FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: 3 wines I like- Rioja, Loire, Languedoc (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/405798-tn-3-wines-i.html)

DaleW 17-03-2011 05:36 PM

TN: 3 wines I like- Rioja, Loire, Languedoc

Takeout Chinese before a board meeting, but when I got home Betsy had
saved me a bit of seaweed and sashimi from her dinner, so seemed a
good time for a half bottle of the 2008 Huet Le Mont Vouvray Demi-sec.
I was worried this might be closed, but it was quite open and giving.
Really striking acidity, moderate sweetness keeps it from being tart,
citrus, honey, and wax. Excelllent length, of course young but really
quite delicious. A-

Wednesday I made braised spiced chicken legs, Betsy did some Brussels
sprouts when she got home, and we had a half bottle of the 2005 Lopez
de Heredia "Cubillo" Crianza, Based on last time, I decanted well in
advance, and I think it helped a lot. Red fruits and herbs, fresh
acidity, snappy. Very nice. B+

Cooking (and later sipping) wine was the 2009 Iche "Les
Heretiques" (VdP l'Herault). I crave variety and therefore don't have
a "house wine," but if I did this would be an annual contender, I
guess my favorite $8-9 red. Dark juicy fruit, earth and just a hint of
barnyard, friendly and refreshing. Fine value. B

Mark Lipton[_1_] 17-03-2011 08:34 PM

On 3/17/11 1:36 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Takeout Chinese before a board meeting, but when I got home Betsy had
> saved me a bit of seaweed and sashimi from her dinner, so seemed a
> good time for a half bottle of the 2008 Huet Le Mont Vouvray Demi-sec.
> I was worried this might be closed, but it was quite open and giving.
> Really striking acidity, moderate sweetness keeps it from being tart,
> citrus, honey, and wax. Excelllent length, of course young but really
> quite delicious. A-

That's great to hear, Dale. I picked up a bottle of this at Crush on
the strength of John Gilman's endorsement of the '08 demi-secs. Not
that I was really worried about it... ;-)

> Cooking (and later sipping) wine was the 2009 Iche "Les
> Heretiques" (VdP l'Herault). I crave variety and therefore don't have
> a "house wine," but if I did this would be an annual contender, I
> guess my favorite $8-9 red. Dark juicy fruit, earth and just a hint of
> barnyard, friendly and refreshing. Fine value. B

That's also good to hear. I picked up a bottle of the '09 d'Oupia, so
will report on that in due course.

Mark Lipton