Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Wines al fresco, mostly rose, plus a Volnay, Marsannay white,Bandol red, etc

Couple gorgeous nights on patio. Thursday night I cut a rack into
double chops, did a quick herb marinade, and then grilled along with
some squash, combined with salad and the 2005 Domaine & Selection
Volnay. This was $15 bought by case, so not expecting a dream Volnay.
Even so, first sniff/sip is a bit of a disappointment- comes across as
acrid and shrill. But It seems to transform and fill out with just a
few minutes of air. Black cherry fruit, a little herb, cocoa. It's a
solid wine, with medium acids and some backend tannins, but a tad
short on both length and elegance for a Volnay from a good vintage.
OK, so yeah I'd rather drink Lafarge's Bourgogne, but that's not $15
any longer, and at the price this isn't a bad sip of Pinot. Dave has
some Friday night, and I have a sample sniff, holds up well. B

Friday Dave's girlfriend joined us for dinner, I steamed some cheapo
lobsters. grilled some corn, made salad, and opened the 2006 Louis
Jadot Marsannay blanc. Very ripe pear fruit, some oak/vanilla notes,
lacking in verve, just a bit on the flabby side. Not a buy again for
me. B-/C+

I only ate tail and smaller claw of my lobster, saving some room for
snacks at wine group meeting later in evening. I didn't save enough
room, as Roger served at least 5 kinds of sausage, as well beef,
chicken, and grilled veggies. Agreement is supposed to be we just do
grazing food (cheese, hummus, charcuterie); he has raised bar. But it
was fun sitting out by grill and sampling his fare as we tasted roses
blind:

actually, first we had a non-blind pink bubbly, the Bernard Bremont
Champagne Rose, but I've written enough notes on this, suffice to say
it was my WOTN.

Wine #1
Pale color, but nice midweight on palate, floral nose, pretty
strawberry fruit. I quickly guess Provence, but not exactly the
hardest call. Alex said he picked up because he find Les Baux (as a
town) so spectacular, but then realized one of the winemakers was a
distant cousin of his. 2009 Mas de la Dame (Les Baux de Provence). B/B
+

Wine #2
Much darker color, my guess is Italian, wrong. Solid weight, sweet
fruit, a bulkier wine that some really like, but I find it well made
but not what I'm really looking for in rose. 2009 CastellRoig Rosado
(Penedes).B-

Wine #3
2009 Lancyre (Pic st Loup)
I'm back in south of France on this one. Herbs, strawberries,
watermelon, nice pretty enjoyable wine. B

Wine #4
No guesses from me, my wine. No one comes close, fun to come from left
field sometimes. Actually very good, floral nose with raspberry and
strawberry fruit, light, good acids, surprising depth. First time I've
ever sprung a Greek wine on group! 2009 Spiropoulos "Meliasto" Rose
(100% Moschofilero from label). B

Wine #5
Cherries, strawberries, orange zest. Bigger than most of preceding
wines. My first though is Sancerre rose, but then I see bottle is
flute. Do they make rose in Alsace, I know they have PN. Nope,
American. 2009 Robert Sinskey Rose of Pinot Noir. B

Wine #6
Pale, light bodied, quiet strawberry/cranberry fruit, herbs, a little
dilute. Others like more than I do, though I do correctly get
Provence. 2009 Ch.
Montaud (Cotes de Provence). B-/C+

Fred has brought a bottle of red, too. Also blind. Whew, some poopy
aromas. Earthy, road tar and rubber, red and black fruits. Fred said
I've have before, I wonder is this what happens to the Rimbert St
Chinian with age, he says no. I'm next guessing Grenache/Mourvedre,
maybe a CdP. No, it's the 2005 Le Galantin Bandol. I've had earlier
vintages, don't remember as much funk/brett. B-/C+

Fun night, even if I am occasionally lost in some of the World Cup
talk (group is mostly European).

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*