Posted to alt.food.wine

Default CorkScrew recommendations for Two Buck Chuck

Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to open
Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle that the
usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two screwpull
openers that worked great, until they self destructed after about eighteen
months.

I'm looking for something to replace that will hold up and that will easily
"worm" into a very dense cork.

Thanks for any ideas,

Kent

*Two Buck Chuck, from Trader Jose's

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 16, 3:38*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to open
> Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle that the
> usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two screwpull
> openers that worked great, until they self destructed after about eighteen
> months.
>
> I'm looking for something to replace that *will hold up and that will easily
> "worm" into a very dense cork.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
>
> Kent
>
> *Two Buck Chuck, from Trader Jose's

But even after you pull the cork, your still left with 2 buck chuck.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Kent wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to open
> Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle that the
> usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two screwpull
> openers that worked great, until they self destructed after about eighteen
> months.
>
> I'm looking for something to replace that will hold up and that will easily
> "worm" into a very dense cork.

Is this one of those corks made from compressed particles of cork? I
can't imagine otherwise how one cork would be denser than another.
Regardless, in addition to Dale's suggestions, I'll add that there's a
device known as an Ah-so that consists of two prongs that slide
alongside the cork and which are then used to work the cork the cork
out. They're very useful for crumbling corks, but I'm not sure if
they'd offer any advantage. My tool of choice is a two-step "waiter's
friend" that works as well as a Screwpull in my experience.

Ah-so:
http://www.winestuff.com/acatalog/Ju...rk_Puller.html

Waiter's friend:
http://www.langtoninfo.com/showitem....=8435179448070

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 17, 10:44*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Kent wrote:
> > Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to open
> > Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle that the
> > usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two screwpull
> > openers that worked great, until they self destructed after about eighteen
> > months.

> > I'm looking for something to replace that *will hold up and that will easily
> > "worm" into a very dense cork.

> Is this one of those corks made from compressed particles of cork? *I
> can't imagine otherwise how one cork would be denser than another.
> Regardless, in addition to Dale's suggestions, I'll add that there's a
> device known as an Ah-so that consists of two prongs that slide
> alongside the cork and which are then used to work the cork the cork
> out. *They're very useful for crumbling corks, but I'm not sure if
> they'd offer any advantage. *My tool of choice is a two-step "waiter's
> friend" that works as well as a Screwpull in my experience.
>
> Ah-so:http://www.winestuff.com/acatalog/Ju...rk_Puller.html
>
> Waiter's friend:http://www.langtoninfo.com/showitem....=8435179448070
>
> Mark Lipton

I use a waiter friend that I buy at a lock wine shop for about $6. My
recollection is that Charles Shaw wines have a real cork. For older
bottles I have a double helix cork screw that works well and an Ah
So. Like Dale, I would like to get a Durand but I keep forgetting to
tell my wife.
Posted to alt.food.wine

For wines that have been stored upright since bottling, the use
of cork can be very problematic and may require an AH SO or other
tool to get at the wine, and then filtering through a coffee filter
to remove the cork particles. In this case, I like synthetic corks
or screw tops. But, why are bottles wasted on a $2-3 wine?
Put Chuck in a box!

JMHO,
Dick

Posted to alt.food.wine

My Screwpull worm broke after several years. I called Le Creuset, who now
owns the brand, and they sent me a free replacement worm. The didn't even
charge me for postage. I would try giving them a call.

