Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Burgs, Rioja, Rhone, Bdx, Loire, and Valpo at La Panetierre

On 2010-04-13 20:38:41 -0700, DaleW > said:
> 2002 Vatan "Clos la Neore" Sancerre
> Riper/rounder than expected, sweet apple and peach, but plenty of
> mineral notes. B++
>
> (warm oysters with braised leeks and beurre blanc)

Just an off the wall question - were those oysters warmed, but still
translucent, or were they cooked through but not hot?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 15, 8:32�pm, Ronin > wrote:
> On 2010-04-13 20:38:41 -0700, DaleW > said:
>
> > 2002 Vatan �"Clos la Neore" Sancerre
> > Riper/rounder than expected, sweet apple and peach, but plenty of
> > mineral notes. B++

> > (warm oysters with braised leeks and beurre blanc)

> Just an off the wall question - were those oysters warmed, but still
> translucent, or were they cooked through but not hot?

I wondered the same thing because from a texture standpoint a warm,
but raw oyster would remind me of......well.......snot.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2010-04-16 03:53:47 -0700, "Bi!!" > said:

> On Apr 15, 8:32�pm, Ronin > wrote:
>> On 2010-04-13 20:38:41 -0700, DaleW > said:
>>
>>> 2002 Vatan �"Clos la Neore" Sancerre
>>> Riper/rounder than expected, sweet apple and peach, but plenty of
>>> mineral notes. B++

>>> (warm oysters with braised leeks and beurre blanc)

>> Just an off the wall question - were those oysters warmed, but still
>> translucent, or were they cooked through but not hot?

> I wondered the same thing because from a texture standpoint a warm,
> but raw oyster would remind me of......well.......snot.

Well put, I say...

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2010-04-16 10:01:53 -0700, Mike Tommasi > said:

> On 16/04/2010 18:49, Ronin wrote:

>>> I wondered the same thing because from a texture standpoint a warm,
>>> but raw oyster would remind me of......well.......snot.

>> Well put, I say...

> No problem here in France, oysters are ONLY eaten raw, but not warm. No
> risk of confusing with snot.

That's the only way I would eat them, too. The flavour totally changes
(and not for the better) when cooked IMHO...

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 16, 1:01�pm, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> On 16/04/2010 18:49, Ronin wrote:

> >> I wondered the same thing because from a texture standpoint a warm,
> >> but raw oyster would remind me of......well.......snot.

> > Well put, I say...

> No problem here in France, oysters are ONLY eaten raw, but not warm. No
> risk of confusing with snot.
>
> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail- Hide quoted text -

I've had them cooked in France. Poached, grilled, smoked and
broiled...never fried though. My preference is cold and raw.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/16/10 2:01 PM, Ronin wrote:
> On 2010-04-16 10:01:53 -0700, Mike Tommasi > said:

>> No problem here in France, oysters are ONLY eaten raw, but not warm.
>> No risk of confusing with snot.

> That's the only way I would eat them, too. The flavour totally changes
> (and not for the better) when cooked IMHO...

I agree that they are totally different experiences, but I find both
cooked and raw oysters tasty. If I were to avoid cooked oysters, I'd
have to give up oyster stew, oysters Rockefeller and Tomales Bay BBQ'd
oysters (my least favorite of the three).

Mark Lipton, mollusk-slut

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 15, 8:32*pm, Ronin > wrote:
> On 2010-04-13 20:38:41 -0700, DaleW > said:
>
> > 2002 Vatan *"Clos la Neore" Sancerre
> > Riper/rounder than expected, sweet apple and peach, but plenty of
> > mineral notes. B++

> > (warm oysters with braised leeks and beurre blanc)

> Just an off the wall question - were those oysters warmed, but still
> translucent, or were they cooked through but not hot?

Just cooked through, I'd assume poached with the fennel and butter
sauce
Count me in the "I love oyster raw or cooked" crowd. Besides the
cooked versions Mark mentions, I need a fix of plump fried oysters at
least once a year. And then there's pan roast, and .......

TN: SOBER does Burgs, Barolos, and Vouvrays, plus a Rioja, Champagne,Pfalz, and Rhone DaleW Wine 4 21-08-2012 01:55 PM
TN: Burgs and a Rioja DaleW Wine 1 05-04-2011 05:24 PM
TN: Burgs, Rioja, Rhone, Bdx, Loire, and Valpo at La Panetierre santiago Wine 1 15-04-2010 03:06 PM
TN SOBER does Bdx, CA, Rioja, Piedmont, Rhone,WA DaleW Wine 0 07-09-2007 03:28 PM
TN: lower end Burgs, Bdx, Rhone, Loire DaleW Wine 7 30-01-2006 06:38 PM