Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Italian Notes

Piemonte notes

2008 Ettore Germano Herzu Riesling – yes, a Riesling made in Piemonte,
labelled as a Langhe. Zero varietal character, but with pretty good
fruit in the nose, mostly melon, and a slight spritz we were pretty
sure they hadn’t intended. Fairly good acid. Pleasant.

2001 Giacosa Barbaresco Asili – quite light in colour, good nose with
fruit and tar, forward on palate but with lots of tannin and a long
way to go. This wine is still rather primary but it is nice to get a
look early on. Should have a good life ahead.

1997 Clerico Arte – an international style of wine still made mostly
of Nebbiolo, but with a dash of barbera and often a bit of cabernet
and aged in new French oak. This was not decanted and needed some
time to open upo. When it did, it shifted from nothing but wet stone
in the nose to a decent sweet fruit and vanilla nose. Good fruit on
palate and still lots of tannin. I like this style. One taster
commented he thought we’d tried the 97 before and it has showed
better. Checked my notes and see we tried a 98 last Fall. Really
should do a vertical.

2007 Elio Grasso Barbera Vigna Martino – Very, very young. Bit light
on interest in the nose, medium weight, modern style, some oak toward
the end. The fruit isn’t lavish, but is adequate. Reasonably tasty
wine, but I was left wondering where this was going. Not a
traditional wine.

1997 Ceretto Zonchera Barolo – I have been less than delighted with
some of these wines in the past, but this one showed a very nice
mature nose with a little mocha, smooth entry, decent fruit, and lots
of softy tannin. Not a bad showing.

1982 Michele Chiarlo Barolo Vigna Riondo – a killer anise and leather
nose, mature and mellow on palate, still holding good colour, and very
good length. Great aromatics in this wine made you want to sit and
smell it!

1998 Corino Barolo Vecchio Vigne – dark wine with black cherry and
leather in the nose, smooth but still somewhat tannic in the mouth but
drinking well now. My ears perked up when I saw this one as we don’t
see it that often and I have a half case of the 1997 Vigna Giachini
sleeping in the cellar.

1982 Ceretto Barolo Bricco Roche Brunate – interesting nose that was
characterized as fenugreek, which I suppose I can agree with, but
wouldn’t insist on as I rarely cook with fenugreek aside from the
occasional seafood curry. Also a bit of Burgundian pong to this nose
and in fact the nose was very Pinot like, with just a hint of
something metallic. Lightening colour, ready now.

1997 Manzone Barolo La Gremolare – again, I took an interest when I
found out what this was as I have the 93 and 94 vintages (these seem
neglected these days, but very serviceable vintages they have been!).
Excellent fruit in the nose, mostly cherries again, sweet entry,
supple wine with smooth medium length finish. Tasty.

2009 La Stella Moscato d’Osoyoos – a BC made Moscato with 9.5% alcohol
(I tasted this from tank and would have stopped fermentation at 5.5 or
6%). Lively varietal nose reasonably dry finish.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 5, 9:17*am, "Bill S." > wrote:
> [...]
> characterized as fenugreek, which I suppose I can agree with, but
> wouldn’t insist on as I rarely cook with fenugreek aside from the
> occasional seafood curry. Also a bit of Burgundian pong to this nose
> and in fact the nose was very Pinot like, with just a hint of
> something metallic. *Lightening colour, ready now.
>
> 1997 Manzone Barolo La Gremolare – again, I took an interest when I
> found out what this was as I have the 93 and 94 vintages (these seem
> neglected these days, but very serviceable vintages they have been!).
> Excellent fruit in the nose, mostly cherries again, sweet entry,
> supple wine with smooth medium length finish. *Tasty.
>
> 2009 La Stella Moscato d’Osoyoos – a BC made Moscato with 9.5% alcohol
> (I tasted this from tank and would have stopped fermentation at 5.5 or
> 6%). Lively varietal nose reasonably dry finish.

Thanks for the great notes. I have the same experience with the 1997
Ceretto Zonchera. I opened one recently and was pleasantly surprised.

Italian Notes Bill S. Wine 0 17-09-2011 08:13 PM
Italian Notes Bill S. Wine 1 02-03-2009 07:33 AM
Italian Notes Bill S. Wine 0 21-02-2009 05:34 PM
Italian Notes Bill S. Wine 2 27-08-2007 04:51 PM
Italian Notes Bill Spohn Wine 2 19-04-2004 06:02 AM