Mike

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to
> open Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle
> that the usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two
> screwpull openers that worked great, until they self destructed after
> about eighteen months.
>
> I'm looking for something to replace that will hold up and that will
> easily "worm" into a very dense cork.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
>
> Kent
>
> *Two Buck Chuck, from Trader Jose's

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 13:06:59 -0400, Mike Hagley wrote:

> My Screwpull worm broke after several years. I called Le Creuset, who
> now owns the brand, and they sent me a free replacement worm. The
> didn't even charge me for postage. I would try giving them a call.
>
> Mike

Let no one say that they are an "Un-screwpullous" company ;-)

Godzilla
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 16, 5:38*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to open
> Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle that the
> usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two screwpull
> openers that worked great, until they self destructed after about eighteen
> months.
>
> I'm looking for something to replace that *will hold up and that will easily
> "worm" into a very dense cork.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
>
> Kent
>
> *Two Buck Chuck, from Trader Jose's

Traders Joe sells a articulated waiters corkscrew for 1.99. I use that
all the time
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in
:

> Regardless, in addition to Dale's suggestions, I'll add that there's a
> device known as an Ah-so that consists of two prongs that slide
> alongside the cork and which are then used to work the cork the cork
> out. They're very useful for crumbling corks, but I'm not sure if
> they'd offer any advantage. My tool of choice is a two-step "waiter's
> friend" that works as well as a Screwpull in my experience.

Ah-So is not good for synthetic or composite corks and I have found a risk
of breaking the glass of the bottle while trying to insert it.

My suggestion is getting a Waiter's Friend such as the one you linked, or a
screwpull such as this:

http://shorl.com/fradrykabufoda (link to amazon.com)

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Hagley" > wrote in message
> My Screwpull worm broke after several years. I called Le Creuset, who now
> owns the brand, and they sent me a free replacement worm. The didn't even
> charge me for postage. I would try giving them a call.
>
> Mike
>
> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to
>> open Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle
>> that the usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two
>> screwpull openers that worked great, until they self destructed after
>> about eighteen months.
>>
>> I'm looking for something to replace that will hold up and that will
>> easily "worm" into a very dense cork.
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas,
>>
>> Kent
>>
>> *Two Buck Chuck, from Trader Jose's

Thanks, Mike,
I'll have a go at it.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.wine

"santiago" > wrote in message
> Mark Lipton > wrote in
> :
>
>> Regardless, in addition to Dale's suggestions, I'll add that there's a
>> device known as an Ah-so that consists of two prongs that slide
>> alongside the cork and which are then used to work the cork the cork
>> out. They're very useful for crumbling corks, but I'm not sure if
>> they'd offer any advantage. My tool of choice is a two-step "waiter's
>> friend" that works as well as a Screwpull in my experience.

> Ah-So is not good for synthetic or composite corks and I have found a risk
> of breaking the glass of the bottle while trying to insert it.
>
> My suggestion is getting a Waiter's Friend such as the one you linked, or
> screwpull such as this:
>
> http://shorl.com/fradrykabufoda (link to amazon.com)

The Screwpull above is the same model where the plastic body cracked twice.
I'd avoid it. I'm looking for something that replaces it. The product has an
excellent worm. The wire is thin, and the diameter is larger than the
waiter's puller. This makes it much easier to get an older and lengthier
cork out in one piece. The worms are rugged in spite of their size and they
have held up.

Kent

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...96K6KH8Z310YW3

Posted to alt.food.wine

"lleichtman" > wrote in message
On Apr 16, 3:38 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to
> open
> Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle that
> the
> usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two screwpull
> openers that worked great, until they self destructed after about eighteen
> months.
>
> I'm looking for something to replace that will hold up and that will
> easily
> "worm" into a very dense cork.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
>
> Kent
>
> *Two Buck Chuck, from Trader Jose's
>
>But even after you pull the cork, your still left with 2 buck chuck.

Two buck Chuck, at $2.67/liter replaces the martini. I think the vintage
chardonnay is decent, maybe lacking a bit in acid, and with no wood,
obviously. It is much better than any box I've found. The Almaden
chardonnay, at $2.32/liter is many points below it. I've never considered
applying the 20 point Davis system to Charles Shaw.

