Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: France, Germany, US, Spain

Sunday Betsy got me ticket to "Monodramas" (3 pieces, by Schoenberg,
John Zorn, and Morton Feldman, all challenging, mostly non-narrative,
and all interesting); we stopped at Fairway for steaks. We grilled
those and some asparagus, served with potatoes and braised collards
and bok choy. Wine was the 2002 Fougas Maldoror (Cotes du Bourg). Big
structured wine, surprising depth of fruit for RB 02, solid plums and
cassis under a pretty hefty mantle of oak. Enjoyed with the steak, not
so much solo. Revisited with our guests Monday, I liked better then,
oak more integrated, no hurry on this one. B

I switched to the 2004 Schmitt Wagner "Longuicher Maximiner
Herrenberg" Riesling Kabinett. Nice lighter styled wine, perfect for
apertif (or in this case digestif). Apples, slate, soft. Maybe could
have used just a bit more acidic grip. But quite pleasant, holds well
overnight (Betsy and I tried while she was cooking Monday). B/B+

Friends and their dog came for dinner Monday, mushroom risotto,
broccoli, and an arugula/daikon sprout salad. We sampled an
assortment:

2009 Cantarranas Reuda*
The cooking wine. Light, grassy, I was sure this had a SB component,
but label says 60% Verdejo 40% Viura. Not much depth, not much length,
but it was not much money ($5). B-/C+

2008 Arnoux-Lachaux "Pinot Fin" Bourgogne
This is the Estate formerly known as Robert Arnoux. Ripe and fleshy
midweight, a hint of oak, cherry and raspberry and a little mushroom.
On the Cali PN side of Burgundy, but tasty.B

2006 Havens Syrah (Napa)
This was one of the closeout deals after Havens closed. $13, but less
of a deal that some other bottlings. Dark berry fruit, tannins, some
oak, a bit of brett. Short and harsh finish. Others liked much more
than I did. C+

2009 Gysler Scheurebe Halbtrocken
Light, floral, fresh fruit cocktail flavors though just a hint of
sweetness. No profundity here, plenty of pleasure. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 29, 1:30*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Sunday Betsy got me ticket to "Monodramas" (3 pieces, by Schoenberg,
> John Zorn, and Morton Feldman, all challenging, mostly non-narrative,
> and all interesting); we stopped at Fairway for steaks. We grilled
> those and some asparagus, served with potatoes and *braised collards
> and bok choy. Wine was the 2002 Fougas Maldoror (Cotes du Bourg). Big
> structured wine, surprising depth of fruit for RB 02, solid plums and
> cassis under a pretty hefty mantle of oak. Enjoyed with the steak, not
> so much solo. Revisited with our guests Monday, I liked better then,
> oak more integrated, no hurry on this one. B
>
> I switched to the 2004 Schmitt Wagner "Longuicher Maximiner
> Herrenberg" Riesling Kabinett. Nice lighter styled wine, perfect for
> apertif (or in this case digestif). Apples, slate, soft. Maybe could
> have used just a bit more acidic grip. But quite pleasant, holds well
> overnight (Betsy and I tried while she was cooking Monday). B/B+
>
> Friends and their dog came for dinner Monday, mushroom risotto,
> broccoli, and an arugula/daikon sprout salad. We sampled an
> assortment:
>
> 2009 Cantarranas Reuda*
> The cooking wine. Light, grassy, I was sure this had a SB component,
> but label says 60% Verdejo 40% Viura. Not much depth, not much length,
> but it was not much money ($5). B-/C+
>
> 2008 Arnoux-Lachaux "Pinot Fin" Bourgogne
> This is the Estate formerly known as *Robert Arnoux. Ripe and fleshy
> midweight, a hint of oak, cherry and raspberry and a little mushroom.
> On the Cali PN side of Burgundy, but tasty.B
>
> 2006 Havens Syrah (Napa)
> This was one of the closeout deals after Havens closed. $13, but less
> of a deal that some other bottlings. Dark berry fruit, tannins, some
> oak, a bit of brett. Short and harsh finish. Others liked much more
> than I did. C+
>
> 2009 Gysler Scheurebe Halbtrocken
> Light, floral, fresh fruit cocktail flavors though just a hint of
> sweetness. No profundity here, plenty of pleasure. B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Thanks for the notes on the Arnoux-Lachaux. Arnoux's wines have
always had a "fleshy" side and I'm glad that the wines are staying
true to the house style.