Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: Riesling, Chenin, Syrah, and Falanghina

(sorry if first part is a dupe, I thought I posted yesterday, but not
showing on my readers)

Monday was vegetarian tacos, along with the 2009 Donnhoff Riesling
(Nahe). Initially served too cold (my cellar is just beginning to
creep down from summer high of 65) because I stuck in freezer for 10
minutes, which turned into 25 minutes.
A bit fuller this year, moderate sweetness, good acids, lime and
grapefruit, some mineral. Very pleasant, but not my all time favorite
version of the estate Riesling.. B/B+

Tuesday was a Singpore dish with fresh rice noodles with Chinese
broccoli, shrimp, fish cake, sausage following an appetizer of fried
shrimp wontons. I didn't want Riesling two nights in a row, but wanted
something a little offdry to balance the chiles, sambal olek, etc.
Hey, there's a Chenin off-dry, the 2005 Belleviere "L'Effraie" Coteaux
de Layon. Whoa, I had forgotten how sweet this was (the 2004 was just
off-dry). This could work as a dessert wine. Apples, pine needles,
honey, orange peel. Powerful sweet Chenin, but horrible with the meal
(luckily there was a bit of leftover Donnhoff). Big, sweet, almost hot
though label says 13%. I liked the 2004 much more, next time this goes
with cheese course. But even there could use a little more acidic zip.
B- (D for food match)

Wednesday was chicken with figs, along with kabocha squash with kale
and mustard greens. Cooking wine was a 375 of the 2007 Feudi di San
Gregorio*Falanghina. Could use a little more acid, but clean apple
fruit, nuts and olive oil. OK if a little thin. B-

Usually with the chicken and figs I go white, but we had white several
nights in row, so went downstairs to try an '09 Beaujolais. But walked
upstairs with the Ogier "La Rosine" (Collines Rhodaniennes). I was a
little worried it was past it at first, a bit of a blast of
volatility. But it seemed to calm down, leaving a nice medium bodied
Syrah - meaty, gamy, with dark berry fruit, resolved tannins, moderate
acidity. Not a lot of length, but quite good for the level. B/B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 7, 4:23*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Hey, there's a Chenin off-dry, the 2005 Belleviere "L'Effraie" Coteaux
> de Layon. Whoa, I had forgotten how sweet this was (the 2004 was just
> off-dry). This could work as a dessert wine. Apples, pine needles,
> honey, orange peel. Powerful sweet Chenin, but horrible with the meal
> (luckily there was a bit of leftover Donnhoff). Big, sweet, almost hot
> though label says 13%. I liked the 2004 much more, next time this goes
> with cheese course. But even there could use a little more acidic zip.
> B- (D for food match)

Correction, I misspelled Belliviere