FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Tuscany, Campania, Dordogne (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/403944-tn-tuscany-campania-dordogne.html)

DaleW 06-01-2011 06:05 PM

TN: Tuscany, Campania, Dordogne

Dave and Mary Kate graced us with their presence at dinner table last
night, Betsy decided to make Bolognese sauce, long a Dave fave.
Cooking/apertif wine was the 2009 Richard Bergerac Sec. Clean, crisp,
a little bit of grass. No apparent oak, nice but nothing that screams
buy again (though at $10 certainly acceptable value). B-

With the pasta/ragu, Betsy also made broccoli and a "butter bean bagna
cauda" salad. I wanted Italian red, and brought up the 1997
Mastrobernardino Radici Taurasi. Some VA, cherries, a bit pruney. Big,
still a bit of rough tannin on the backend. Wait, why am I drinking
this? C+

Replacement was the 2002 Montevertine. A bit too chilly, I decanted
and it gradually warmed up. Dried cherry, saddle leather, violets, a
bit of herb. This seems mature, midbodied, not a great Montevertine
but excellent for vintage. Probably at its best after couple hours in
decanter, last glass was falling apart a bit. B+/B

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

Mark Lipton[_1_] 06-01-2011 06:35 PM

On 1/6/11 1:05 PM, DaleW wrote:

> With the pasta/ragu, Betsy also made broccoli and a "butter bean bagna
> cauda" salad. I wanted Italian red, and brought up the 1997
> Mastrobernardino Radici Taurasi. Some VA, cherries, a bit pruney. Big,
> still a bit of rough tannin on the backend. Wait, why am I drinking
> this? C+
>
> Replacement was the 2002 Montevertine. A bit too chilly, I decanted
> and it gradually warmed up. Dried cherry, saddle leather, violets, a
> bit of herb. This seems mature, midbodied, not a great Montevertine
> but excellent for vintage. Probably at its best after couple hours in
> decanter, last glass was falling apart a bit. B+/B

Interesting notes, Dale. How was 2002 in Tuscany? Did they have the
sort of rain problems that plagued Provence? And what was up with the
Taurasi? Was it flawed, or did you just not like it? I would think
that Aglianico would be right up your alley, being the "Nebbiolo of the
South" and all...

Mark Lipton

Bi!! 06-01-2011 07:02 PM

On Jan 6, 1:05*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Dave and Mary Kate graced us with their presence at dinner table last
> night, Betsy decided to make Bolognese sauce, long a Dave fave.
> Cooking/apertif wine was the 2009 Richard Bergerac Sec. Clean, crisp,
> a little bit of grass. No apparent oak, nice but nothing that screams
> buy again (though at $10 certainly acceptable value). B-
>
> With the pasta/ragu, Betsy also made broccoli and a "butter bean bagna
> cauda" salad. I wanted Italian red, and brought up the 1997
> Mastrobernardino Radici Taurasi. Some VA, cherries, a bit pruney. Big,
> still a bit of rough tannin on the backend. Wait, why am I drinking
> this? C+
>
> Replacement was the 2002 Montevertine. A bit too chilly, I decanted
> and it gradually warmed up. Dried cherry, saddle leather, violets, a
> bit of herb. This seems mature, midbodied, not a great Montevertine
> but excellent for vintage. Probably at its best after couple hours in
> decanter, last glass was falling apart a bit. B+/B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

While I've been a fan of Montevertine for years I've found the last
few bottles I've openend ('97,'99, '00) have shown a bit more oak than
I recalled (or prefer). How was the oak on this vintage?

Bill S. 06-01-2011 07:24 PM

TN: Tuscany, Campania, Dordogne

I find the 2000 Radici to be 'au point ' right now. Surprised that
the 1997 is still showing that degree of tannin!

DaleW 06-01-2011 07:28 PM

On Jan 6, 1:35*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 1/6/11 1:05 PM, DaleW wrote:
>
> > With the pasta/ragu, Betsy also made broccoli and a "butter bean bagna
> > cauda" salad. I wanted Italian red, and brought up the 1997
> > Mastrobernardino Radici Taurasi. Some VA, cherries, a bit pruney. Big,
> > still a bit of rough tannin on the backend. Wait, why am I drinking
> > this? C+

> > Replacement was the 2002 Montevertine. A bit too chilly, I decanted
> > and it gradually warmed up. Dried cherry, saddle leather, violets, a
> > bit of herb. This seems mature, midbodied, not a great Montevertine
> > but excellent for vintage. Probably at its best after couple hours in
> > decanter, last glass was falling apart a bit. B+/B

> Interesting notes, Dale. *How was 2002 in Tuscany? *Did they have the
> sort of rain problems that plagued Provence? *And what was up with the
> Taurasi? *Was it flawed, or did you just not like it? *I would think
> that Aglianico would be right up your alley, being the "Nebbiolo of the
> South" and all...
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

2002 was considered a disaster in TUscany I believe. Late rains. But I
think that they didn't make a Pergole Torte this year, just the entry
Pian del Ciampolo and this. So some good juice "declassified", and
strict selection, made for a good if not great wine

I usually do like the Mastrobernardino Taurasi, not sure if this was
storage (mine should have been fine, but I only got this about
2004/2005, so a few years in system)

Bill, no real apparent oak - this is the regular, not the Riserva.

