FoodBanter.com

-   -   Holiday Dinner-Bordeaux Burgundy (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/403318-holiday-dinner-bordeaux-burgundy.html)

Bi!! 15-12-2010 06:53 PM

Holiday Dinner-Bordeaux Burgundy

Met a couple of wine friends for dinner last night. Menu included
crispy sweetbreads, rack of lamb and Dover sole. Wines were from our
cellar except the starter Champagne.

1999 Dom Perignon-Typical Dom with nice fruity style. Refreshing and
crisp with apples, pears and a hint of mineral on the finish. It was
featured at the restaurant and offered at a great price. "B+"

2002 Olivier Leflaive Le Montrachet-Started out great with powerful
lemon pie aromas and a nice earthy undertone but faded in the glass
within five minutes to an oxidized mess. Pity.

2004 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier Montrachet-Lean and racy at first with
zippy lemon-lime acidity but rounded out with time into a smooth, rich
polished Chardonnay with great citrus tones and chalky flavors. "A-"

1983 Ch. Margaux-Ruby red in the glass with very little brickish
color. Explosive aroma of black cherries and wildflowers. Stunning
on the palate. Cassis, sweet cherry, cedar and tobacco. The wotn. "A
+"

1982 Ch. Mouton-Dark inky color. Tight nose of earthy mushrooms and
cassis. Very powerful on the palate. Still a bit tannic with
blackberry, black currant and coffee flavors. Still years from
maturity. "A-"

1971 Ch. D'Yquem-Color of dark caramel. Botrytis aromas on the nose.
Tasty on the palate with burnt sugar and orange zest.

DaleW 18-12-2010 04:06 PM

On Dec 15, 12:53*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> Met a couple of wine friends for dinner last night. *Menu included
> crispy sweetbreads, rack of lamb and Dover sole. Wines were from our
> cellar except the starter Champagne.
>
> 1999 Dom Perignon-Typical Dom with nice fruity style. *Refreshing and
> crisp with apples, pears and a hint of mineral on the finish. *It was
> featured at the restaurant and offered at a great price. "B+"
>
> 2002 Olivier Leflaive Le Montrachet-Started out great with powerful
> lemon pie aromas and a nice earthy undertone but faded in the glass
> within five minutes to an oxidized mess. *Pity.
>
> 2004 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier Montrachet-Lean and racy at first with
> zippy lemon-lime acidity but rounded out with time into a smooth, rich
> polished Chardonnay with great citrus tones and chalky flavors. "A-"
>
> 1983 Ch. Margaux-Ruby red in the glass with very little brickish
> color. *Explosive aroma of black cherries and wildflowers. *Stunning
> on the palate. *Cassis, sweet cherry, cedar and tobacco. *The wotn. "A
> +"
>
> 1982 Ch. Mouton-Dark inky color. *Tight nose of earthy mushrooms and
> cassis. *Very powerful on the palate. *Still a bit tannic with
> blackberry, black currant and coffee flavors. *Still years from
> maturity. "A-"
>
> 1971 Ch. D'Yquem-Color of dark caramel. *Botrytis aromas on the nose.
> Tasty on the palate with burnt sugar and orange zest.

83 Margaux, 82 Mouton, and sweetbreads in one night (the rest of wines
are pretty serious, too!)? I am VERY jealous.

DaleW 18-12-2010 04:08 PM

On Dec 15, 12:53*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> Met a couple of wine friends for dinner last night. *Menu included
> crispy sweetbreads, rack of lamb and Dover sole. Wines were from our
> cellar except the starter Champagne.
>
> 1999 Dom Perignon-Typical Dom with nice fruity style. *Refreshing and
> crisp with apples, pears and a hint of mineral on the finish. *It was
> featured at the restaurant and offered at a great price. "B+"
>
> 2002 Olivier Leflaive Le Montrachet-Started out great with powerful
> lemon pie aromas and a nice earthy undertone but faded in the glass
> within five minutes to an oxidized mess. *Pity.
>
> 2004 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier Montrachet-Lean and racy at first with
> zippy lemon-lime acidity but rounded out with time into a smooth, rich
> polished Chardonnay with great citrus tones and chalky flavors. "A-"
>
> 1983 Ch. Margaux-Ruby red in the glass with very little brickish
> color. *Explosive aroma of black cherries and wildflowers. *Stunning
> on the palate. *Cassis, sweet cherry, cedar and tobacco. *The wotn. "A
> +"
>
> 1982 Ch. Mouton-Dark inky color. *Tight nose of earthy mushrooms and
> cassis. *Very powerful on the palate. *Still a bit tannic with
> blackberry, black currant and coffee flavors. *Still years from
> maturity. "A-"
>
> 1971 Ch. D'Yquem-Color of dark caramel. *Botrytis aromas on the nose.
> Tasty on the palate with burnt sugar and orange zest.

