FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: CA PG, white Burg, Loire rose, Wachau GV (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/399588-tn-ca-pg-white.html)

DaleW 12-08-2010 08:32 PM

TN: CA PG, white Burg, Loire rose, Wachau GV

Betsy in NH for concerts, but Dave is back so I don't have to usually
eat alone. Tuesday was Cornish game hens spiced with cumin and a bit
of Szechuan pepper, snow peas, and salad. Wine was the 2007 Domaine
Ferret Pouilly-Fuisse, a fairly big fleshy PF. White fruits,
butterscotch, nice mineral finish, just a hint of oak. B/B+

Wednesday I met friends at the park, bearing a "garbage" pasta salad
(using up every partial veg in fridge, plus chevre and olives),
salami, and wine. Shared with others on a pretty night while listening
to excellent jazz (Stryker-Slagle band).

2008 Donabaum "Spitzer Point" Gruner Veltliner Federspiel*
I always pick up Winemonger wines when I see them, but this showed a
different importer. In any case, I've always liked Donabaum, and this
is no exception. White nectarine and citrus, sweet pea, wet rocks.
Fresh, zippy, yet with a nice creamy texture, a hit all around. B+

2008 Tutu Pinot Grigio
(this was definitely California, but not sure if a specific
appelation). Dolores said it got an over 90 Parker score. I can see
why- this is a big fruitbomb of a PG, honeydew and figs, not my style,
but clean. B-/C+

2009 Guion Rose (VdTable de France)
OK, this isn't a "serious" rose, but just what I want on a hot day.
Very light, buoyant acidity, pretty strawberry fruit with just a hint
of sweetness. Light herbal notes dance in the background, $11 well
spent. B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**

Michael Pronay[_2_] 13-08-2010 05:44 PM

DaleW wrote:

> 2008 Donabaum "Spitzer Point" Gruner Veltliner Federspiel˙
> I always pick up Winemonger wines when I see them, but this
> showed a different importer.

Note that there is more than one Donabaum bottling wines in the
region. Maybe this was not the one Emily imports.

M.

DaleW 14-08-2010 12:39 AM

On Aug 13, 12:44*pm, Michael Pronay > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > 2008 Donabaum "Spitzer Point" Gruner Veltliner *Federspiel˙
> > I always pick up Winemonger wines when I see them, but this
> > showed a different importer.

> Note that there is more than one Donabaum bottling wines in the
> region. Maybe this was not the one Emily imports.
>
> M.

Thanks Michael, as aBurg guy I thought of that, but this was Johann,
the previous bottles I've bought (02-07 Smaragds) definitely were
Emily imports, this said "A Monika Cana selection" and was brought in
by Wildman.
I should have noted Johann's name in any case