Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Drouhin St Veran, Voge Cornas

Last night, with a light dinner of soup and bread, I opened:

2008 Joseph Drouhin St. Veran
nose: initially, burnt matchstick and toast; with time, showing mineral,
lemon and tart apple
palate: medium body, modestly oaky, firmly acidic

I'd purchased this wine for a party for our students, then failed to
open it until last night. It started out too cold at fridge temp, but
became far more appealing after warming to cellar temperature. Not as
deeply fruited as the '07, but still a good QPR Chardonnay. $17
purchased locally.

Tonight, with BBQ ribs, cole slaw, beans and beans, Jean requested a N
Rhone Syrah, so I came back with:

2000 Alain Voge Cornas "Vielles Vignes"
nose: dark berry fruit, smoked meat, stones
palate: medium body, fully resolved tannins, acidity

This wine had also been purchased locally a few years ago, and CT notes
indicated that it was probably ready to go. Indeed, this wine seems
unlikely to get any better than it is today, though it will probably
develop more tertiary characteristics with more bottle age. Very, very
good Cornas, if not quite up to the level of Verset or Clape. Not a
great match with the BBQ, either.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Drouhin St Veran, Voge Cornas

On May 1, 11:57*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Last night, with a light dinner of soup and bread, I opened:
>
> 2008 Joseph Drouhin St. Veran
> nose: initially, burnt matchstick and toast; with time, showing mineral,
> lemon and tart apple
> palate: medium body, modestly oaky, firmly acidic
>
> I'd purchased this wine for a party for our students, then failed to
> open it until last night. *It started out too cold at fridge temp, but
> became far more appealing after warming to cellar temperature. *Not as
> deeply fruited as the '07, but still a good QPR Chardonnay. *$17
> purchased locally.
>
> Tonight, with BBQ ribs, cole slaw, beans and beans, Jean requested a N
> Rhone Syrah, so I came back with:
>
> 2000 Alain Voge Cornas "Vielles Vignes"
> nose: dark berry fruit, smoked meat, stones
> palate: medium body, fully resolved tannins, acidity
>
> This wine had also been purchased locally a few years ago, and CT notes
> indicated that it was probably ready to go. *Indeed, this wine seems
> unlikely to get any better than it is today, though it will probably
> develop more tertiary characteristics with more bottle age. *Very, very
> good Cornas, if not quite up to the level of Verset or Clape. *Not a
> great match with the BBQ, either.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

thanks, I also really liked the 07 St Veran.
I've found midlevel 00 Cornas (like Voge, Juge) to be drinking well
good notes

[TN] '08 Drouhin St. Veran Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 16-10-2009 10:46 PM
Ponsot, Voge, Dominus, Warres, Fonseca, Essencia Bill S. Wine 3 24-05-2008 08:00 PM
TN: '05 Drouhin St. Veran Mark Lipton Wine 0 16-11-2006 04:56 PM
St Veran Lawrence Leichtman Wine 4 20-05-2006 01:57 AM
Drouhin 01 St Veran jcoulter Wine 0 11-04-2004 03:04 AM