PS I love the 83 Margaux. Have you tried the '82- I think everyone I
know with experience of both prefers 83. It used to be comparative
bargain, but it's super-expensive now.

Bi!! 20-12-2010 04:32 PM

On Dec 18, 10:08*am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Dec 15, 12:53*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > Met a couple of wine friends for dinner last night. *Menu included
> > crispy sweetbreads, rack of lamb and Dover sole. Wines were from our
> > cellar except the starter Champagne.

> > 1999 Dom Perignon-Typical Dom with nice fruity style. *Refreshing and
> > crisp with apples, pears and a hint of mineral on the finish. *It was
> > featured at the restaurant and offered at a great price. "B+"

> > 2002 Olivier Leflaive Le Montrachet-Started out great with powerful
> > lemon pie aromas and a nice earthy undertone but faded in the glass
> > within five minutes to an oxidized mess. *Pity.

> > 2004 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier Montrachet-Lean and racy at first with
> > zippy lemon-lime acidity but rounded out with time into a smooth, rich
> > polished Chardonnay with great citrus tones and chalky flavors. "A-"

> > 1983 Ch. Margaux-Ruby red in the glass with very little brickish
> > color. *Explosive aroma of black cherries and wildflowers. *Stunning
> > on the palate. *Cassis, sweet cherry, cedar and tobacco. *The wotn. "A
> > +"

> > 1982 Ch. Mouton-Dark inky color. *Tight nose of earthy mushrooms and
> > cassis. *Very powerful on the palate. *Still a bit tannic with
> > blackberry, black currant and coffee flavors. *Still years from
> > maturity. "A-"

> > 1971 Ch. D'Yquem-Color of dark caramel. *Botrytis aromas on the nose.
> > Tasty on the palate with burnt sugar and orange zest.

> PS I love the 83 Margaux. Have you tried the '82- I think everyone I
> know with experience of both prefers 83. It used to be comparative
> bargain, but it's super-expensive now.- Hide quoted text -

I have had the '82 Margaux but honestly..the '83 rocked my world! No
doubt my wine of the year for 2010. The restaurant (The Refectory)is
our favorite place in Columbus and has been for many, many years. The
owner is a dear friend and he knows I like sweetbreads so he made sure
they wre on the menu for me and the Lyon trained chef knows how to
prepare them...yikes...bad for the purine content but oh so yummy.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 20-12-2010 05:04 PM

On 12/20/10 10:32 AM, Bi!! wrote:

> I have had the '82 Margaux but honestly..the '83 rocked my world! No
> doubt my wine of the year for 2010. The restaurant (The Refectory)is
> our favorite place in Columbus and has been for many, many years. The
> owner is a dear friend and he knows I like sweetbreads so he made sure
> they wre on the menu for me and the Lyon trained chef knows how to
> prepare them...yikes...bad for the purine content but oh so yummy.

You do drink well, Bill. I bought Jean a bottle of the '83 Margaux as a
present when she got her Ph. D. lo those many years ago (when the '83
was the current release) for the then princely sum of $35. We opened it
last year.... and it was corked! :( I'm glad that your bottle was
untainted.

Cheers!
Mark Lipton

Bi!! 20-12-2010 06:05 PM

On Dec 20, 11:04*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 12/20/10 10:32 AM, Bi!! wrote:
>
> > I have had the '82 Margaux but honestly..the '83 rocked my world! *No
> > doubt my wine of the year for 2010. *The restaurant *(The Refectory)is
> > our favorite place in Columbus and has been for many, many years. *The
> > owner is a dear friend and he knows I like sweetbreads so he made sure
> > they wre on the menu for me and the Lyon trained chef knows how to
> > prepare them...yikes...bad for the purine content but oh so yummy.

> You do drink well, Bill. *I bought Jean a bottle of the '83 Margaux as a
> present when she got her Ph. D. lo those many years ago (when the '83
> was the current release) for the then princely sum of $35. *We opened it
> last year.... and it was corked! :( *I'm glad that your bottle was
> untainted.
>
> Cheers!
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

If you ever get to Columbus on academic business (we do have a large
university here) you can pick the dinner wines from my cellar! I was
blessed to have grown up in a very ethnic area of Ohio where wine
making and wine drinking was encouraged. I worked in a wine store in
the late 60's while in high school for a guy with a great palate and a
better mind and I was also fortunate to marry a fantastic woman with a
good palate and the good sense to start buying and storing wine in the
80's. My corporate life allowed us to travel extensively to wine
destinations in Europe and the US and I was gifted great wine on a
regular basis. I also, upon retirement, made an investment into a
nice wine distributorship in Ohio which gave me even further access to
terrific wines. I only have a few bottles of 80's Bordeaux left and
much of my 90's purchases of Bordeaux centered around non-first growth
Chateaux. My cellar is aging and i'm trying to drink it while it's
still prime but it can be a real chore...:-). Help!!!