Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Mothers Day wines - Piedmont, Chablis, California Syrah and Chard

Mother's Day was cool and windy in NY. After the ceremonial breakfast
and presentation of cookbooks, we did chores until we all went to a
party at David's bosses' home. They're great professional bakers, but
their cooking is serious too! Fantastic grilled pizzas, chicken,
salmon, a sausage frittata, and assorted salads. The wines were mostly
Italian, I missed producer on a ok Langhe in a decanter, but did try:

2005 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco
Surprisingly forward and open, ripe and easy, some tannins but not at
all austere. Red fruits, tar, nice length. B+

2005 Dardano Barbaresco
Lighter, fresh acidity, low tannins, pleasant but a Barberesco on
training wheels. B-

2003 Pomona Monferrato
Not sure of the blend , cassis (cab?) and black cherry, a hint of bell
pepper, good acidity, some sturdy tannins. This could go a while. B/B+

We had to leave as Betsy needed to go to city, while she was out I
dropped off some cheapie Syrah I was splitting with a friend, he
opened a bottle. 2007 Rosenblum "Vintner's Cuvee" Syrah isn't really
serious, but at a little over $7/bottle it was a good deal. Ripe,
juicy, blackberries and plums, sweet with a bit of vanilla, low acid,
modest tannins. Not what I typically drink, but a good party wine at
the price. B-

I stopped at Stews for cheap lobsters, and steamed for dinner along
with asparagus, corn, and a mache salad. Hey, maybe this is the time
for a big buttery domestic Chardonnay. I had recently unearthed a
bottle of the
2001 Chateau Burbank Chardonnay Reserve (Santa Barbara), a pre-
commercial prototype for a garage Chard that I believe never was
actually distributed- it was a gift from Tom S,. who used to post
here. Quite lively, big, and with the expected butter and vanilla
toast notes. I'm a bit surprised at the fruit profile - vividly sweet
pineapple juice. This is a pretty good apertif, but I'm having
trouble imagining it with the lobster. B

So I go with the backup, the 2008 Savary "Fourchaume" Chablis 1er.
I've liked Savary in the past, but distribution (it's a Kermit) in
East seems limited. But recently this was under $30 at Cinderella,
with free shipping. Green apple, grapefruit, and wet stones. Nice
midweight, good acidity and good concentration/length. Solid classic
Chablis. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**