FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Wines in GA and NY (Chard, PN, BdM, bubbly) (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/399082-tn-wines-ga-ny.html)

DaleW 27-07-2010 02:01 PM

TN: Wines in GA and NY (Chard, PN, BdM, bubbly)

Friday we headed to Atlanta, making an unplanned stop in Macon (which
doesn't appear to have commercial service!) but eventually arriving
very late. A quick visit to my mom in hospital, then a Whopper at
midnight, sans vino. Saturday we had dinner with my dad, I grilled
some beef tenderloin and squash while Betsy prepared green beans and
tomatoes, we opened the 2008*A to Z Pinot Noir (Oregon). Pleasant,
light, innocuous, nothing to see here folks move along. B-/C+

Sunday night we visited at my brother's, he had us order in from club,
and gave me a tour of his new wine room. He's not a geek, but is on a
couple of lists, and so far his cellar is primarily Kistler and
Benovia. I was having meatloaf, but told him I was only having a
glass, so he opened a Chardonnay since that's what my SiL prefers. The
2006 Kistler "Vine Cliff" Chardonnay is a big wine, sweet tropical
fruit surrounded by lots of new oak. Creamy, sweet, this is a bit much
for me, though it is possible the oak will integrate with time. B- for
now

Monday we flew back (couple legs), I went to work for a bit, and then
home to walk with hound to some friends' for dinner. Baba ganoush,
broiled tomatoes, pasta with pesto, chicken, salad. And some wine:

2004 Domaine Carneros Brut
I'm not a big fan of CA bubbly, but this was crisp and refreshing-
apples and citrus, a hint of unbaked dough, lively. Not very long or
complex, but a nice summer apertif. B

2007 Roulot Bourgogne
Really showing like a nice Meursault, broad white fruit with hazelnut
and damp earth, good acidity to balance, nice length. B+

1998 Casisano Colombaio*Brunello*di Montalcino
Soft, easygoing, maybe resembling a maturing CCR from a ripe vintage
more than a BdM. Red fruit, leather, a hint of sweat. Pleasant. B/B-

Nice to be home with good friends and good dogs.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**

Mark Lipton[_1_] 01-08-2010 03:43 AM

TN: Wines in GA and NY (Chard, PN, BdM, bubbly)

Dale,
I know what you mean about the Kistler Chard: those that I've had have
been among the oakiest wines I've ever tasted with a very sweet
character to them.

I hope that your mother is doing better.

Mark Lipton

DaleW 02-08-2010 04:17 PM

On Jul 31, 10:43*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Dale,
> * I know what you mean about the Kistler Chard: those that I've had have
> *been among the oakiest wines I've ever tasted with a very sweet
> character to them.
>
> I hope that your mother is doing better.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I've actually enjoyed other Kistlers as an apertif, always big but not
as oak dominated from memory/
We'll find out more about my mom later today, but it's ovarian cancer
so not good. Thanks to you and those that expressed kind thoughts in
an earlier thread.