Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Frothy fun, nice Dolcetto, dull rose, good Spatlese, etc

Saturday we loaded up the dog and went to visit friends for dinner. 3
couples (with bbq chicken, corn, cucumber/dill soup, salad), 2 dogs
(with big marrow bones), and a couple of wines:

NV Renardat-Fache Bugey Cerdon
It's usual fun self. Low alcohol, lightly sweet, crisp, refreshing.
Strawberry pop for adults. B/B+

2007 Giovanni Rosso "Le Quattro Vigne" Dolcetto d'Alba
Friendly, fruit forward, rich plum and black cherry fruit, low acids,
some tannins on bad end. Very pleasant and easy to appreciate wine. B

Really lovely night, great food, a little wine, nice company.

So Dave made great fish tacos for lunch today, but when we went to an
afternoon high school graduation party for daughter of some good
friends, I still made room to try some ribs, sausage, salads, and raw
oysters. A 6 piece mariachi band played, and I did sample a few wines,
though it was hot as hell and I mostly drank mineral water:

2006 Ch. Magence (Graves)
Reasonably clean white Bordeaux, could use a bit more acidic zip. B-

2009 Chateau de la Chesnaie Muscadet
A bit more lively, apple fruit with a briney edge, it's not Pepiere
but it works on a hot day. B/B-

2008 Relais de la Cavalier rose (Cotes de Provence)
First one I taste is corked (I tell Alex and he quickly pulls and gets
out more). Replacement is a tad sluggish, strawberry and red cherry,
needs verve and depth. Maybe better last year. C+

I should note that the host/father, knowing he had a busy workweek,
had ordered 4 cases of wine recommended by an ITB friend, and only
realized late Saturday it had never come. The above wines came from a
last minute panic trip to the wine store at Stew Leonards. There was
also a tasty bottle of 2007 Drouhin St. Veran I brought, but I just
took a sip to ensure it was correct, when I went back it was drained.
There were also red Bordeaux opened, but I didn't have the heart in
the heat to even try.

Home to do some chores, we eventually had leftover wheatberry/feta
salad for dinner,with the 1991 Zilliken (Forstmeister Geltz)
Saarberger Rausch Spatlese. High acids, light, I'd have guessed
kabinett blind. Floral/petrol nose, on the palate green apples, lime,
peach, a bit of slate. Other than the petrol notes showing as quite
young. Nice, should hold well, but not really coming across as
especially complex. B