Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Usseglio

I grilled lamb racks last night with new potatoes and fresh green
beans. I found a bottle of 1998 Usseglio CNP Cuvee de Mon Aieul that
a friend gifted to me a few weeks ago. The wine was reddish purple in
the glass with a faint hint of brick. Fairly tight nose of
blueberries and sage. Plummy on the palate with a richness and
intensity that I wasn't ready for. Lots of layers of red and black
fruits, mineral notes a bit of beef blood and a faint herbal note.
The wine kept building as I tasted it and by the end of the bottle it
was really singing. "A"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 13, 9:47*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I grilled lamb racks last night with new potatoes and fresh green
> beans. *I found a bottle of 1998 Usseglio CNP Cuvee de Mon Aieul that
> a friend gifted to me a few weeks ago. *The wine was reddish purple in
> the glass with a faint hint of brick. *Fairly tight nose of
> blueberries and sage. *Plummy on the palate with a richness and
> intensity that I wasn't ready for. *Lots of layers of red and black
> fruits, mineral notes a bit of beef blood and a faint herbal note.
> The wine kept building as I tasted it and by the end of the bottle it
> was really singing. *"A"

thanks for notes, nice gift! I enjoyed the regular P. Usselglio 98,
but they're all gone.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 13, 2:21*pm, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> On 13/06/2010 15:47, Bi!! wrote:
>
> > I grilled lamb racks last night with new potatoes and fresh green
> > beans. *I found a bottle of 1998 Usseglio CNP Cuvee de Mon Aieul that
> > a friend gifted to me a few weeks ago. *The wine was reddish purple in
> > the glass with a faint hint of brick. *Fairly tight nose of
> > blueberries and sage. *Plummy on the palate with a richness and
> > intensity that I wasn't ready for. *Lots of layers of red and black
> > fruits, mineral notes a bit of beef blood and a faint herbal note.
> > The wine kept building as I tasted it and by the end of the bottle it
> > was really singing. *"A"

> Yes this is the top cuvee, I hae tasted more recent vintages and they
> are very good.
>
> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail

A friend had brought it to my farm a few weeks ago to share with
dinner. I had no idea what he had brought as we had too many wines
that particular evening and the Usseglio didn't get opened and
apparantly he stuck it in my under counter storage unit. I sent my 21
year old son to pull a bottle of CNP ( I had recently purchased some
Janesse from recent vintages) and he returned with the opened bottle
of Usseglio. Yikes!