Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN:Corton-Charlemagne 1992, Domaine Louis Latour and others

All of the wines discussed were properly stored by me since shortly
after release, had good fills, and had no cork or other issues.

Corton-Charlemagne 1992, Domaine Louis Latour: This wine is well
balanced, very complex, and quite intense. It likely will hold well a
few more years. The extended aging has given it some beeswax character
and softened it a bit. There is no early oxidation or other problems
here.

Ch. La Mission Haut Brion 1978: Only a trace of age shows around rim.
Typical Graves fruit. Plenty of acidity and still some medium tannins.
Not as intense and complex as in the best years, but well above
average.

Eitelsbacher Marienholz Riesling Auslese 1976, Bischofliches Konvikt,
AP Nr. 3561 012 318 77: Light yellow. Considerable old Riesling petrol
character. Not as rich and complex as some of the top 76 auslesen, but
still well above average.

Freemark Abbey Napa Valley Cabernet Bosche 1978: This wine is still
holding very well, but likely needs drinking in the next few years. It
is still well above average and better balanced than many California
wines from the 70s.

Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Domaine de Beaucastel 1967. This was my last
bottle. This wine was a nearly black monster when young. It is still
drinkable, but shows a bit of oxidation. Otherwise it has a fairly
complex and toasty character and there still is tannin. It would still
be quite good, except for the small amount of oxidation showing, and I
do not tolerate much oxidation in red Rhones and northern Italians
reds.

Chateau Haut Batailley 1976: Still holding fairly well, but a bit
faded. There is nothing badly wrong with it, but it is a rather
forgettable wine.

Chalone Vineyard Estate Chardonnay 1992: Some Chardonnays from this
source can age very well for a long time, and this is one of them.
Compared with the best Au Bon Climat Reserves, it has a bit more
mineral character and less grapefruit character.

Charmes Chambertin 1979, Louis Latour.This wine is still holding very
well. There is a mixture of red and black fruit. Louis Latour may not
be at the top of the list for many of his reds, but this wine is well
above average and easy to drink. This was my last bottle.

I had these wine over several weeks and am just now posting notes.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 28, 1:14*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> All of the wines discussed were properly stored by me since shortly
> after release, had good fills, and had no cork or other issues.
>
> Corton-Charlemagne 1992, Domaine Louis Latour: This wine is well
> balanced, very complex, and quite intense. It likely will hold well a
> few more years. The extended aging has given it some beeswax character
> and softened it a bit. There is no early oxidation or other problems
> here.
>
> Ch. La Mission Haut Brion 1978: Only a trace of age shows around rim.
> Typical Graves fruit. Plenty of acidity and still some medium tannins.
> Not as intense and complex as in the best years, but well above
> average.
>
> Eitelsbacher Marienholz Riesling Auslese 1976, Bischofliches Konvikt,
> AP Nr. 3561 012 318 77: Light yellow. Considerable old Riesling petrol
> character. Not as rich and complex as some of the top 76 auslesen, but
> still well above average.
>
> Freemark Abbey Napa Valley Cabernet Bosche 1978: This wine is still
> holding very well, but likely needs drinking in the next few years. It
> is still well above average and better balanced than many California
> wines from the 70s.
>
> Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Domaine de Beaucastel 1967. This was my last
> bottle. This wine was a nearly black monster when young. It is still
> drinkable, but shows a bit of oxidation. Otherwise it has a fairly
> complex and toasty character and there still is tannin. It would still
> be quite good, except for the small amount of oxidation showing, and I
> do not tolerate much oxidation in red Rhones and northern Italians
> reds.
>
> Chateau Haut Batailley 1976: Still holding fairly well, but a bit
> faded. There is nothing badly wrong with it, but it is a rather
> forgettable wine.
>
> Chalone Vineyard Estate Chardonnay 1992: Some Chardonnays from this
> source can age very well for a long time, and this is one of them.
> Compared with the best Au Bon Climat Reserves, it has a bit more
> mineral character and less grapefruit character.
>
> Charmes Chambertin 1979, Louis Latour.This wine is still holding very
> well. There is a mixture of red and black fruit. Louis Latour may not
> be at the top of the list for many of his reds, but this wine is well
> above average and easy to drink. This was my last bottle.
>
> I had these wine over several weeks and am just now posting notes.

Thanks for the notes. I've had a number of 1992 Cal Chards over the
past few years and have found many to be exceptional including the
Chalone.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 28, 1:14*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> All of the wines discussed were properly stored by me since shortly
> after release, had good fills, and had no cork or other issues.
>
> Corton-Charlemagne 1992, Domaine Louis Latour: This wine is well
> balanced, very complex, and quite intense. It likely will hold well a
> few more years. The extended aging has given it some beeswax character
> and softened it a bit. There is no early oxidation or other problems
> here.
>
> Ch. La Mission Haut Brion 1978: Only a trace of age shows around rim.
> Typical Graves fruit. Plenty of acidity and still some medium tannins.
> Not as intense and complex as in the best years, but well above
> average.
>
> Eitelsbacher Marienholz Riesling Auslese 1976, Bischofliches Konvikt,
> AP Nr. 3561 012 318 77: Light yellow. Considerable old Riesling petrol
> character. Not as rich and complex as some of the top 76 auslesen, but
> still well above average.
>
> Freemark Abbey Napa Valley Cabernet Bosche 1978: This wine is still
> holding very well, but likely needs drinking in the next few years. It
> is still well above average and better balanced than many California
> wines from the 70s.
>
> Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Domaine de Beaucastel 1967. This was my last
> bottle. This wine was a nearly black monster when young. It is still
> drinkable, but shows a bit of oxidation. Otherwise it has a fairly
> complex and toasty character and there still is tannin. It would still
> be quite good, except for the small amount of oxidation showing, and I
> do not tolerate much oxidation in red Rhones and northern Italians
> reds.
>
> Chateau Haut Batailley 1976: Still holding fairly well, but a bit
> faded. There is nothing badly wrong with it, but it is a rather
> forgettable wine.
>
> Chalone Vineyard Estate Chardonnay 1992: Some Chardonnays from this
> source can age very well for a long time, and this is one of them.
> Compared with the best Au Bon Climat Reserves, it has a bit more
> mineral character and less grapefruit character.
>
> Charmes Chambertin 1979, Louis Latour.This wine is still holding very
> well. There is a mixture of red and black fruit. Louis Latour may not
> be at the top of the list for many of his reds, but this wine is well
> above average and easy to drink. This was my last bottle.
>
> I had these wine over several weeks and am just now posting notes.

thanks for notes, interesting assortment, and some real rarities!