Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] A Tale of Two Gamays

With the return of Fall weather and our (gradual) recovery from a nasty
early Fall upper respiratory viral infection, a middle aged man's
thoughts turn naturally to game birds, Fall fungi and... Beaujolais.
Thus it was that over the past few nights we've begun to dip into some
recent acquisitions. First, it was:

'09 Damien Coquelet Beaujolais-Villages
which was an appealing color but which smelled and tasted mostly of
Brett. I am not particularly put off by Brett, which to my taste gives
rise to lovely meatiness in wines from the Rhone and an appealing funk
to many a Cote D'Or red, but I must confess that I found its presence in
a Gamay-based wine to be too much for my liking. I must also confess,
though, to having drunk with pleasure quite a few older Breton Morgons
that many others found too Bretty. Its presence in a young Gamay,
somehow, seemed to strike an off note to me, perhaps because it obscured
the appealing fresh fruit that I was expecting to find?

Tonight's offering was the ever-reliable 2009 Pierre Chermette (Vissoux)
Cuvée Traditionnelle VV which hit all right notes, being light on its
feet, fresh, vibrant and -- above all else -- gouleyant in all the right
ways. Hooray for Gamay! Let's celebrate Autumn in all its glory. Bring
on the roasted game birds with fungi!

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default A Tale of Two Gamays

On Oct 14, 12:10*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> With the return of Fall weather and our (gradual) recovery from a nasty
> early Fall upper respiratory viral infection, a middle aged man's
> thoughts turn naturally to game birds, Fall fungi and... Beaujolais.
> Thus it was that over the past few nights we've begun to dip into some
> recent acquisitions. First, it was:
>
> '09 Damien Coquelet Beaujolais-Villages
> which was an appealing color but which smelled and tasted mostly of
> Brett. I am not particularly put off by Brett, which to my taste gives
> rise to lovely meatiness in wines from the Rhone and an appealing funk
> to many a Cote D'Or red, but I must confess that I found its presence in
> a Gamay-based wine to be too much for my liking. I must also confess,
> though, to having drunk with pleasure quite a few older Breton Morgons
> that many others found too Bretty. Its presence in a young Gamay,
> somehow, seemed to strike an off note to me, perhaps because it obscured
> the appealing fresh fruit that I was expecting to find?
>
> Tonight's offering was the ever-reliable 2009 Pierre Chermette (Vissoux)
> Cuv e Traditionnelle VV which hit all right notes, being light on its
> feet, fresh, vibrant and -- above all else -- gouleyant in all the right
> ways. Hooray for Gamay! Let's celebrate Autumn in all its glory. Bring
> on the roasted game birds with fungi!
>
> Mark Lipton

thanks for notes, I'm always a Vssoux buyer, think I will wait to
spend $ on Coquelet