FoodBanter.com

-   -   Passover in the rear view mirror (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/395531-passover-rear-view-mirror.html)

[email protected] 09-04-2010 12:18 AM

Passover in the rear view mirror

Before it gets any later and I get even farther behind, and using
Dale's easy grading scale...

Second Passover Seder:

2004 San Germano Marchesi Alfieri Pinot Noir A
Solid, aromatic and just plain different from the usual Oregon and
Burgundy styles. I didn't even know they made real Pinot Noir in
Italy.

1997 Pedroncelli Dry Creek Petite Sirah B
This bottle had a bit of brett in it, not my cup of tea. None of the
others in the two cases I bought have had this problem, and they've
all been A+. A huge wine that did everything I expected it to when I
bought it 11 years ago. (And Pedroncelli's first Petite Sirah effort,
I'm told.)

1999 Owen-Sullivan Merlot (now O.S. Winery) A-
Not only lovely, but only 12.6% alcohol! Can't get that in Washington
anymore. (Or anywhere else, I'm afraid.)

2000 Serafini & Vidotto Nervesa della Battaglia A
Subtitled "Il Rosso Della Abazia," a thick and heady blend of cabernet
sauvignon, cab franc and merlot.

2005 L'Ecole No. 41 Columbia Valley Syrah A
Another Washington winner. So far I'm feeling pretty good! :)

2001 Domaine Bois de Boursanne Chateauneuf du Pape F
Oops! Totally bretted out. Decanting didn't help. Some people drank
it, I dumped it. None of my other bottles of this wine have been bad,
generally in the B+ range.

2005 Manoir de la Tete Rouge F
Corked. Too bad. The other bottle I had was a solid B.

2005 Windsor Sonoma Chardonnay
Beats me. I brought it for the one white drinker in the crowd, and
sent the dregs home with her. :) She seemed to like it.

2004 Ollier Taillefer Grande Reserve Faugeres C/A+
This was the last wine opened at the Seder, so 90% of it went home
with me. Didn't show much the first or second day, but the remaining
1/3 of the bottle on the third day just screamed.

Wines I brought that weren't opened:

NV Domaine Ducolomb Brut Bugey (traditionelle - 2005/2006)
2000 Thunder Mountain Bates Ranch Red
2006 Abeja Columbia Valley Cab
2007 Camano Cellars Aries Viognier- Wahluke Slope

Oh, almost forgot. Elijah got the Manischewitz. I'm thinking next year
he'll bring his own bottle and pay the corkage. LOL

JJ