Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Three Chardonnays

We made the Zuni Cafe Chicken Salad for dinner last night and I opened
some chardonnay to see which worked best.

2004 Leeuwin Art Series Chardonnay-Upon opening, the nose was pure
tropical fruit..mango, pineapple, papaya but most of this blew off in
a few minutes leaving more pineapple-grapefruit aromas. With some
time in the glass the wine was explosive on the palate changing and
evolving with each sip. Plenty of pineapple and tropical notes with
vanilla and butterscotch. Fair amount of acidity and a limestone
mineral component coming through on the finish. Lemon-lime citrus
notes began to take over and by the time the bottle was finished it
was more burgundian than I expected. It started out like a warm
climate Chard and ended up like a cool weather chard. Very complex
and exciting. "A"

2006 Dom Henri Boillot Bienvenues-Batard-Montrachet--Should have
opened this one first. Initial steely mineral driven nose with some
floral undertones. Shows a nice blanace of minerality and fruit with
pear and apple notes. Perhaps the most floral white Burgundy I've had
in a long time. "B"

2007 Kongsgaard "The Judge" Napa Chardonnay-This one is pure liquid
rocks and lemon curd. Big but balanced and hugely concentrated
flavors with a nice acidity to keep it from being overwhelming. "B+"

I enjoyed the Leeuwin the most but the best match for me with the
chicken salad was the Kongsgaard.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 8, 10:26*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> We made the Zuni Cafe Chicken Salad for dinner last night and I opened
> some chardonnay to see which worked best.
>
> 2004 Leeuwin Art Series Chardonnay-Upon opening, the nose was pure
> tropical fruit..mango, pineapple, papaya but most of this blew off in
> a few minutes leaving more pineapple-grapefruit aromas. *With some
> time in the glass the wine was explosive on the palate changing and
> evolving with each sip. *Plenty of pineapple and tropical notes with
> vanilla and butterscotch. *Fair amount of acidity and a limestone
> mineral component coming through on the finish. *Lemon-lime citrus
> notes began to take over and by the time the bottle was finished it
> was more burgundian than I expected. *It started out like a warm
> climate Chard and ended up like a cool weather chard. *Very complex
> and exciting. "A"
>
> 2006 Dom Henri Boillot Bienvenues-Batard-Montrachet--Should have
> opened this one first. *Initial steely mineral driven nose with some
> floral undertones. *Shows a nice blanace of minerality and fruit with
> pear and apple notes. *Perhaps the most floral white Burgundy I've had
> in a long time. *"B"
>
> 2007 Kongsgaard "The Judge" Napa Chardonnay-This one is pure liquid
> rocks and lemon curd. *Big but balanced and hugely concentrated
> flavors with a nice acidity to keep it from being overwhelming. "B+"
>
> I enjoyed the Leeuwin the most but the best match for me *with the
> chicken salad was the Kongsgaard.

Is this the roast chicken/bread salad? Great recipe.
The Leeuwin Art Series are nice wines
When I had the Judge blind, I thought 03 Grand Cru (big and ripe, but
not super-California-y
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 8, 10:41*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Dec 8, 10:26*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > We made the Zuni Cafe Chicken Salad for dinner last night and I opened
> > some chardonnay to see which worked best.

> > 2004 Leeuwin Art Series Chardonnay-Upon opening, the nose was pure
> > tropical fruit..mango, pineapple, papaya but most of this blew off in
> > a few minutes leaving more pineapple-grapefruit aromas. *With some
> > time in the glass the wine was explosive on the palate changing and
> > evolving with each sip. *Plenty of pineapple and tropical notes with
> > vanilla and butterscotch. *Fair amount of acidity and a limestone
> > mineral component coming through on the finish. *Lemon-lime citrus
> > notes began to take over and by the time the bottle was finished it
> > was more burgundian than I expected. *It started out like a warm
> > climate Chard and ended up like a cool weather chard. *Very complex
> > and exciting. "A"

> > 2006 Dom Henri Boillot Bienvenues-Batard-Montrachet--Should have
> > opened this one first. *Initial steely mineral driven nose with some
> > floral undertones. *Shows a nice blanace of minerality and fruit with
> > pear and apple notes. *Perhaps the most floral white Burgundy I've had
> > in a long time. *"B"

> > 2007 Kongsgaard "The Judge" Napa Chardonnay-This one is pure liquid
> > rocks and lemon curd. *Big but balanced and hugely concentrated
> > flavors with a nice acidity to keep it from being overwhelming. "B+"

> > I enjoyed the Leeuwin the most but the best match for me *with the
> > chicken salad was the Kongsgaard.

> Is this the roast chicken/bread salad? Great recipe.
> The Leeuwin Art Series are nice wines
> When I had the Judge blind, I thought 03 Grand Cru *(big and ripe, but
> not super-California-y- Hide quoted text -

Yes the Zuni Cafe Chicken Bread salad. You turned me on to it and
it's one of my favorite recipes...the chicken itself it great!
The Judge can be a bit over the top but when it's right it's fabulous.

WTN: Back to NY, with Riesling, Chardonnays, PN, etc DaleW Wine 0 22-02-2016 06:03 PM
2011 Diatom Chardonnays Bi!! Wine 5 17-09-2012 05:41 PM
Some older Chardonnays Jim Mehl Wine 7 09-11-2007 11:24 PM
TN 89 & 90 Mount Eden Estate Chardonnays Cwdjrx _ Wine 8 26-07-2004 06:33 AM
looking for buttery (malolactic) chardonnays Tom S Wine 7 22-07-2004 06:40 PM