Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Burg, Mendocino, Cava, Nahe

Busy Sunday, I had a speech at a Bedford church before Lucy the
Hound's Birthday tea (the dogs ranged from an 8 lb Havanese to a 130
lb Newfie).
I had a bottle of ESJ Bassetti on hand since I was out of Mulderbosch
Faithful Hound, but we ended up sticking to tea and seltzer, so the
Bassetti lived another day. For dinner Betsy went cross cultural,
with chicken schnitzel over herb salad and fried rice. Wine was the
2004 Schafer-Frohlich Monzinger Halenberg Riesling*Spatlese. Rich
style, mango and other tropical fruit, some balancing acidity. OK, but
softer than I expected- I think of 04 as having good though not
electric acidity. Not as fun as the '07. B

Monday, with fried tofu with lemon and cilantro, leftover fried rice,
and stirfried vegetables, the NV Castellroig Cava Brut. Light, dry,
crisp. A bit of a yeasty note on nose. Not a big cava drinker but
thought this a good value. B

Last night was pork chops with a sage butter, barley, and roasted
veggies (Brussels sprouts, beets, onions, garlic). Wine was the 2008
Indian Creek Pinot Noir (Mendocino). This is the second label of
Navarro, but they bottled the entire run under label due to smoke
taint issues. Fairly bright red fruit, lighter body, good acidity. I
think I get a bit of char/smoke, but how much is there and how much is
my knowledge? In any case it's not really problematic. With about 2
hours of air what was a hint is now more evident. It doesn't really
bother me, and since this was somewhere south of $10 I'm happy with
it. B/B-

Tonight pasta with mushrooms and spinach, and the 2008 Dampt Chablis
(quite replacement for a corked 04 Jadot Meursault). New producer to
me. Good acids, green apple and citrus, snappy, bright. I'd like a
little more mineral/chalk on finish, but nice. B/B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*