A bit of humor, there,

Kent

Kent

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to
> open Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle
> that the usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two
> screwpull openers that worked great, until they self destructed after
> about eighteen months.
>
> I'm looking for something to replace that will hold up and that will
> easily "worm" into a very dense cork.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
>
> Kent
>
> *Two Buck Chuck, from Trader Jose's

Thanks very much for all your comments. I think I'm going to try to find the
Oggi Nautilus, recommended by Cooks Illustrated. So far I can't find it.
Have any tried the True Fabrications Nautilus? That may be the same
product.

http://www.amazon.com/True-Fabricati...-3-fkmr1Thanks again,Kent

Posted to alt.food.wine

Kent wrote:
> "lleichtman" > wrote in message
>>
>> But even after you pull the cork, your still left with 2 buck chuck.
>>

> Two buck Chuck, at $2.67/liter replaces the martini. I think the vintage
> chardonnay is decent, maybe lacking a bit in acid, and with no wood,
> obviously. It is much better than any box I've found. The Almaden
> chardonnay, at $2.32/liter is many points below it. I've never considered
> applying the 20 point Davis system to Charles Shaw.
>
> A bit of humor, there,

How does it replace the martini? It has much less alcohol.

Anyhow, in our last encounter, two buck chuck (which was something like three
(or four?) buck in VA), ended down the drain. I'm a low expectations drinker,
and the only other wine I have ended up pouring down the drain was a cheap NZ
rose (the name had "Penguin" in it). The NZ rose tasted of cherry-flavored cough
syrup, except it was bone-dry, and I couldn't decide would it have been any less
disgusting had it been sweet. Whereas the Chuck was simply bad.

Good cheap box wines in the US right now are the Corbett Canyon Pinot Noir (from
Macedonia), and their Chenin Blanc/Pinot Grigio mix. Unfortunately, this last
one is very hard to find (or it might have been some one-off negociant mix).
Complicating the picture is that Corbett Canyon have a Pinot Grigio/Chenin Blanc
box too, which has a higher alcohol content and is not as good.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Correction (In the spirit of ANZAC)

"Patok" wrote.............

> Anyhow, in our last encounter, two buck chuck (which was something like
> three (or four?) buck in VA), ended down the drain. I'm a low expectations
> drinker, and the only other wine I have ended up pouring down the drain
> was a cheap NZ rose (the name had "Penguin" in it). The NZ rose tasted of
> cherry-flavored cough syrup, except it was bone-dry, and I couldn't decide
> would it have been any less disgusting had it been sweet. Whereas the
> Chuck was simply bad.

Ahem!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The Little Penguin" is AUSTRALIAN !!!!!!!!!!!

That is, that great parched land, slightly to the west of NZ - full of crocs
and cane toads and sheilas and barbies, and home to Grange and Rutherglen
Muscat and Shiraz (not Syrah!) - where men are men, and sheep are
nervous!!!!!

A land settled by convicts - where stealing is still an art-form (I speak of
Pavlova and Phar Lap and Crowded House) - where the language is known as
"Strine".

A land whose national sport is cricket (where they now languish barely above
the median of world rankings) where they play "Aussie Rules" (a game stolen
from the Irish) or Rugby League (a sport of gratuitous violence - where
again, they languish behind their Anzac neighbours in terms of modern
achievement)

A WORD OF WARNING TO THE UNWISE:

I can say the above, because I am a New Zealander - and NZ and Australia
will fight and compete to the death against each other, in all fields of
human endeavour (good God, our respective symphony orchestras cannot perform
in the same theatre lest blood is shed ;-).

However, we are also brothers - bound by the sweat and blood and the losses
which were two world wars.

He that crosses my brother, also crosses me!