The 68 Mastrobernardino Riserva is one of the greatest Italian wines
I've ever had.

DaleW 06-01-2011 09:27 PM

On Jan 6, 2:02*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Jan 6, 1:05*pm, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > Dave and Mary Kate graced us with their presence at dinner table last
> > night, Betsy decided to make Bolognese sauce, long a Dave fave.
> > Cooking/apertif wine was the 2009 Richard Bergerac Sec. Clean, crisp,
> > a little bit of grass. No apparent oak, nice but nothing that screams
> > buy again (though at $10 certainly acceptable value). B-

> > With the pasta/ragu, Betsy also made broccoli and a "butter bean bagna
> > cauda" salad. I wanted Italian red, and brought up the 1997
> > Mastrobernardino Radici Taurasi. Some VA, cherries, a bit pruney. Big,
> > still a bit of rough tannin on the backend. Wait, why am I drinking
> > this? C+

> > Replacement was the 2002 Montevertine. A bit too chilly, I decanted
> > and it gradually warmed up. Dried cherry, saddle leather, violets, a
> > bit of herb. This seems mature, midbodied, not a great Montevertine
> > but excellent for vintage. Probably at its best after couple hours in
> > decanter, last glass was falling apart a bit. B+/B

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

> While I've been a fan of Montevertine for years I've found the last
> few bottles I've openend ('97,'99, '00) have shown a bit more oak than
> I recalled (or prefer). *How was the oak on this vintage?

Bill, I actually misread your question, thought you were asking about
the Taurasi. I didn't find noticable oak, I don't usually find
Montevertine oaky except maybe in young Pergole Torte. I know the
Sodaccio and PdC are all botti, and the Pergole Torte botti then
barrique of mixed age, but don't know what the regular/Riserva (they
just used to call it riserva if they thought vintage could use a bit
more bottle age) does, and if it has changed.

Bi!! 07-01-2011 04:00 PM

On Jan 6, 4:27*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2:02*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > On Jan 6, 1:05*pm, DaleW > wrote:

> > > Dave and Mary Kate graced us with their presence at dinner table last
> > > night, Betsy decided to make Bolognese sauce, long a Dave fave.
> > > Cooking/apertif wine was the 2009 Richard Bergerac Sec. Clean, crisp,
> > > a little bit of grass. No apparent oak, nice but nothing that screams
> > > buy again (though at $10 certainly acceptable value). B-

> > > With the pasta/ragu, Betsy also made broccoli and a "butter bean bagna
> > > cauda" salad. I wanted Italian red, and brought up the 1997
> > > Mastrobernardino Radici Taurasi. Some VA, cherries, a bit pruney. Big,
> > > still a bit of rough tannin on the backend. Wait, why am I drinking
> > > this? C+

> > > Replacement was the 2002 Montevertine. A bit too chilly, I decanted
> > > and it gradually warmed up. Dried cherry, saddle leather, violets, a
> > > bit of herb. This seems mature, midbodied, not a great Montevertine
> > > but excellent for vintage. Probably at its best after couple hours in
> > > decanter, last glass was falling apart a bit. B+/B

> > > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

> > While I've been a fan of Montevertine for years I've found the last
> > few bottles I've openend ('97,'99, '00) have shown a bit more oak than
> > I recalled (or prefer). *How was the oak on this vintage?

> Bill, I actually misread your question, thought you were asking about
> the Taurasi. I didn't find noticable oak, I don't usually find
> Montevertine oaky except maybe in young Pergole Torte. I know the
> Sodaccio and PdC are all botti, and the Pergole Torte botti then
> barrique of mixed age, but don't know what the regular/Riserva (they
> just used to call it riserva if they thought vintage could use a bit
> more bottle age) does, and if it has changed.- Hide quoted text -

My recollection is 24 months of Slovenian Oak on the regular
Montevertine.

DaleW 07-01-2011 09:25 PM

On Jan 7, 11:00*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Jan 6, 4:27*pm, DaleW > wrote:

> > > While I've been a fan of Montevertine for years I've found the last
> > > few bottles I've openend ('97,'99, '00) have shown a bit more oak than
> > > I recalled (or prefer). *How was the oak on this vintage?

> > Bill, I actually misread your question, thought you were asking about
> > the Taurasi. I didn't find noticable oak, I don't usually find
> > Montevertine oaky except maybe in young Pergole Torte. I know the
> > Sodaccio and PdC are all botti, and the Pergole Torte botti then
> > barrique of mixed age, but don't know what the regular/Riserva (they
> > just used to call it riserva if they thought vintage could use a bit
> > more bottle age) does, and if it has changed.- Hide quoted text -

> My recollection is 24 months of Slovenian Oak on the regular
> Montevertine.

Gilman says 24 months in old Slovenian botti for the regular (which
used to be the Riserva), the PdC, and Sodaccio (which is temporarily
old of lineup, vines were grubbed up and replanted circa 2000). PT is
18 months in old botti, and then 6 months in barrique, no more than
25% new .