Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 3 California Reds from The '90's

Pulled some wines that need to be drank last night to drink with
dinner. I made venison "swiss steak" using top round steak and a fire
roasted tomato braise.

1994 Altamura Napa Cabernet-The wine was still dark in the glass.
Initially very tight then opening up with black currant and eucalyptus
notes on the nose. Medium bodied with slightly faded fruit. Never
really gained weight or rounded out in the glass as the wine was quite
stern and angular. Was expecting more and was better 5 years ago. "C
+"

1995 Caymus Napa Cabernet- Slightly brickish in the glass. Virtually
no nose on opening slowly gaining black berry and wet stone aromas. I
let this sit in the glass for an hour and the wine improved markedly.
Blackberry, black cherry, elderberry and black coffee flavors
emerged. Drying tannins were a bit tough on the finish with a bitter
undercurrant that I could have done without. "B-"

1999 Luna Canto Reserve. I think John Kongsgaard was the winemaker at
Luna when this was made but I'm not sure. It's a blend of Sangiovese,
Cab and Merlot. Bright cherry nose with a strong iron mineral
component. Lighter in body than I expected. High toned acidity with
a fairly strong fruit component. Good but not great. "B-"

Big Reds [email protected] Wine 0 12-10-2009 09:03 AM
China reds vs Indian reds color Melinda Tea 9 05-09-2007 05:59 PM
California reds win by a nose in tasting rematch [email protected] Wine 4 28-05-2006 05:05 AM
Two new reds PP Wine 3 15-04-2006 03:16 AM
Two reds in PA Ewan McNay Wine 0 13-07-2004 05:30 PM