Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pinot Noir

Is this a correct definition?:

- P.N. grown in Burgundy is called Burgundy; grown anywhere else is
called P.N.
Posted to alt.food.wine

aesthete8 wrote:
> Is this a correct definition?:
>
> - P.N. grown in Burgundy is called Burgundy; grown anywhere else is
> called P.N.

No, that's not correct. The grape is known as Pinot Noir in Burgundy,
too (except when it's known as Pinot Fin) but wines made from it are
required by law to be labeled with their region name, not their grape
name. Hence, the wines from Burgundy are labeled with the vineyard
name, the village name or "Burgundy," but only in rare cases can the
words "Pinot Noir" appear on the label.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 8, 9:13*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> aesthete8 wrote:
> > Is this a correct definition?:

> > - P.N. grown in Burgundy is called Burgundy; grown anywhere else is
> > called P.N.

> No, that's not correct. *The grape is known as Pinot Noir in Burgundy,
> too (except when it's known as Pinot Fin) but wines made from it are
> required by law to be labeled with their region name, not their grape
> name. *Hence, the wines from Burgundy are labeled with the vineyard
> name, the village name or "Burgundy," but only in rare cases can the
> words "Pinot Noir" appear on the label.
>
> Mark Lipton

Not as rare now as it used to be- now they've expanded so that Pinot
Noir can appear on basic Bourgogne, some producers do, others don't.

Plus Pinot Noir can be called Pinot Nero in Italy, Blauburgunder in
Austria, Spatburgunder in Germany.
Posted to alt.food.wine

And just to make things even more complicated, the labelling "Bourgogne"
does not necessarily imply that it is 100% P.N., as there is the odd bottle
of Bourgogne-Passetoutgrains containing a blend of PN and Gamay...

"DaleW" > wrote in message
On Dec 8, 9:13 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> aesthete8 wrote:
> > Is this a correct definition?:

> > - P.N. grown in Burgundy is called Burgundy; grown anywhere else is
> > called P.N.

> No, that's not correct. The grape is known as Pinot Noir in Burgundy,
> too (except when it's known as Pinot Fin) but wines made from it are
> required by law to be labeled with their region name, not their grape
> name. Hence, the wines from Burgundy are labeled with the vineyard
> name, the village name or "Burgundy," but only in rare cases can the
> words "Pinot Noir" appear on the label.
>
> Mark Lipton

Not as rare now as it used to be- now they've expanded so that Pinot
Noir can appear on basic Bourgogne, some producers do, others don't.

Plus Pinot Noir can be called Pinot Nero in Italy, Blauburgunder in
Austria, Spatburgunder in Germany.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/10/10 1:30 PM, Yves wrote:
> And just to make things even more complicated, the labelling "Bourgogne"
> does not necessarily imply that it is 100% P.N., as there is the odd bottle
> of Bourgogne-Passetoutgrains containing a blend of PN and Gamay...

And of course "Bourgogne" can include Chardonnay, too ;-) There's also
Bourgogne Grand Ordinaire, to really complicate things, that can include
Gamay, too (and the whites can have Melon de Bourgogne, the grape of
Muscadet).

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/12/2010 20:53, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 12/10/10 1:30 PM, Yves wrote:
>> And just to make things even more complicated, the labelling "Bourgogne"
>> does not necessarily imply that it is 100% P.N., as there is the odd bottle
>> of Bourgogne-Passetoutgrains containing a blend of PN and Gamay...

> And of course "Bourgogne" can include Chardonnay, too ;-) There's also
> Bourgogne Grand Ordinaire, to really complicate things, that can include
> Gamay, too (and the whites can have Melon de Bourgogne, the grape of
> Muscadet).

Bourgogne Rouge can be 100% Gamay if from one of 9 of the Beaujolais Crus.

And quite a lot of other grapes in small quantities can go into straight
read or white Bourgogne - usually (perhaps exclusively) if there is some
sort of historical precedent in a particular area. I have a white Clos
de l'Arlot, which apparently contains a significant proportion of Pinot
Gris.

--
www.winenous.co.uk
Posted to alt.food.wine

In message >
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> On 12/10/10 1:30 PM, Yves wrote:
>> And just to make things even more complicated, the labelling "Bourgogne"
>> does not necessarily imply that it is 100% P.N., as there is the odd bottle
>> of Bourgogne-Passetoutgrains containing a blend of PN and Gamay...

> And of course "Bourgogne" can include Chardonnay, too ;-) There's also
> Bourgogne Grand Ordinaire, to really complicate things, that can include
> Gamay, too (and the whites can have Melon de Bourgogne, the grape of
> Muscadet).

> Mark Lipton

And St. Bris,now an Apellation d'Origine Bourgogne Protegée/Controlée,
is made wholly with Sauvignon Blanc.

Tim Hartley

TN Pinot Noir SFWS John T Wine 12 12-10-2007 09:56 PM
Best Pinot Noir within $40? Professor Wine 31 11-12-2006 02:22 AM
Pinot Noir Mike Winemaking 9 11-09-2004 12:45 AM
Pinot Noir ernie Winemaking 4 10-04-2004 10:08 PM
TN: Rex Goliath Pinot Noir Dale Williams Wine 8 03-04-2004 06:21 PM