FoodBanter.com

-   -   1999 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/404840-re-1999-diamond-creek.html)

DaleW 07-02-2011 07:13 PM

1999 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill

Thanks for notes.
Since you seem to drink a lot of DC, have you had the '91 Gravelly Meadow recently? Realized I need to dig that one out.

Bi!! 07-02-2011 07:50 PM

On Feb 7, 2:13*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Thanks for notes.
> Since you seem to drink a lot of DC, have you had the '91 Gravelly Meadow recently? Realized I need to dig that one out.

I haven't and not sure I still have any 1991 of any DC left in my
cellar. Must say that the last few that I've drank were impressive
though. I get more convinced with each bottle that generally these
wines need at least 15 years to reach their full potential.

cwdjrxyz 07-02-2011 10:25 PM

On Feb 7, 1:50*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2:13*pm, DaleW > wrote:
>
> > Thanks for notes.
> > Since you seem to drink a lot of DC, have you had the '91 Gravelly Meadow recently? Realized I need to dig that one out.

> I haven't and not sure I still have any 1991 of any DC left in my
> cellar. *Must say that the last few that I've drank were impressive
> though. *I get more convinced with each bottle that generally these
> wines need at least 15 years to reach their full potential.

I have a single bottle DC Volcanic Hill 1981 that has been well stored
since shortly after release. Can you recall tasting this wine? It was
a gift, so I have only the one bottle.

Bi!! 08-02-2011 04:07 PM

On Feb 7, 5:25*pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Feb 7, 1:50*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > On Feb 7, 2:13*pm, DaleW > wrote:

> > > Thanks for notes.
> > > Since you seem to drink a lot of DC, have you had the '91 Gravelly Meadow recently? Realized I need to dig that one out.

> > I haven't and not sure I still have any 1991 of any DC left in my
> > cellar. *Must say that the last few that I've drank were impressive
> > though. *I get more convinced with each bottle that generally these
> > wines need at least 15 years to reach their full potential.

> I have a single bottle DC Volcanic Hill 1981 that has been well stored
> since shortly after release. Can you recall tasting this wine? It was
> a gift, so I have only the one bottle.

I've had the 1981 a number of times most recently at a DC
retrospective this past summer. The Volcanic Hill seems to hold the
longest of the bottlings and my recollection was that the 1918 was
quite mature but still drinking well. Lot's of cassis and plums with
Bordeaux like aromatics and cedar on the finish.