Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Sicily and Alsace

Betsy was taking Dave to airport Mon eve, so I was in charge of
dinner. Slow cooker with lentils and tomato, trumpet/creminis, salad,
and garlic bread. I used some of the 2007 Hugel Gewurztraminer (375
ml) for the mushrooms, and we had as an apertif. Floral, some lichee
and peach fruit, a little minty note. Decent acidity for Gewurz, not
exciting but good for a $9 half. B/B-

Dinner wine was the 2000 Calabretta Etna Rosso. At first I'm not a
fan- there's a pruney note and some oxidation over a base of spicy red
fruit. I like it better with air, where paradoxily (is that a word?)
the oxidative notes fade a bit. Medium body, still a fair amount of
tannin. Earth, spice, citrus zest. Not really what I expected (more
tannic and rustic than the Biondi Etna I am used to) but nice wine. A
pretty fair value in mid-$20s. B

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*
*
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 11, 10:30*am, DaleW > wrote:
> Betsy was taking Dave to airport Mon eve, so I was in charge of
> dinner. Slow cooker with lentils and tomato, trumpet/creminis, salad,
> and garlic bread. I used some of the 2007 Hugel Gewurztraminer (375
> ml) for the mushrooms, and we had as an apertif. Floral, some lichee
> and peach fruit, a little minty note. Decent acidity for Gewurz, not
> exciting but good for a $9 half. B/B-
>
> Dinner wine was the 2000 Calabretta Etna Rosso. At first I'm not a
> fan- there's a pruney note and some oxidation over a base of spicy red
> fruit. I like it better with air, where paradoxily (is that a word?)
> the oxidative notes fade a bit. Medium body, still a fair amount of
> tannin. Earth, spice, citrus zest. Not really what I expected (more
> tannic and rustic than the Biondi Etna I am used to) but nice wine. A
> pretty fair value in mid-$20s. B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*
> *

Interesting notes on the Calabretta Etna Rosso. I find the wines of
Sicily to be somewhat paradoxical. I've found some good examples but
generally I find poor either over-ripe wanna-be California knock-offs
or very rustic, high acid plonk. I've never visited Sicily so I don't
know if this is just what the importers offer us or if it is
indicitive of Sicilian wines in general.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 11, 10:36*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Jan 11, 10:30*am, DaleW > wrote:
>>

> Interesting notes on the Calabretta Etna Rosso. *I find the wines of
> Sicily to be somewhat paradoxical. *I've found some good examples but
> generally I find poor either over-ripe wanna-be California knock-offs
> or very rustic, high acid plonk. *I've never visited Sicily so I don't
> know if this is just what the importers offer us or if it is
> indicitive of Sicilian wines in general.

That was generally my impression- overripe glossy Nero d'Avolas, or
somewhat poorly made wines.
But I think Sicily is one of the most improved areas in last few year.
I'm particularly fond of Etna Rosso, the wines are grown up high on Mt
Etna, so not as obviously hot climate. There's a range of styles- the
basic Terre Nere and especially the Biondi come across as almost
Burgundian, the upper level Terre Nere wines are more slick/modern but
very good, and some more rustic wines like this. But in general
interesting appellation.
I also like Montoni's Nero d'Avola, both regular and Vru-something.
Arianna Occhipinti makes very interesting wines in the natural/
hipster mode.
Frank Cornelissen also gets lots of acclaim (and some raspberries) but
I've not tried.

Actually, if anyone is interested in Sicily, this week's Tuesday sale
at Astor Wines is Sicily. 15% off.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 11, 10:57*am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Jan 11, 10:36*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > On Jan 11, 10:30*am, DaleW > wrote:

> > Interesting notes on the Calabretta Etna Rosso. *I find the wines of
> > Sicily to be somewhat paradoxical. *I've found some good examples but
> > generally I find poor either over-ripe wanna-be California knock-offs
> > or very rustic, high acid plonk. *I've never visited Sicily so I don't
> > know if this is just what the importers offer us or if it is
> > indicitive of Sicilian wines in general.

> That was generally my impression- overripe glossy Nero d'Avolas, or
> somewhat poorly made wines.
> But I think Sicily is one of the most improved areas in last few year.
> I'm particularly fond of Etna Rosso, the wines are grown up high on Mt
> Etna, so not as obviously hot climate. There's a range of styles- the
> basic Terre Nere and especially the Biondi come across as almost
> Burgundian, the upper level Terre Nere wines are more slick/modern but
> very good, and some more rustic wines like this. But in general
> interesting appellation.
> I also like Montoni's Nero d'Avola, both regular and Vru-something.
> *Arianna Occhipinti makes very interesting wines in the natural/
> hipster mode.
> Frank Cornelissen also gets lots of acclaim (and some raspberries) but
> I've not tried.
>
> Actually, if anyone is interested in Sicily, this week's Tuesday sale
> at Astor Wines is Sicily. 15% off.

