Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2 Beaujolais, 1 Burg PN, 1 NZ SB

Betsy picked up her parents at airport after getting brisket started,
I was just in charge of getting root vegetables in oven and setting
table. When in-laws arrived we sat down to an excellent dinner, and:

2009 JP Brun/Terres Dorees Fleurie
Red and black cherries, a hint of herb, a little gunflint note. Medium
bodied, good acidity, some light tannins. This is really nice, though
I think I slightly prefer his great Cote de Brouilly for this vintage.
B+

2005 Pascal*Aufranc*Chenas Vieilles Vignes de 1939*
After I got this saw some really poor notes on it, with banana
comments. I didn't actually get that at all, just clean rep fruit, a
touch of green herbs. Perfectly solid Beaujolais, though lacking a
bit in excitement. B-

Everyone went over to Betsy's sister's for a holiday dinner before
Kath's family goes to ski area for Christmas. Betsy made a spicy
shrimp appetizer, Cal did pesto salmon, mashed potatoes, and Brussels
sprouts, pumpkin pie brought up the rear.

2009 Kono Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)
Gooseberry and grapefruit, very light (borders on dilute), edge of
sweetness, not exciting but good backdrop for spicy shrimp. Acceptable
for inexpensive SB. B-/C+

2002 Jadot "Clos des Couchereaux" Beaune 1er
I double decanted this before we went over. Seemed a wee bit tight
when opened, but by time we sat down was showing rather well. Red
cherries, cocoa, earth. Pretty ripe, but enough acidity to balance,
still some tannin hanging on. Probably needs a couple more years, but
giving pleasure now. B+/B

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

*