Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Riesling, Gamay, Cab Franc, and Merlot

Friday we had pot roast (which included carrots and parsnips, but she also did mashed potatoes) and roasted kale. David and MK were joining us, so I decided to do a birthyear wine for Dave, the 1988 Beausejour Becot (St Emilion). Redder fruit, still some slightly grainy tannins, a touch of cedar, green pepper. Proper but thoroughly unexciting claret. B-/B

Over three nights, the 2009 Loosen "Dr L" Riesling. Lime, slightly unripe peach, moderate sweetness, good acidity, light. You could also call this proper but unexciting, the difference is this is $9. B-/B

Saturday Betsy headed to Boston, and her absence seemed like a good reason to pull out the boudin noir (not her thing). Wine was the 2009 JP Brun/Terres Dorees Moulin a Vent. I've loved Brun's '09 beaujolais VV and Cote de Brouilly, but my reaction to this was lukewarm, at least at first. Ripe, heavy, seems a bit flat. But following day it's shows more lively, plenty of ripe red fruit but also some cocoa, coffee, and herb notes, a more complete and complex wine. B- day one, B+/A- day 2.

Sunday was all day work for me, an annual meeting (where I was called a dictator, but apparently sentiment was 60:1 in disagreement) that left me tired. I rewarded myself by popping a 375 of the 2001 Trimbach "Cuvee Frederic Emile" Riesling while I made broth and cooked. More open than a recent 750. Clean, steely, clear spine of acidity. Apple, citrus, petrol. Long finish. A-

Dinner was miso soup from Dave, and my pork chops in white wine, baked chickpeas, and leftover kale. Wine was the 2005 Guion "Cuvee Prestige" Bourgueil. Rich, sappy black and red fruit, spice. Full, good, drinking well. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*