Next Monday (25th April) is ANZAC Day, where we gather in the chill of cold
dawns in places like Gallipoli and Canberra and Wellington to remember those
who gave their lives.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Lord St.Helier
Former batman to Lord Beaverbrook
Proud to be a NZer - and even prouder to be brother to all Australians.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Patok" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>> "lleichtman" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> But even after you pull the cork, your still left with 2 buck chuck.
>>>

>> Two buck Chuck, at $2.67/liter replaces the martini. I think the vintage
>> chardonnay is decent, maybe lacking a bit in acid, and with no wood,
>> obviously. It is much better than any box I've found. The Almaden
>> chardonnay, at $2.32/liter is many points below it. I've never considered
>> applying the 20 point Davis system to Charles Shaw.
>>
>> A bit of humor, there,

> How does it replace the martini? It has much less alcohol.
>
> Anyhow, in our last encounter, two buck chuck (which was something like
> three (or four?) buck in VA), ended down the drain. I'm a low expectations
> drinker, and the only other wine I have ended up pouring down the drain
> was a cheap NZ rose (the name had "Penguin" in it). The NZ rose tasted of
> cherry-flavored cough syrup, except it was bone-dry, and I couldn't decide
> would it have been any less disgusting had it been sweet. Whereas the
> Chuck was simply bad.

What don't you like about Charles Shaw Wines, especially the Chardonnay, but
others?

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Correction of the correction (In the spirit of the EU)

st.helier wrote:
> "Patok" wrote.............
>>
>> Anyhow, in our last encounter, two buck chuck (which was something
>> like three (or four?) buck in VA), ended down the drain. I'm a low
>> expectations drinker, and the only other wine I have ended up pouring
>> down the drain was a cheap NZ rose (the name had "Penguin" in it). The
>> NZ rose tasted of cherry-flavored cough syrup, except it was bone-dry,
>> and I couldn't decide would it have been any less disgusting had it
>> been sweet. Whereas the Chuck was simply bad.
>>

> Ahem!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> "The Little Penguin" is AUSTRALIAN !!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed, your Lordship, "The Little Penguin" is Australian. Alas, the wine I'm
talking about was not "The Little Penguin", and was, unfortunately, from NZ.
I've had only good experiences with NZ wines before, mainly Marlborough SB's,
and that's why I did not hesitate to give this one a try. (The name was
something like "The Penguins", I seem to recall.) O woe betide, it was awful;
but please don't think that this fact casts any doubt on the quality of the
other NZ wines, or on my appreciation of such. After all, it can happen in the
best of families, and nobody's perfect.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Whoever bans a book, shall be banished. Whoever burns a book, shall burn.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Kent wrote:
> "Patok" > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:
>>>>

>>> Two buck Chuck, at $2.67/liter replaces the martini. I think the vintage
>>> chardonnay is decent, maybe lacking a bit in acid, and with no wood,
>>> obviously. It is much better than any box I've found. The Almaden
>>> chardonnay, at $2.32/liter is many points below it. I've never considered
>>> applying the 20 point Davis system to Charles Shaw.
>>>
>>> A bit of humor, there,

>> How does it replace the martini? It has much less alcohol.
>>
>> Anyhow, in our last encounter, two buck chuck (which was something like
>> three (or four?) buck in VA), ended down the drain. I'm a low expectations
>> drinker, and the only other wine I have ended up pouring down the drain
>> was a cheap NZ rose (the name had "Penguin" in it). The NZ rose tasted of
>> cherry-flavored cough syrup, except it was bone-dry, and I couldn't decide
>> would it have been any less disgusting had it been sweet. Whereas the
>> Chuck was simply bad.
>>

> What don't you like about Charles Shaw Wines, especially the Chardonnay, but
> others?

