Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 3 wines- Sicily, MSR, Margaux

2008 Selbach Piesporter Michelsberg Riesling QbA
Over 3 nights. I generally avoid PM wines, but this is an
overachiever. Straightforward crisp Riesling, bright appley fruit,
moderate sweetness. Refreshing, light. B

2007 Hauner Salina Rosso
With a kale soup with parmesan over sourdough, this was pretty good.
As it got air, got better. I didn't like the white that much, but this
was a lovely mid-to-lite wine. Nice ripeness, balanced, redder fruits
with a nice earthy edge. B/B+

1996 Ch. Siran (Margaux)
With strip steaks in a coffee rub, grilled squash, grilled favas, and
chayote salad. I'm mostly a fan of 96 Medoc, but more Northern than
Southern. But I bought this for a reason, so opened with anticipation.
Solid cassis and red currant fruit, but with a huge streak of herbal/
pine green down middle. With time over dinner the herbal streak became
more "accents of oregano" rather than " pine sap." Enjoyable if not
great after couple hours. Gains riper fruit as it drops the over-
herbalness. C to start, B to finish.

So.....I went and checked Siran's website. 96 was apparently Merlot
34%, Cabernet Sauvignon 46%, Cabernet Franc 8% et Petit Verdot 12%.
12% doesn't sound like much, but PV is potent. I'm guessing that's
where the pine forest came from.

I also read the back of Siran label (front always has a different
artist label, kind of a Mouton wannabe) and saw this:

"1996 saw the arrival of Internet, the latest system of communication.
Jeremy Ramsey, the famous British artist living in Singapore and a
great amateur of Bordeaux wines, has interpreted his idea of Internet
by a rich pallete of colors for the 1996 Chateau Siran label."

Just kind of tickled me.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**

TN: Winter wines (Germany, Rioja, Sicily, US) DaleW Wine 2 15-02-2014 05:35 AM
TN: Post Thanksgiving wines- Sicily, Liguria, Wachau, South Africa DaleW Wine 5 04-12-2013 09:22 PM
TN: Cathleen serves 14 Margaux AC, plus Truchot, Margaux, Taittingermand Ployez-Jacquemart to SOBER DaleW Wine 5 09-05-2013 10:53 PM
TN: Sicily and Alsace DaleW Wine 9 11-01-2011 07:42 PM
WTN: Wines, mostly at Cape May- Burg, Bdx, Bojo, Loire, Sicily DaleW Wine 0 11-06-2009 06:22 PM