Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] 2001 Font de Michelle CNdP

Last night Andrew selected lamb loin chops for dinner, so Jean settled
on a bottle of this wine to accompany it.

2001 Domaine Font de Michelle Chateauneuf-du-Pape
nose: classic CNdP nose of kirschwasser cherry with an overlay of
something meaty
palate: fully resolved tannins, medium body, silky smooth, no heat from
the 14% ABV

This is the first of the 2001s we've dipped into but this producer
typically makes a more forward wine than many of the traditionalists
that I favor. Made by the delightful and friendly Gonnet brothers, this
is their cuvée normale and doesn't see much new oak AFAIK. Totally
typique in character, it was really a pointe and unlikely to get much
better IMO. Great match for the lamb, too (but then again, what red wine
doesn't pair well with lamb?)

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2001 Font de Michelle CNdP

On Mar 5, 8:10*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Last night Andrew selected lamb loin chops for dinner, so Jean settled
> on a bottle of this wine to accompany it.
>
> 2001 Domaine Font de Michelle Chateauneuf-du-Pape
> nose: classic CNdP nose of kirschwasser cherry with an overlay of
> something meaty
> palate: fully resolved tannins, medium body, silky smooth, no heat from
> the 14% ABV
>
> This is the first of the 2001s we've dipped into but this producer
> typically makes a more forward wine than many of the traditionalists
> that I favor. Made by the delightful and friendly Gonnet brothers, this
> is their cuv e normale and doesn't see much new oak AFAIK. Totally
> typique in character, it was really a pointe and unlikely to get much
> better IMO. Great match for the lamb, too (but then again, what red wine
> doesn't pair well with lamb?)
>
> Mark Lipton

Your last comment makes for interesting discussion as I do find that
many red wines don't pair well with lamb. Zindfandel seems to
overwhelm lamb and Cali wines with big oak also tend to do so for me.
I do like CdP with lamb though.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 03/06/2011 04:10 AM, Mark Lipton wrote:

> Last night Andrew selected lamb loin chops for dinner, so Jean settled
> on a bottle of this wine to accompany it.
>
> 2001 Domaine Font de Michelle Chateauneuf-du-Pape
> nose: classic CNdP nose of kirschwasser cherry with an overlay of
> something meaty
> palate: fully resolved tannins, medium body, silky smooth, no heat from
> the 14% ABV
>
> This is the first of the 2001s we've dipped into but this producer
> typically makes a more forward wine than many of the traditionalists
> that I favor. Made by the delightful and friendly Gonnet brothers, this
> is their cuvée normale and doesn't see much new oak AFAIK. Totally
> typique in character, it was really a pointe and unlikely to get much
> better IMO. Great match for the lamb, too (but then again, what red wine
> doesn't pair well with lamb?)

Nice! I don't have any 2001 CdP but if I did I'll bet this would be one
of the bottles. So, vicariously enjoyed.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 6, 10:53*am, santiago > wrote:
> lleichtman > wrote in news:e038b785-7ad8-4db3-
> :
>

> > Your last comment makes for interesting discussion as I do find that
> > many red wines don't pair well with lamb. Zindfandel seems to
> > overwhelm lamb and Cali wines with big oak also tend to do so for me.
> > I do like CdP with lamb though.

> Oh, I am surprised now. I share the idea that most red wines that I drink,
> go well with lamb, specially when thinking classic regions (to me, that
> means Bordeaux, Bourgogne, Chinon, Rioja, Ribera del Duero, Toscana and
> Piamonte).
>
> Actually, when I want to enjoy a really good bottle of wine from this
> regions, I end up with a grilled steak and/or roasted lamb. I even try not
> to add anything sweet (e.g. roasted vegetables such as leek, carrots, etc)
> because I find it makes the dryer wines taste sour.
>
> There is another category of wines, which are usually heavy on oak and bear
> higher alcohol levels, that I think can go better with dishes that have a
> sweet component, and plainly roasted lamb can usually be too soft a flavour
> for that wines.

I could not have said it any better Santiago.