Posted to alt.food.wine

Default May Lunch Notes

May lunch notes

2007 Dobbes Willamette Pinot Gris – went rattling about the houses
trying to place this one. A slightly green soft creamy nose, nice and
crisp on palate.

2007 Puffeney Arbois Cuvee les Berangeres – a Jura wine made from
Trousseau grape, this was definitely a Jenise ‘gotcha’. Medium
colour, cranberries showing up on palate, a tad of heat, very pleasant
and kept on changing in the glass. Jenise – no more Puff-daddy wines
– unfair! This grape is also called, (no doubt after people that
spring it on unsuspecting blind tasting) *******o. It makes its way
into Port as well.

1999 Castello della Paneretta Quattrocentenario – this 100% sangiovese
based Tuscan IGT wine was big and dark, with only average acidity and
full in the mouth, so it took awhile to get around to sangio. Super-
sangio? Big slightly earthy blackberry nose and a nice full mouth
feel all the way through the lengthy finish.

1983 Chasse Spleen – showing so well it was about the last of the 80s
vintages we tried. Fairly dark, classic claret nose, not much tannin
left, sweet entry and supple wine. Many much bigger names could do so
well in this vintage.

1978 Clos du Val Cabernet – these cabs from the 70s and 80s were
killer value, and I’m not sure what happened to them in more recent
years. I was always a follower of Portet and never failed to stop here
when down racing in California, to add a few bottles for the cellar on
the way home. Still fairly dark, sweet in the nose, cocoa coming in on
palate and a decent length. Much better shape that I’d have thought
at this age.

2000 Alter Ego - this is Palmer’s second label, but unlike many
seconds, this is quite good. Still pretty tight, with excellent colour
and nose, bright with some spice, warm smooth finish with softening
tannins.

2006 Fordori Granato – OK, pulling out a *******o was one thing, but a
Teroldego Rotaliano in the same tasting? A ton of stuff happening in
this wine, the nose sweet and a little candied red fruit, tannin
evident, and while it had decent fruit, I found it just a little
hollow in the middle, finishing with a fair bit of acidity.

1991 Ch. Montelena Estate – first bottle of this I’ve opened and I’m
glad I waited. The nose was a bit restrained until it aired quite a
bit, but it then showed some wood and some plum. Dark wine with edges
not lightening a bit yet, sweet entry, smooth and long in the mouth,
with impressive power but also an elegance lacking in many Napa Cabs.
Excellent and the next bottle will wait a couple of years. This is
the reason I used to buy and cellar California cabs!

1998 St. Hallets The Reward – as soon as I dipped my nose into this
wine, I went for Australia, and as soon as I tasted it, I went for
1998 cab, but I didn’t get the producer. Sweet warm dark wine with
mint and eucalyptus in the nose, along with dark cherries and cocoa.
Good length, and a good place to have put this wine.

Casal dos Jordoes 10 Year Tawny Port – browning colour, Port nose –
little doubt it was a Tawny, though I thought it could have been a 20
year. Long persistent finish

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 9, 12:02*pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
> [...]
> glad I waited. The nose was a bit restrained until it aired quite a
> bit, but it then showed some wood and some plum. *Dark wine with edges
> not lightening a bit yet, sweet entry, smooth and long in the mouth,
> with impressive power but also an elegance lacking in many Napa Cabs.
> Excellent and the next bottle will wait a couple of years. *This is
> the reason I used to buy and cellar California cabs!
>
> 1998 St. Hallets The Reward – as soon as I dipped my nose into this
> wine, I went for Australia, and as soon as I tasted it, I went for
> 1998 cab, but I didn’t get the producer. *Sweet warm dark wine with
> mint and eucalyptus in the nose, along with dark cherries and cocoa.
> Good length, and a good place to have put this wine.
>
> Casal dos Jordoes 10 Year Tawny Port – browning colour, Port nose –
> little doubt it was a Tawny, though I thought it could have been a 20

Clos du Val made outstanding wines in their beginning but the quality
dropped over time.

More Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 0 20-06-2012 03:34 AM
Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 0 03-06-2012 06:25 PM
Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 2 28-02-2005 02:25 AM
Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 14 12-09-2004 09:46 PM
Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 1 30-11-2003 12:00 PM