Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Loire Night with the guys (plus one white Burg)

Dinner last night was grilled citrus marinated mako with chutney,
grilled sardines with an herb sauce, brown rice, and asparagus. Wine
was the 2007 Pernot Bourgogne Blanc. As usual, a real winner- real
Burgundy character, clean fruit, minerals, a hint (just a hint) of
hazelnut. B+

After dinner, Rob and I headed to Fred's for local wine group. Theme
was Loire, Fred had made some nice pork tenderloin, tuna salsa, lemon
tart, plus had some cheeses and pates. I could have skipped dinner!

NV Taille aux Loups "Triple Zero" (unsure of appellation)
Dry, appley, crisp. OK version of non-dosage bubbly. B-

On to the blind wines
Red #1 -medium bodied, spicy, bright acids. There it is- that "potted
plant" aroma I associate with Loire Gamay (I called my mom today to
ask what those plants were she put in garage in winter- she says
geraniums and begonias). Not as strong as some Loire Gamays, but
there. But before I can guess, Fred says if I get variety he'd give me
choice of any bottle in cellar. OK, so definitely more obscure than
Gamay or Pineau d'Aunis. Turns out it's Pinot Meunier. Wouldn't have
gotten that in 30 guesses! Nice wine, but that strange plant aroma
that I seem to be sensitive to detracts a bit. B
2008 Puzelat Le Rouge Est Mis (just generic VdT, but Fred shows a
Loire map -grown near Orleans)

Red Wine #2
Pretty easy to spot as Cab Franc - good acidity, solid red fruit.
There's a little hint of brett, but well within my tolerance level. I
guess Chinon. B
2006 Domaine de Bourg "Les Graviers" St.-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil

Red Wine #3
My wine, no guesses from me. Everyone thinks Cab Franc, I confirm
Chinon. Half of table is guessing 2002 or 2005, other half 1996 era.
Clean red fruit, mostly integrated tannins, soft easy acids, some
herbs. Drinking very well right now. A-/B+
2000 Breton "Les Picasses" Chinon.

Red Wine #4
Ripe red fruits, just a hint of green herbs, moderate acids. Pretty
tasty. Fred and I both are certain it's Cab Franc, we're told no.
Damn! Wait, it's unveiled. It's a Chinon! Turns out guy who bought it
(not a geek) relied on a shelftalker that said it was Cab Sauvignon.
Whew. B
2007 Joguet "Cuvee Terroir" Chinon

Red Wine #5
Biggest wine we've had so far, but nice balance of tannins, fruit, and
acids. This is really young, but delightful. I'm thinking something
like a Baudry Grezeaux, but it's the 2008 Breton "Clos Senechal"
Bourgueil.
Nice showing, A-

Red Wine #6
Raspberries and cherries, a little green pepper, nice but not my fave
of night. B. 2008 Baudry "Les Granges" Chinon

Red Wine #7
Big, ripe, soft, a bit sloppy. Is this a 2003 Cab Franc? C+/B-
2005 Gouron "Terroir" Chinon

A few whites to finish
Blind White #1
Big structure, a hint of sweetness (RS?), grapefruit. First sniff I
think Chenin Blanc, but then I decide it's Sauvignon Blanc. Fred says
"Dale knows this wine" so I guess Cotat (Sancerre with a little
sweetness, as per a recent WLDG discussion). My best guess of the
night, but as much social engineering as tasting. A-
2002 Pascal Cotat "La Grande Cote" Sancerre

Blind White #2
I'm thinking this Chenin Blanc is on the sweet side of demi-sec, but
before I can voice an opinion or take a second taste, it's revealed as
Romorantin, the 2005 Cazin "Cuvee Renaissance" Cour Cheverny. Not the
first time I confused CB and Romarantin, probably not last. This is
good, but seems less zippy than the 96 or 02. B

With Fred's lemon tart, he served a sweet white I had brought along.
The1996 Sauveroy Coteaux du Layon VV is beginning to show some age. OK
acidity, apple pie meets lemon sherbet, on the drier side of moelleux.
A bit short. B-/C+

Really fun night with the guys. As always, I left my car to pick up
this AM when walking dog. But bonus when an acquaintance spots me
walking at 11:45 PM and she gives me a ride home, saving 20 minutes of
walking (I don't mind walking with dog, but a bit boring alone!)

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**