I've probably had more wine from Andrea Franchetti than anyone else in
Sicily. His wines tend to be a bit glossy but "Franchetti" is the
flagship wine and I find it to be a bit over the top.. I really like
the Passopisciaro and tend to think of it as the best example of good
Etna wines.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 1/11/11 10:57 AM, DaleW wrote:

> But I think Sicily is one of the most improved areas in last few year.
> I'm particularly fond of Etna Rosso, the wines are grown up high on Mt
> Etna, so not as obviously hot climate. There's a range of styles- the
> basic Terre Nere and especially the Biondi come across as almost
> Burgundian, the upper level Terre Nere wines are more slick/modern but
> very good, and some more rustic wines like this. But in general
> interesting appellation.
> I also like Montoni's Nero d'Avola, both regular and Vru-something.
> Arianna Occhipinti makes very interesting wines in the natural/
> hipster mode.

Arianna Occhipinti and her uncle at COS make some very interesting wines
from unusual grapes like Frappato. Of the Occhipinti wines, I've most
enjoyed the SP64 blend.

> Frank Cornelissen also gets lots of acclaim (and some raspberries) but
> I've not tried.

Yes, Cornelissen's wines are about as controversial as any I can think
of. There seems to be a lot of sentiment (as opposed to sediment) that
a lot of them that reach the US have been damaged in some way. I dunno:
too pricey for an experiment in my book.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 11, 11:30*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 1/11/11 10:57 AM, DaleW wrote:
>
> > But I think Sicily is one of the most improved areas in last few year.
> > I'm particularly fond of Etna Rosso, the wines are grown up high on Mt
> > Etna, so not as obviously hot climate. There's a range of styles- the
> > basic Terre Nere and especially the Biondi come across as almost
> > Burgundian, the upper level Terre Nere wines are more slick/modern but
> > very good, and some more rustic wines like this. But in general
> > interesting appellation.
> > I also like Montoni's Nero d'Avola, both regular and Vru-something.
> > *Arianna Occhipinti makes very interesting wines in the natural/
> > hipster mode.

> Arianna Occhipinti and her uncle at COS make some very interesting wines
> from unusual grapes like Frappato. *Of the Occhipinti wines, I've most
> enjoyed the SP64 blend.
>
> > Frank Cornelissen also gets lots of acclaim (and some raspberries) but
> > I've not tried.

> Yes, Cornelissen's wines are about as controversial as any I can think
> of. *There seems to be a lot of sentiment (as opposed to sediment) that
> a lot of them that reach the US have been damaged in some way. *I dunno:
> too pricey for an experiment in my book.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

All of this talk of Sicily made me recall that I had purchased a mixed
case of Sicilian wine years ago and I still have a few bottles
remaining so I just checked and I have a couple of bottles of 1985
Duca Enrico Rosso Sicilia Nero D'Avola. I'll open a bottle with
dinner tonight and report. Not expecting much.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 11, 10:12*am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> On 1/11/2011 5:30 PM, Mark Lipton wrote:
>
> > Yes, Cornelissen's wines are about as controversial as any I can think
> > of. *There seems to be a lot of sentiment (as opposed to sediment) that
> > a lot of them that reach the US have been damaged in some way. *I dunno:
> > too pricey for an experiment in my book.

> Mark, they are damaged at birth. I know there are people ready to line
> up for these wines, which proves how effective marketing can be. The
> basic problem is that they don't know how to make wine.

I too have been disappointed with Cormelissen wines and have yet to
find one that appeals to my tastes. I'm still trying to find Sicilian
wines I really like other than the ones I really can't afford like
Vega.

TN: 3 wines- Sicily, MSR, Margaux DaleW Wine 0 21-04-2010 02:30 AM
TN: Italy from either end (Friuli and Sicily) DaleW Wine 0 04-01-2010 08:05 PM
TN: Dinner w/Daffoldils (Languedoc, Alsace, Loire, Burg, Sicily,Barsac) DaleW Wine 9 28-04-2009 06:29 PM
Developments in Sicily UC Wine 0 04-10-2006 10:21 PM
Sicily wine Shaiulud Wine 0 30-05-2006 06:15 PM