Member

Default Compania Mata (old Malaga Wine)

Just wanted to get the word out that I am searching for old bottles of Malaga wine made by Companias Mata during the 1800's and early 1900's. I have already found a few that were imported in Chicago before and after prohibition. These wines were made by my family. Unfortunately in 1964 the winery was sold and one of my greatest hopes is to recover some of these bottles.

I will be very grateful if some of you can help me find some of these wines.

Thank you,
Patrick Mata.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 13, 8:02*am, pmata > wrote:
> Just wanted to get the word out that I am searching for old bottles of
> Malaga wine made by Companias Mata during the 1800's and early 1900's. I
> have already found a few that were imported in Chicago before and after
> prohibition. These wines were made by my family. Unfortunately in 1964
> the winery was sold and one of my greatest hopes is to recover some of
> these bottles.
>
> I will be very grateful if some of you can help me find some of these
> wines.
>
> Thank you,
> Patrick Mata.

I have a single bottle of Mata Malaga that I bought at auction many
years ago.The source likely was the Chicago Wine Company auctions, but
I am not absolutely certain of this. Although my bottle is not for
sale, I will give a description of it to aid in your search. The
bottle, including the bottom, is completely covered in a silver
colored foil that seems to be glued on.There is a string mesh around
the bottle with a very large spacings. There is a large red-orange
front label and no back label. The top has been dipped in wax, but one
can see the bottom of what appears to be an official seal. There is a
small State of Illinois tax stamp for 1/5 gallon attached to the side
of the bottle. Someone has penciled in PCR 1944 at the top of the
label. This could be a bin number, auction number, or who knows.There
is a little label damage, so I will have to use ? in a few places. Net
Contents 1 pint 8 fl. oz.; Alcohol 16% by volume:; Gran Muscat Wine;
1816 vintage; Grown by Compania Mata; ?ion de Bodegas Andaluzas S.A;
Product of Spain Malaga; Imported by ?rco Importing Co. Chicago IL.;
Import License I-31 (or could be 1-31).

It is interesting that 1816 often is called the year without a summer:
"The Year Without a Summer (also known as the Poverty Year, Year There
Was No Summer and Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death[1]) was 1816, in
which severe summer climate abnormalities destroyed crops in Northern
Europe, the Northeastern United States and eastern Canada.[2][3]
Average global temperatures decreased about 0.4–0.7 °C (0.7–1.3 °F),
[4] enough to cause significant agricultural problems around the
globe.
Historian John D. Post has called this "the last great subsistence
crisis in the Western world".[5]
It may be that the climate anomaly was caused by a combination of a
historic low in solar activity with a volcanic winter event; the
latter caused by a succession of major volcanic eruptions capped off
by the Mount Tambora eruption of 1815, the largest known eruption in
over 1,600 years."

Since Malaga comes from such a warm area, there was likely a grape
harvest there in 1816. However the Malaga wine made might be more like
a sweel wine made in Northern Europe in normal years.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 1/13/11 9:02 AM, pmata wrote:
> Just wanted to get the word out that I am searching for old bottles of
> Malaga wine made by Companias Mata during the 1800's and early 1900's. I
> have already found a few that were imported in Chicago before and after
> prohibition. These wines were made by my family. Unfortunately in 1964
> the winery was sold and one of my greatest hopes is to recover some of
> these bottles.
>
> I will be very grateful if some of you can help me find some of these
> wines.

I was about to advise you to contact Roy Hersh of
http://www.fortheloveofport, but I see that you already did back in '06.
Good luck with your search!

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 13, 1:49*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 1/13/11 9:02 AM, pmata wrote:
>
> > Just wanted to get the word out that I am searching for old bottles of
> > Malaga wine made by Companias Mata during the 1800's and early 1900's. I
> > have already found a few that were imported in Chicago before and after
> > prohibition. These wines were made by my family. Unfortunately in 1964
> > the winery was sold and one of my greatest hopes is to recover some of
> > these bottles.

> > I will be very grateful if some of you can help me find some of these
> > wines.

> I was about to advise you to contact Roy Hersh ofhttp://www.fortheloveofport, but I see that you already did back in '06.
> *Good luck with your search!
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

The above link no longer works.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 13, 1:49*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 1/13/11 9:02 AM, pmata wrote:
>
> > Just wanted to get the word out that I am searching for old bottles of
> > Malaga wine made by Companias Mata during the 1800's and early 1900's. I
> > have already found a few that were imported in Chicago before and after
> > prohibition. These wines were made by my family. Unfortunately in 1964
> > the winery was sold and one of my greatest hopes is to recover some of
> > these bottles.

> > I will be very grateful if some of you can help me find some of these
> > wines.

> I was about to advise you to contact Roy Hersh ofhttp://www.fortheloveofport, but I see that you already did back in '06.
> *Good luck with your search!
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

The above link no longer works Mark.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 13, 4:59*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
> On Jan 13, 1:49*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>

> > On 1/13/11 9:02 AM, pmata wrote:

> > > Just wanted to get the word out that I am searching for old bottles of
> > > Malaga wine made by Companias Mata during the 1800's and early 1900's.. I
> > > have already found a few that were imported in Chicago before and after
> > > prohibition. These wines were made by my family. Unfortunately in 1964
> > > the winery was sold and one of my greatest hopes is to recover some of
> > > these bottles.

> > > I will be very grateful if some of you can help me find some of these
> > > wines.

> > I was about to advise you to contact Roy Hersh ofhttp://www.fortheloveofport, but I see that you already did back in '06.
> > *Good luck with your search!

> > Mark Lipton

> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> The above link no longer works Mark.- Hide quoted text -

just left off the .com

www.fortheloveofport.com.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:02:20 AM UTC-6, pmata wrote:
> Just wanted to get the word out that I am searching for old bottles of
> Malaga wine made by Companias Mata during the 1800's and early 1900's. I
> have already found a few that were imported in Chicago before and after
> prohibition. These wines were made by my family. Unfortunately in 1964
> the winery was sold and one of my greatest hopes is to recover some of
> these bottles.
>
> I will be very grateful if some of you can help me find some of these
> wines.
>
> Thank you,
> Patrick Mata.
>

> --
> pmata

I have a bottle circa 1930's 10 years Malaga in very good shape. I can forward pictures. I live in Chicago.
Sincerely,
John Pickering

[TN] '10 Te Mata "Bullnose" Syrah Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 07-02-2012 08:08 PM
Old Malaga Wine - Compania Mata pmata Wine 0 13-01-2011 02:03 PM
[TN] '99 Te Mata Awatea & '07 Patricia Green Pinot Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 09-10-2009 05:14 AM
Mata Hari Lime Cooler & OVAL Spring Blossom mixr General 0 26-05-2009 08:40 PM
Q to old Malaga Michael Pronay Wine 1 06-05-2004 05:10 PM