Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Bocce Wines

Notes from a garden/bocce afternoon, a pot luck where anything goes:

Bailly Lapierre Cremant de Bourgogne Exception Nature – pleasant nose,
good bubble, light and pleasant.

1999 Jakoby-Mathy Kinheimer Rosenberg Riesling Kabinett – a real
pronounced petrol nose on this, the wine crisp clean and refreshing

2006 Zind Humbrecht ‘Zind’ – a chardonnay pinot auxerois blend, this
wine has never impressed me, and it didn’t start now. Grassy nose,
indeterminate blend, so-so.

2009 Blue Mountain Pinot Noir – I opened a case just for fun, as I
hadn’t yet tried this. Sappy nose, lovely Beaujolais sort of colour,
good fruit, soft tannin. Good now, but will be fine over a 5 year
haul.

2004 Dom. de l’Oratoire Cairanne Haut Coustias – anise and berries in
the nose of this dark wine, and lots of acidity.

2005 Voges St. Peray Fleur de Crussol – I always like this Marsanne
based wine. Showing some colour and an interesting nose of lime and
melon, there was lots going on on palate here. Nice smooth finish.

2006 Dom. des Amouriers 'Cuvee Signature' Vacqueyras – with a
proprietor by the name of Chudzikiewicz one might expect a non-
traditional wine, but this was excellent – a little tar, a lot of red
fruit, smooth and juicy in the mouth, drink now or over the next few
years.

2007 Dom. du Cristia Cotes du Rhone – another tasty one with black
olive and excellent fruit, some tannin, but drinking at peak now
(haven’t yet started on the 2008) – excellent garden wine.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 07/05/2010 12:21 AM, Bill S. wrote:
> 2006 Dom. des Amouriers 'Cuvee Signature' Vacqueyras – with a
> proprietor by the name of Chudzikiewicz one might expect a non-
> traditional wine, but this was excellent – a little tar, a lot of red
> fruit, smooth and juicy in the mouth, drink now or over the next few
> years.

Hi Bill,

Jocelyn Chudzikiewicz was a gentleman, a very nice man and a talented
and respected winemaker. He was one of the innovators in Vacqueyras and
it would not be unfair to say that his efforts made a large contribution
towards Vacqueyras receiving the AOC. (He was president of the Vacqu.
interprofessional wine association.) His death in 1997 in a car accident
was a shock to everyone who knew him. We tasted with him some months
before his accident and had had the pleasure of several encounters.

I don't think there was much of a change in the domaine following his
death, though I only had an extensive tasting during what may have been
a confusing transition. Apparently Jocelyn's son Igor is also now
involved. Glad to here the wines are back on track. The domaine
actually suffered significant damage, we were told, in the rains and
floods of 1992.

I must say I'm a bit bemused that Jocelyn's name, however respected, is
still on the label 13 years after his death.

-E

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 4, 6:21*pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
> Notes from a garden/bocce afternoon, a pot luck where anything goes:
>
> Bailly Lapierre Cremant de Bourgogne Exception Nature – pleasant nose,
> good bubble, light and pleasant.
>
> 1999 Jakoby-Mathy Kinheimer Rosenberg Riesling Kabinett – a real
> pronounced petrol nose on this, the wine crisp clean and refreshing
>
> 2006 Zind Humbrecht ‘Zind’ – a chardonnay pinot auxerois blend, this
> wine has never impressed me, and it didn’t start now. Grassy nose,
> indeterminate blend, so-so.
>
> 2009 Blue Mountain Pinot Noir – I opened a case just for fun, as I
> hadn’t yet tried this. *Sappy nose, lovely Beaujolais sort of colour,
> good fruit, soft tannin. Good now, but will be fine over a 5 year
> haul.
>
> 2004 Dom. de l’Oratoire Cairanne Haut Coustias – anise and berries in
> the nose of this dark wine, and lots of acidity.
>
> 2005 Voges St. Peray Fleur de Crussol – I always like this Marsanne
> based wine. Showing some colour and an interesting nose of lime and
> melon, there was lots going on on palate here. Nice smooth finish.
>
> 2006 Dom. des Amouriers 'Cuvee Signature' Vacqueyras – with a
> proprietor by the name of Chudzikiewicz one might expect a non-
> traditional wine, but this was excellent – a little tar, a lot of red
> fruit, smooth and juicy in the mouth, drink now or over the next few
> years.
>
> 2007 Dom. du Cristia Cotes du Rhone – another tasty one with black
> olive and excellent fruit, some tannin, but drinking at peak now
> (haven’t yet started on the 2008) – excellent garden wine.

Thanks for notes. Years ago ZH tried bottling the Chardonnay
separately, till the authorities busted him,. But the wine was always
great for blinding people if wrapped- who guesses CHardonnay from a
flute bottle? But never great for me. I think the Zind is VdT due to
use of Chardonnay.
Posted to alt.food.wine

EWmery - thanks for the info on the Vacqueyras! I'll be over there in
the Fall and maybe I'll try a visit.

Dale - agree about the Zind - and wonder why they bother. If you
need a cheap blend, the Hugel Gentil or any number of others appeal
to me more.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Had a bocce wine last week (I don't play myself, but was at Crane Park
in Saint Helena with friends) that's worth mentioning - Myriad 2008
Georges III Cab Sauv, Simply delicious in a big mid-Valley way,

Dana

Rhones and Bocce Bill S. Wine 0 30-09-2012 06:24 PM
Bocce Wine in the Garden Bill S. Wine 0 11-09-2012 05:05 PM
Rhones with Bocce Bill S. Wine 1 11-10-2009 05:42 PM
Bocce Wines Bill S. Wine 5 21-07-2009 08:41 PM
Bocce and Beaucastel Bill S. Wine 3 15-04-2009 07:39 PM