Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1982 Mouton breathing advice

A while back, I posted about my quandary with a certain restaurant where
I planned to go to celebrate a 50th anniversary with my bottle of 1982
Mouton. There were some thoughtful responses, which I appreciate.

Not having made a final decision, one question may help me choose.
How long should the bottle of 1982 Mouton be opened to breathe?
I look forward to your knowledgeable responses.

Thanks,

Godzilla
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 5, 4:57*pm, Godzilla > wrote:
> A while back, I posted about my quandary with a certain restaurant where
> I planned to go to celebrate a 50th anniversary with my bottle of 1982
> Mouton. There were some thoughtful responses, which I appreciate.
>
> Not having made a final decision, one question may help me choose.
> How long should the bottle of 1982 Mouton be opened to breathe?
> I look forward to your knowledgeable responses.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Godzilla

You could check it out at Cellartracker - some people post what they
did.
It's a big wine. I know lots of people would suggest multi-hour decant
(like 4-8), but I'd rather err on side of caution. .Do I remember
you're taking to a restaurant? Personally, if it were me, I'd
probably decant 2-3 hours before dinner. If it seems open, gently
complete the double decant (back to bottle). If not, let it sit till
ready to leave. But that's seat of pants guessing.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Godzilla" > wrote in message
>A while back, I posted about my quandary with a certain restaurant where
> I planned to go to celebrate a 50th anniversary with my bottle of 1982
> Mouton. There were some thoughtful responses, which I appreciate.
>
> Not having made a final decision, one question may help me choose.
> How long should the bottle of 1982 Mouton be opened to breathe?
> I look forward to your knowledgeable responses.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Godzilla

If you are familiar with the wine person at the restaurant why not deliver
the bottle early and let him/her start the process?

Lew

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 05 May 2010 19:28:36 -0700, DaleW wrote:

> On May 5, 4:57Â*pm, Godzilla > wrote:
>> A while back, I posted about my quandary with a certain restaurant
>> where I planned to go to celebrate a 50th anniversary with my bottle of
>> 1982 Mouton. There were some thoughtful responses, which I appreciate.
>>
>> Not having made a final decision, one question may help me choose. How
>> long should the bottle of 1982 Mouton be opened to breathe? I look
>> forward to your knowledgeable responses.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Godzilla

> You could check it out at Cellartracker - some people post what they
> did.
> It's a big wine. I know lots of people would suggest multi-hour decant
> (like 4-8), but I'd rather err on side of caution. .Do I remember you're
> taking to a restaurant? Personally, if it were me, I'd probably decant
> 2-3 hours before dinner. If it seems open, gently complete the double
> decant (back to bottle). If not, let it sit till ready to leave. But
> that's seat of pants guessing.

I had not known about Cellar Tracker. Thanks for the link. After going
there, one discovers that if you ask ten people what is optimum you are
liable to get twenty answers. ;-)

Nevertheless, when dealing with something that is a precious commodity
that I could never afford on my own, it is sounding provident to save it
a while longer and consume it at home where I can control the variables
of decanting without shaking up the sediment in an auto ride.

No decision yet, but I do appreciate all input.

Godzilla
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 6, 8:56*am, Godzilla > wrote:
> On Wed, 05 May 2010 19:28:36 -0700, DaleW wrote:
> > On May 5, 4:57*pm, Godzilla > wrote:
> >> A while back, I posted about my quandary with a certain restaurant
> >> where I planned to go to celebrate a 50th anniversary with my bottle of
> >> 1982 Mouton. There were some thoughtful responses, which I appreciate.

> >> Not having made a final decision, one question may help me choose. How
> >> long should the bottle of 1982 Mouton be opened to breathe? I look
> >> forward to your knowledgeable responses.

> >> Thanks,

> >> Godzilla

> > You could check it out at Cellartracker - some people post what they
> > did.
> > It's a big wine. I know lots of people would suggest multi-hour decant
> > (like 4-8), but I'd rather err on side of caution. .Do I remember you're
> > taking to a restaurant? *Personally, if it were me, I'd probably decant
> > 2-3 hours before dinner. If it seems open, gently complete the double
> > decant (back to bottle). If not, let it sit till ready to leave. But
> > that's seat of pants guessing.

> I had not known about Cellar Tracker. Thanks for the link. After going
> there, one discovers that if you ask ten people what is optimum you are
> liable to get twenty answers. ;-)
>
> Nevertheless, when dealing with something that is a precious commodity
> that I could never afford on my own, it is sounding provident to save it
> a while longer and consume it at home where I can control the variables
> of decanting without shaking up the sediment in an auto ride.
>
> No decision yet, but I do appreciate all input.
>
> Godzilla

Indeed, different strategies, but I think general agreement that there
should be some serious decanting time.
Kind of bottle I'd prefer to observe over 8 hours rather than 2.
Enjoy your meal no matter what you drink, and enjoy your Mouton no
matter when you drink it!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Some three years ago I and friends had a Mouton -82 along with Latour -70,
Margaux -78 and Palmer
-78 among others.
The Mouton was opened 4 hours in advance but not decanted. It was excellent
at start but became a lot more impressive during the evening.
I'd suggest decanting 3 hours ahead of serving.

Btw, the WOTN of the above tasting was a Ch. Montelena of a far younger
vintage...1999 or so (notes lost) (my winner was the Mouton, ahead of the
Latour and then Montelena)

Anders

1982 Mouton Rothschild Godzilla Lizard Wine 10 19-04-2010 12:58 PM
Mouton Rothschild 1982 Jonathan Wine 17 15-04-2005 01:43 PM
Breathing and vapors Michael Scarpitti Wine 136 13-09-2004 06:51 AM
FS: 1982 Don't Eat Your Heart Out Cookbook SC 1982 katie-mae Marketplace 0 28-05-2004 05:29 PM
Breathing better the herbal way barwha Preserving 3 04-05-2004 04:59 PM