another suggestion to your Saint Emilions could be Fombrauge.

To locate the wines, use www.winesearcher.com

Best and enjoy,

s.

Jay Kay > wrote in
eb.com:

DaleW 10-05-2011 01:49 PM

On May 10, 5:29*am, santiago > wrote:
> For Pomerol, you could try with Chateau Mazeyres, an underlooked state
> that makes good wine (ok, no Petrus!) at a price. 2005 (which I have not
> tasted) is available in the U.S.A. for $25, and 2006 should be a bit
> cheaper, with 2006 being an excellent vintage for Pomerol (actually
> better than 2005 as an average).
>
> For Pauillac is not easy because of the price, but Haut Bages Liberal
> 2006 is quite good for the money ($40 or around) and I think it has quite
> Pauillac character.
>
> Saint Julien... I would say Langoa Barton 2005 is a good idea of what a
> traditional Saint Julien is, but it would be out of your budget. Perhaps
> a Clos du Marquis (second wine of Leoville Las Cases) from a lesser year
> (say 2004, 2006, 2001 if you can find it).
>
> Haut-Medoc... go for a La Tour Carnet, a modern style Haut Medoc with a
> great QPR. A fav of mine. 2005 goes for around $30.
>
> Another suggestion to your Saint Emilions could be Fombrauge.
>
> To locate the wines, usewww.winesearcher.com
>
> Best and enjoy,
>
> s.
>
> Jay Kay > wrote aweb.com:
>

> > Greetings

> > I am planning on a wine tasting evening with some friends for which I
> > want to focus on Bordeaux (left and right bank). I need
> > recommendations for some Bordeaux in the inexpensive range (US$15-$40)
> > from the following appellations.

> > Pomerol,
> > Pauillac,
> > St. Julien,
> > Haut-Medoc

> > I'd like the vineyard/winery and year and if possible what you paid
> > for/ from which store (US) (so that I know the rough range).

> > I have decided on one (maybe two) as below:

> > Saint Emilion Grand Cru Chateau Bernateau 2005
> > 2005 Chteau Haut-Faugeres St. Émilion Grand Cru

> > The wines will be enjoyed with beef or venison medallions

> > Please post your response as a followup instead of responding via
> > email.

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Jay Kay- Hide quoted text -

Santiago has great suggestions.
For Pomerol, some other choices would include Bourgneuf, Clos Rene, de
Sales( 06 de Sales was $19 at Wine Connection in NY, still there I
think)
As he noted, Pauillac is probably toughest. Lynch Moussas might work,
For St Julien I'm a fan of Lagrange, which should be just under $40
for 06 or 08. Fiefs de Lagrange is cheaper and usually pretty decent.
Gloria is another possibility
Haut Medoc has an abundance of choices- besides La Tour Carnet,
there;s La Lagune, Lanessan, Bernadotte, Cantemerle.

Where are you located? It might make most sense (if you can't shop
locally) to try one store and see what they have. Shipping of 4 single
bottles would probably be at least 3X cost of one shipment of 4
bottles. A few dependable stores:
CA: Winex, K&L, JJ Buckley. Premier Cru only if in stock. WHWC is
great, but not big Bdx selection
IL- HDH Wine
NJ: Wine Library
NY: Grapes the Wine Co (N White Plains), Zachys (prices can be really
high, but some sale prices can be very competitive), Sherry-Lehmann
(ditto), PJs, Wine Connection. Chambers St Wine is my favorite store,
butnot really a Bdx center.

Jay Kay 10-05-2011 01:59 PM

Need recommendations for Bordeaux (Pomerol, Pauillac, St.Julien, Haut-Medoc)

Thanks Santiago and DaleW

DaleW, I am located near the Washington DC metro region so would have to
locate a store around there..

Jay Kay

Emery Davis[_3_] 10-05-2011 05:34 PM

On 05/10/2011 02:59 PM, Jay Kay wrote:
> Thanks Santiago and DaleW
>
> DaleW, I am located near the Washington DC metro region so would have to
> locate a store around there..

Calvert Woodley has a good selection IIRC. To the other great
selections I'll add St. Pierre in St Julien, should be in the price
range and great QPR.

-E

Bi!! 10-05-2011 07:24 PM

On May 10, 12:34*pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> On 05/10/2011 02:59 PM, Jay Kay wrote:
>
> > Thanks Santiago and DaleW

> > DaleW, I am located near the Washington DC metro region so would have to
> > locate a store around there..

> Calvert Woodley has a good selection IIRC. *To the other great
> selections I'll add St. Pierre in St Julien, should be in the price
> range and great QPR.
>
> -E

> >> Santiago has great suggestions.
> >> For Pomerol, some other choices would include Bourgneuf, Clos Rene, de
> >> Sales( 06 de Sales was $19 at Wine Connection in NY, still there I
> >> think)
> >> As he noted, Pauillac is probably toughest. Lynch Moussas might work,
> >> For St Julien I'm a fan of Lagrange, which should be just under $40 for
> >> 06 or 08. Fiefs de Lagrange is cheaper and usually pretty decent. Gloria
> >> is another possibility
> >> Haut Medoc has an abundance of choices- besides La Tour Carnet, there;s
> >> La Lagune, Lanessan, Bernadotte, Cantemerle.

> >> Where are you located? It might make most sense (if you can't shop
> >> locally) to try one store and see what they have. Shipping of 4 single
> >> bottles would probably be at least 3X cost of one shipment of 4 bottles.
> >> A few dependable stores:
> >> CA: Winex, K&L, JJ Buckley. Premier Cru only if in stock. WHWC is great,
> >> but not big Bdx selection
> >> IL- HDH Wine
> >> NJ: Wine Library
> >> NY: Grapes the Wine Co (N White Plains), Zachys (prices can be really
> >> high, but some sale prices can be very competitive), Sherry-Lehmann
> >> (ditto), *PJs, Wine Connection. Chambers St Wine is my favorite store,
> >> butnot really a Bdx center.- Hide quoted text -

St Pierre is a terrific recommendation Emery. I had completely
forgotten about them. I used to drink a lot of St Pierre, Chateau
Clarke, Le Crock, Monbusquet etc.

Timothy Hartley[_7_] 11-05-2011 09:52 AM

Need recommendations for Bordeaux (Pomerol, Pauillac, St. Julien, Haut-Medoc)

In message >
santiago > wrote:

> [snip]

> Another suggestion to your Saint Emilions could be Fombrauge.

> To locate the wines, use www.winesearcher.com

> Best and enjoy,

> s.

>> Jay Kay > wrote in
>> eb.com:

>> Greetings
>>
>> I am planning on a wine tasting evening with some friends for which I
>> want to focus on Bordeaux (left and right bank).
>> [snip]
>> I have decided on one (maybe two) as below:
>>
>> Saint Emilion Grand Cru Chateau Bernateau 2005
>> 2005 Chateau Haut-Faugeres St. Emilion Grand Cru
>>
>> The wines will be enjoyed with beef or venison medallions

>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Jay Kay

But Jay already has Haut-Faugeres which is quite modern in style to
contrast with the Ch. Bernateau, which although a little more modern
now that Pierrick Lavau is taking over from his father Régis, is still
quite classic Saint-Émilion. To add the Fombrauge would add another
modern style Saint-Émilion.

I have just done two tastings in the UK in which the 1998 Bernateau
shone brightly amongst distinguished and better known companions, some
of them classified. The 2005s will be very young however and I would
advise double decanting some time in advance to get the best sense of
how they will develop.

Tim Hartley