Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Bdx, CA, NM, and Wachau

Some friends and their pup came over for dinner last night. Nancy
brought a first course of squash and chevre in puff pastry, and Ron a
bottle of the NV Gruet Brut Rose. Fresh red (strawberry/raspberry)
fruit, just a hint of breadiness. Pretty simple, but at $10 I think he
got a good deal. B-

Betsy had made the Zuni cafe chicken with bread salad and roasted
vegetables. We tried:

2007 Donabaum "Spitzer Point" Gruner Veltliner Smaragd
I've liked this much more before, somehow tonight it seems heavy and
dull (even though there a little hint of spritz on opening). Thick,
sweet peas and sweet apple, just not much going on here. Screwcapped,
but I don't think it's reduction. It does have a long finish. C+/B-

2003 Marojallia (Margaux)
What one might expect from garagiste Margaux- glossy, smooth, but not
especially evocative of Margaux. Cassis fruit, mocha coffee, a little
lead pencil note to suggest maybe it's not CalCab after all. Big, but
easy tannins. Very popular with table, but not something I'd buy after
tasting. B-

2005 Havens "Hudson Vineyard" Syrah (Carneros)
Dark berry fruit, smoke and a little whiff of barnyard. Midbodied, a
spicy edge, not very long. Enough tannin to go a bit further. B/B-

I thought food and friendship was better than wine, but a good time
was had by all

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

[TN] '09 Domäne Wachau GV Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 28-03-2011 03:06 AM
TN: 2 Riesling (Wachau, MSR), 1 PN (Chambolle) DaleW Wine 0 23-02-2010 12:49 AM
TN: Cali PN and Wachau GV DaleW Wine 11 30-03-2009 08:02 PM
[TN] '06 Domäne Wachau Grüner Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 12-05-2008 09:24 PM
TN: 04 Domane Wachau GV DaleW Wine 0 16-08-2006 06:56 PM