Is this a question? If it is, I don't get it. In any event, I don't remember
if I've had specifically the Chard of TB Chuck. I think I bought a bottle of
each variety to try them, and they all ended down the drain. I guess that if
there was a Chard amongst them, it shared the faults that most inexpensive
chards sold in the US are heir to - flabby, sweetish, buttery and dull.
Lest you think I'm universally criticizing, I can give an example of an
inexpensive American Chardonnay that I liked - the Pindar Peacock Chardonnay. It
is crisp, complex, and universal - goes well with any kind of food, and as
aperitif. The only problem with it is that it is difficult to find.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Whoever bans a book, shall be banished. Whoever burns a book, shall burn.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 21, 1:21*am, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Patok" > wrote in message

> > Kent wrote:

> >> Two buck Chuck, at $2.67/liter replaces the martini. I think the vintage
> >> chardonnay is decent, maybe lacking a bit in acid, and with no wood,
> >> obviously. It is much better than any box I've found. The Almaden
> >> chardonnay, at $2.32/liter is many points below it. I've never considered
> >> applying the 20 point Davis system to Charles Shaw.

> >> A bit of humor, there,

> > * How does it replace the martini? It has much less alcohol.

> > Anyhow, in our last encounter, two buck chuck (which was something like
> > three (or four?) buck in VA), ended down the drain. I'm a low expectations
> > drinker, and the only other wine I have ended up pouring down the drain
> > was a cheap NZ rose (the name had "Penguin" in it). The NZ rose tasted of
> > cherry-flavored cough syrup, except it was bone-dry, and I couldn't decide
> > would it have been any less disgusting had it been sweet. Whereas the
> > Chuck was simply bad.

> What don't you like about Charles Shaw Wines, especially the Chardonnay, but
> others?- Hide quoted text -

The Charles Shaw/Bronco "Winery" looks more like a chemical plant than
a place where wine is made. The vines are highly fertilized and
irrigated to produce large quantities of large grapes to produce lots
of juice. The life cycle from picking to distribution is a few days
since they add chemicals and flavors enhancers to reproduce the
flavors they are after. Tannins and oak flavoring are added and no
aging of any kind is employed in the process. This is a wine flavored
alcoholic beverage, not wine. Brillianrt marketing.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/21/11 1:21 AM, Kent wrote:

> What don't you like about Charles Shaw Wines, especially the Chardonnay, but
> others?

Kent,
The problem with the Charles Shaw label, as I believe I've mentioned
before on ba.food, is that wines from many different sources get bottled
with the same label. Bronco Wine Co. (the owner of the name) buys wine
in bulk from producers all over the state and bottles them all under the
Charles Shaw label. Therefore, one bottle of Charles Shaw Chardonnay
may or may not be identical to another. So you and Patok might be
talking about completely different wines for all that you know. This is
one of the big problems with 2BC for me: even if you find one bottle
that you like, you may not be able to get more of it.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 4/21/11 1:21 AM, Kent wrote:
>
>> What don't you like about Charles Shaw Wines, especially the Chardonnay, but
>> others?

> Kent,
> The problem with the Charles Shaw label, as I believe I've mentioned
> before on ba.food, is that wines from many different sources get bottled
> with the same label. Bronco Wine Co. (the owner of the name) buys wine
> in bulk from producers all over the state and bottles them all under the
> Charles Shaw label. Therefore, one bottle of Charles Shaw Chardonnay
> may or may not be identical to another. So you and Patok might be
> talking about completely different wines for all that you know. This is
> one of the big problems with 2BC for me: even if you find one bottle
> that you like, you may not be able to get more of it.

Mark,
what you write makes much sense. It accounts for the different reactions to
what ought to be the same wine. Now what is left is for you and Bi!! to
coordinate your stories. Is 2BC the product of industrial growing and a chemical
plant? Of different wine sources? Both?

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Whoever bans a book, shall be banished. Whoever burns a book, shall burn.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 21, 4:30*pm, Patok > wrote:
> Mark Lipton wrote:
> > On 4/21/11 1:21 AM, Kent wrote:

> >> What don't you like about Charles Shaw Wines, especially the Chardonnay, but
> >> others?

