Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1995 Chateau L'Evangile, 1999 Diamond Creek RRT

To kick off a "lamb fest" this weekend Icooked braised lamb shanks in
red wine. I rummaged around the cellar and pulled a couple of red
wines that I haven't had in a while.

1995 Chateau L'Evangile-The wine was beginning to show a slight amount
of brick in it's color and had a pink tinge at the rim. Aroma of
cassis was fairly strong on decanting and the nose showed a fair
amount of cassis, plum, red berries and wet rocks. Mid weight on the
palate and bit light on the mid and finish. "B-"

1999 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace-Still dark purple with no signs of
age. Blackberries, blueberries and mint on the nose. Fairly ripe
black fruits on the palate firm but fine tannins with substantial
length. "B+"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 4, 9:40*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> To kick off a "lamb fest" this weekend Icooked braised lamb shanks in
> red wine. *I rummaged around the cellar and pulled a couple of red
> wines that I haven't had in a while.
>
> 1995 Chateau L'Evangile-The wine was beginning to show a slight amount
> of brick in it's color and had a pink tinge at the rim. *Aroma of
> cassis was fairly strong on decanting and the nose showed a fair
> amount of cassis, plum, red berries and wet rocks. *Mid weight on the
> palate and bit light on the mid and finish. *"B-"
>
> 1999 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace-Still dark purple with no signs of
> age. *Blackberries, blueberries and mint on the nose. *Fairly ripe
> black fruits on the palate firm but fine tannins with substantial
> length. *"B+"

Do you think the 95 L'Evangile is just in an awkward place, or a bit
of an underachiever?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 5, 10:41�am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Apr 4, 9:40�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > To kick off a "lamb fest" this weekend Icooked braised lamb shanks in
> > red wine. �I rummaged around the cellar and pulled a couple of red
> > wines that I haven't had in a while.

> > 1995 Chateau L'Evangile-The wine was beginning to show a slight amount
> > of brick in it's color and had a pink tinge at the rim. �Aroma of
> > cassis was fairly strong on decanting and the nose showed a fair
> > amount of cassis, plum, red berries and wet rocks. �Mid weight on the
> > palate and bit light on the mid and finish. �"B-"

> > 1999 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace-Still dark purple with no signs of
> > age. �Blackberries, blueberries and mint on the nose. �Fairly ripe
> > black fruits on the palate firm but fine tannins with substantial
> > length. �"B+"

> Do you think the 95 L'Evangile is just in an awkward place, or a bit
> of an underachiever?

Underachiever. The components were all there they're just ratched
back to about half throttle. There was more on the nose than the wine
delivered on the palate.