> > Kent,
> > * *The problem with the Charles Shaw label, as I believe I've mentioned
> > before on ba.food, is that wines from many different sources get bottled
> > with the same label. *Bronco Wine Co. (the owner of the name) buys wine
> > in bulk from producers all over the state and bottles them all under the
> > Charles Shaw label. *Therefore, one bottle of Charles Shaw Chardonnay
> > may or may not be identical to another. *So you and Patok might be
> > talking about completely different wines for all that you know. *This is
> > one of the big problems with 2BC for me: even if you find one bottle
> > that you like, you may not be able to get more of it.

> Mark,
> * *what you write makes much sense. It accounts for the different reactions to
> what ought to be the same wine. Now what is left is for you and Bi!! to
> coordinate your stories. Is 2BC the product of industrial growing and a chemical
> plant? Of different wine sources? Both?
>
> --
> You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
> *
> Whoever bans a book, shall be banished. Whoever burns a book, shall burn.- Hide quoted text -

Both. They source wines from many places in California especially
from the Central Valley from a variety of growers and Charles Shaw is
the result of high yields and plenty of additives to produce a
somewhat consistant wine from grape to consumer in a matter of days
not months. There have been a number of articles describing the
process over the years. Bronco makes approx. 20 million cases of wine
per year under roughly 50 different lables controlling 45,000 acres of
vineyards.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Patok" wrote.......

> Indeed, your Lordship, "The Little Penguin" is Australian. Alas, the
> wine I'm talking about was not "The Little Penguin", and was,
> unfortunately, from NZ. I've had only good experiences with NZ wines
> before, mainly Marlborough SB's, and that's why I did not hesitate to give
> this one a try. (The name was something like "The Penguins", I seem to
> recall.) O woe betide, it was awful; but please don't think that this fact
> casts any doubt on the quality of the other NZ wines, or on my
> appreciation of such. After all, it can happen in the best of families,
> and nobody's perfect.

Shame you cannot remember the exact name.

I have searched every source I have and cannot find any NZ winery who
markets under any label with a reference to a penguin.

A couple wineries support the conservation of the rare native Yellow Eyed
Penguin, but neither produce a rosé.

If fact, there is very little rosé produced at all, and while "some" may be
"ordinary" most is either a more than reasonable quaff, or rather good,
without scaling great heights.

None I have encountered would seem to deserve the criticism you heap on your
experience.

Quality control processes which all NZ export wine must undergo would
usually "weed out" anything truly sub-standard.

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:
> "Patok" wrote.......
>>
>> Indeed, your Lordship, "The Little Penguin" is Australian. Alas, the
>> wine I'm talking about was not "The Little Penguin", and was,
>> unfortunately, from NZ. I've had only good experiences with NZ wines
>> before, mainly Marlborough SB's, and that's why I did not hesitate to
>> give this one a try. (The name was something like "The Penguins", I
>> seem to recall.) O woe betide, it was awful; but please don't think
>> that this fact casts any doubt on the quality of the other NZ wines,
>> or on my appreciation of such. After all, it can happen in the best of
>> families, and nobody's perfect.
>>

> Shame you cannot remember the exact name.
>
> I have searched every source I have and cannot find any NZ winery who
> markets under any label with a reference to a penguin.
>
> A couple wineries support the conservation of the rare native Yellow
> Eyed Penguin, but neither produce a rosé.
>
> If fact, there is very little rosé produced at all, and while "some" may
> be "ordinary" most is either a more than reasonable quaff, or rather
> good, without scaling great heights.
>
> None I have encountered would seem to deserve the criticism you heap on
> your experience.
>
> Quality control processes which all NZ export wine must undergo would
> usually "weed out" anything truly sub-standard.

And I am ashamed, because it turns out I did *not* remember the name! I did a
search too, which didn't turn out any "Penguins" wine worldwide (apart from the
ubiquitous Little Penguin).
But since I remembered where the store I bought it was located (although not
its name), I did a reverse search, hoping it had a home page. And indeed it did!
Here's the wine in question:

http://www.allstarwine.com/product-e...category_id/65

As one can see, my memory underwent an associative transmogrification; how it
arrived at "penguins" is anybody's guess.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Whoever bans a book, shall be banished. Whoever burns a book, shall burn.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Patok" wrote.......

> And I am ashamed, because it turns out I did *not* remember the name! I
> did a search too, which didn't turn out any "Penguins" wine worldwide
> (apart from the ubiquitous Little Penguin). But since I remembered where
> the store I bought it was located (although not its name), I did a reverse
> search, hoping it had a home page. And indeed it did!
> Here's the wine in question:
>
> http://www.allstarwine.com/product-e...category_id/65
>
> As one can see, my memory underwent an associative transmogrification; how
> it arrived at "penguins" is anybody's guess.

How I hate this sort of marketing - I see it now; 2005 was a rather large
harvest on top of a record in 2004.

Thus, many wineries resorted to "Marketers Labels" purely for the export
market - just to turn grape juice into $$$.

I have never heard Lobster Key until today - it is not available in NZ
(although I have identified the winery bottling it) - I see it is available
there for $3.99.

From what you say, it is $3.98 over priced!

Cheers

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Here's the wine in question:

> http://www.allstarwine.com/product-e.../nm/Lobster_Ke
> y_Rose_2005/category_id/65

> As one can see, my memory underwent an associative transmogrification; how it
> arrived at "penguins" is anybody's guess.

There is a reasonable argument that any wine ”which screams” —
whatever it is allegeneral damagesto be screaming — and sell atthat
sort of price is probably not what it claims to be and needs to be
avoided at all costs, except possibly as an alternative to meths.

Tim Hartley
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Timothy Hartley" > wrote ..

>> Here's the wine in question:

>> http://www.allstarwine.com/product-e.../nm/Lobster_Ke
>> y_Rose_2005/category_id/65

>> As one can see, my memory underwent an associative transmogrification;
>> how it
>> arrived at "penguins" is anybody's guess.

> There is a reasonable argument that any wine "which screams" -
> whatever it is allegeneral damagesto be screaming - and sell atthat
> sort of price is probably not what it claims to be and needs to be
> avoided at all costs, except possibly as an alternative to meths.

Or paint stripper........!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:13:11 +1200, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>A land settled by convicts - where stealing is still an art-form (I speak of
>Pavlova and Phar Lap and Crowded House) - where the language is known as
>"Strine".

I would not dain to cross you sir, I have seen what happens :-) But I
must hasten to add that most foul theft of one of Whangerai's sons who
though oddly enough is claimed by Australia is famed in Nashville and
married to one of Hawaii's most famous actresses. I speak of course of
Keith Urban and the woman who is almost as Hawaiin as Barack Obama,
Nicole Kidman.

shall be lifting glasses of wine from both sides ofthe Tasman this
weekend. Take care.

>He that crosses my brother, also crosses me!
>
>Next Monday (25th April) is ANZAC Day, where we gather in the chill of cold
>dawns in places like Gallipoli and Canberra and Wellington to remember those
>who gave their lives.
>
>They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
>Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
>At the going down of the sun and in the morning
>We will remember them.
>

>Lord St.Helier
>Former batman to Lord Beaverbrook
>Proud to be a NZer - and even prouder to be brother to all Australians.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 13:33:29 -0400, Joseph Coulter >
wrote:

>I would not dain to cross you sir,

But I could well stoop to grammatical and spelling errors :-)
as is well known we don't speak well the Queen's English in these
parts. Deign it is.

CorkScrew recommendations for Two Buck Chuck DaleW Wine 1 20-04-2011 09:21 PM
Two Buck Chuck - Shiraz Dick R. Wine 1 04-05-2007 01:58 AM
Two Buck Chuck has arrived in Minnesota Dick R. Wine 21 26-04-2007 05:12 PM
The Two Buck Chuck effect? Mark Lipton Wine 6 26-01-2004 06:09 PM
2 Buck Chuck Mike Wine 50 21-01-2004 12:26 AM